Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Questions regarding Multiplex Control

This is specifically regarding the DutchStar, not sure if it is the same for the higher end models.

This will be the 2015 / 2016 units.

Where can I find details regarding the Multiplex control. First for the lighting and then the shades if one takes that option on the DS.

I am looking for specifics i.e. who is the controller manufacturer, wiring diagrams etc. For the shades, who makes the motorized units, the motor itself and what controller manufacturer do they use i.e. Radio, IR, Digital etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it as we are getting ready to place our order in the next 30 to 60 days and this is one of the loose ends I am trying to wrap my head around.

Regards,

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

I have zero information on this but curious why you want to know or is this a FYi?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #3

Hi Jim,

On 2015 DS, the multiplex lighting is KIB and I believe completely hardwired. The small bit of documentation available suggests it is a one-wire variation on a regular CAN protocol. I don't know if it's intended to be user-expandable. Same system is used to provide control for electric floor heat, complete with UI bugs that are still being ironed, out, I understand.

The shades are made by MCD and controlled*with multiple radio remotes. On my unit the big remote cannot address every shade in the rig, so there are some hardwired dash mounted controls as well. There is some form of ignition switch integration for cockpit safety.

What else do you want to know? I have more unified automation on my list of things to play with down the road, so I'm curious...
Old 04-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Multiplex Control

Canuck 53,

With so much of the coach house controlled via an electronic bus and keypads for everything from lighting to shades to HVAC I wanted to find out the heart of the system of the system and what documentation is available.

In other words, when you push to button to turn on the floor heat or all the lights in the coach and nothing happens where do you start troubleshooting. I feel that we are no longer dealing with relays and switches and while technology is great, if a switch panel goes down and needs to be replaced what is the process to pair and program a new switch panel. Or the central controller for that matter.

Then there is the interest in how to interface other devices as well as to maintain the system when it goes out of warranty. The dealer network for almost all coaches can barely keep up with the standard stuff, what to do if the central controller for everything goes down would be a great thing to understand.

It became evident to me that there is a lack of information and documentation on these systems, not only with Newmar, but all coaches embracing this technology.

Right now it is not so much a need to know as a want to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
I have zero information on this but curious why you want to know or is this a FYi?
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #5

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Is it possible to add, change or move buttons? Or are you stuck with the layout that Newmar come up with.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #6

I've had similar interest in expansion. The www dot kid dot us website has a little info plus a phone number.
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

Thanks I understand the need for info and understanding. I think and feel uncomfortable with the technology in the coach's. We typically do not have the same need in the new cars we drive that is full of technology. The difference is the length of time and resources that have been devoted to the 15 million cars built in the US just last year. Never mind the repair/towing facilities for cars. Thanks for starting the discussion maybe even Newmar will provide more information going forward.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What you need to do is go into the COM_NET network and look through it.
Here is a link to help you get around there maybe more than one page on each page small arrows at bottoms of pages.

E-PLEX would be in the Tech info link.
You will find links in QT's # 3 also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote