Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #15

Mc4fun, is there a charge for updating clarion, I really love it when your traveling down a 20 year old highway and the road is not on the map and the GPS pointer is going in circles. WOW , I'm like you, clarion is difficult to use but usable. Did updating chip really help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jerry bies
Yes, there was a charge.... It is good for a year or 4 updates., the map system is supported through TomTom.
So as long as you update it twice before tour year is up that is great. I also opted to download camp sites and POI info total of 4.1 GB
There is also at least one software update for the unit available that will install first
The unit works and will work well as long as you spend time with it and learn how to use it. It is not as user friendly as the Garmin units.
Good luck, Feel free to pm me if you need help.
See next post for a quick tour of how to do it.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
My Clarion has been a disaster since we took delivery last year. I would like to try to what you suggest. Any chance you could share some more basic instructions for those of us too lazy to get out the manual? Thanks
Hey twojayhawks,
here is a quick tour of what I did:
  • remove micro SD card from unit, Little door bottom left of unit
  • There is also a large SD slot (comes with a blank from the factory) that you can remove and insert music on an SD card and play as you like, great if you have your own favorite tunes, make sure you put the music on the SD card without folders. MP3 is the format that will work for this.
  • Go to your computer and download Naviextras toolbar from clarion.com, look for update unit
  • At this point you will need to plug the mircosd card into your computer, may need an adaptor for this to make it an SD card, if you dont have one they can be had for cheap at amazon.
  • after downloading the toolbox, plug in the card, it will see the software on it, all your NAV info is on that card, and will find the update for you, it will then download it, and ask you to plug the card back into the unit.
  • once the unit boot up, remove the card again, plug it back into the computer, and the purchase the update, you will need to set up an account, remember the password as you will need it for the next update as well.
  • download the update usially about 4.1 GB, and your all set with the lates maps, I also downloaded campgrounds, POI,
  • once done plug it back inot the unit, turn the unit on and it should boot up and be ready to go
Remember to turn the unit off each time before you remove the micro SD card, to make sure it doesn't scramble the software.
it is a great investment of about 20 minutes and a few bucks!!!!

Hope this helps to get you going!!!! Good Luck
Old 04-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #18

Awesome instructions thank you Mc4fun!!!!!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think the Clarion provides great sound, but a lot of that was because of the cheap speakers that Newmar supplied. I replaced the speakers with some larger Kenwood speakers and will add a subwoofer in the near future. The speakers made a big difference. The Bluetooth phone capability is very clear and works well.

As a GPS unit, I found that it works as well as others. The only downside is the size of the screen, it could be a little larger. Often, you need to check to see how you have the GPS set. You can get some goofy directions when you select shortest versus fastest routes. One of the things the Clarion does well is to identify the correct lanes, with a display when a turn comes up. In 19K miles, it's been pretty accurate.

We've always run two GPS units while driving. I mounted a large Magellan unit near the passenger window that my wife operates and I can see. We map the main drive into the Clarion unit and my wife can find things like rest stops or other points of interest on the Magellan as needed.

Lastly, if you want to upgrade, check out the Pioneer units. They have several models that will fit the opening. They range as high as $1000.00. I previously had a Pioneer AVIC D-1 that had features, 10 years ago, some radios are just now getting. It was a great unit and came with a small peanut shaped remote that attached to the curve of the steering wheel. It allowed you to adjust volume and repeat driving directions, along with other controls, right at your fingertips. Some of their high end radio/GPS units still offer the remote.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Don - These (and a lot of other stuff you've posted) are really helpful comments for this soon to be Dutch Star 4018. Picking her up at the factory on June 6! Thank you for all of your contributions to the forum.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #21

Just a follow up regarding mc4fun's post on updating Clarion GPS. I completed the process yesterday. Would have done it sooner but I did have to source a micro sd card adapter. Anyway I updated the GPS software and also downloaded POI ($9.95). My Clarion GPS is functioning now where it simply did not work before. Specifically if you entered an address before it would literally NOT take you there. Thanks again mc4fun!!!!!!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No worries at all. Glad it worked out.
All these little things are with the few bucks I pay each year to support this forum
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am NOT a fan of the Clarion's navigation. I paid an updated map - and it wasn't cheap - and it has still failed me more times than it has succeeded. I won't bore you with the details, but some of its failures have been SPECTACULAR.

If you do choose to use the Clarion's navigation, be very careful about how you set the default route between Easy, Fastest, or Economical: It often thinks a long straight dirt road no wider than a golf cart is "easier" than routing me onto a freeway with multiple on-ramps and curves. Yeah... that was a fun trip through Palm Springs

That said, the Clarion has good sound (if you have good speakers), it has good Bluetooth connectivity, its screen is nice and clear for my rear view camera and it easily accesses Sirius/XM. It even has a really decent remote control which my wife/co-pilot loves. The swipe-screens are really easy to customize so that you have the most important functions right there at your fingertips when you need them.

All its good things are just good enough to convince me it's not worth swapping it out, but I am adding a Garmin RV before my next trip.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
use apps on smartphone for navigation

Instead of using the Clarion or another dedicated GPS unit, I use apps on my smartphone. Google is great because of the traffic info. It will warn you when things are bad on your route and suggest alternates. Since it doesn't have specific truck routing though, I also purchased the Co-pilot app for trucks. You can put in your height, weight, etc. I always check my route on the Co-pilot app before starting out and then use Google for actual navigation. Sometimes I have Co-pilot navigating on my smartphone and Google doing it simultaneously on my husband's phone. Besides knowing about low bridges, weight limits, etc, the Co-pilot is also nice because it's audio warning of exits on the interstate come about a mile sooner than Google's which is always nice when you're driving a long rig.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
DW uses Google maps on her iPad, when we exit the freeway. We had a hairy situation in Pigeon Forge, Clarion had us turn on to some narrow hilly road. I made a u-turn in a field, thank goodness it was dry. Of course I was already stressing when DW said "You should have followed Google" this made me a beliver.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:29 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Google Maps is great, we use it as a secondary gps, but it's not infallible. Got us completely lost in Arizona City once. Point is I think that it's smart to have multiple references, especially if you're unfamiliar with the area.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
I have a 2016 DS with the Clarion Navigation and radio. I do not like the navigation part at all. I am in the process of getting a portable to use. On two recent trips if I followed the Clarions directions I would have been lost or worse.

As far as the radio part it works great including Sirius. i didn't need to get anything extra to use Sirius.
X2
The Clarion does not allow for vehicle info that would filter height and weight restrictions. We have a portable Garmin on order.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Which Garmin model allows for input on height. I have never encountered low bridges but close calls on overhanging tree branches.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio