RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #1

Quietest 2016 Gas Coaches - Which one?

We are ready to purchase a new gas coach. We have sold our diesel and are looking to downsize to a 34 to 37 foot coach. We are now looking at 3518 Baystar and 3513 Canyon Star, both 2017 models. Both will have Ford V10 in them. Does anyone know if their is a sound difference upfront? If so which is quieter. While talking about this is their any options from the factory or elsewhere to make them even quieter? I know from test drives they are much louder than our pusher - but for the price difference - less than half and our use expected to be 8 weeks or less per year - just can't justity or afford a new Diesel.

Some people say keep the diesel, I am getting older and the coach runs great - but it is 11 model years old now - so I think I want all new appliances, etc. to finish our golden years with.

Finally, I think for the money we are probably going to go Bay Star route - we were in the Canyon Star but basically same coach will be $15,000 less - and Chassis now very similar. 24K on Bay Star and 26K on Canyon Star. NCC is 4100 plus on Bay Star and 5100 plus on Canyon Star - neither one is an issue.

Thanks for your input!

Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

I have the Bay Star 3518 and love it, I looked at Canyon Star's and thought the same thing for the money difference. The Canyon Star's cockpit area is a little nicer, but not enough to justify the money.

As for the noise, I haven't had or driven a DP, but don't think there's a lot of noise compared to other MH I've ridden in. Newmar does a pretty good job insulating the dog house.

Magilla122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

We have the Canyon Star 3610(now the 3710) and love it. At the time we bought ours the Baystars, which we really liked, only came on the smaller chassis with the 19.5 tires. When we bought ours we only paid a few thousand more for the Canyon Star and it was definitely worth it, as we got the 22.5 tires(which the Baystar's now have), bigger chassis, taller ceilings, bath and a half and several other features. It also felt a little roomier due to the taller ceilings, so something to consider. So it is not just a bigger cockpit area. To us it was well worth the extra money.

It drives great, does not roll/sway and does not get pushed around buy the wind or big trucks. As for the engine noise, Newmar does a great job of insulating the engine compartment. When driving on the flats you can barely hear the engine, when climbing or descending grades it will get louder but nothing that is uncomfortable, we can still carry on a conversation or listen to the radio.

Good luck on your decision, they are both great MH's and you won't be disappointed.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have been spoiled for years with your DP engine behind you.
With the engine up front now will seem louder than it actually is and the engine is lower now on the new RV chassis compared to the older Ford truck chassis.
Newmar always done a good job of cutting noise and if there is room under dog house you maybe able to add a additional sound barrier.
Good luck on your down grade, keep enjoying as long as you can and safe travels to you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been looking at the same issues. New Bay Star has 22.5 wheels, but according to Ford, you only get about 43 degrees wheel cut on the 22k chassis and 50 degrees on the 24 and 26k chassis. Then there is the 19.5 or 22.5 decision if you look at the sport.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #6

Gas coach, quiet? Buwahahahahahaha. That's funny

But seriously, it's not terribly loud. It's tolerable. My 15 CS is not quiet by any means, but the noise is not overwhelming. I can drive 8 hours without much noise related fatigue.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We went Canyon Star because of options and floor plan, plus the similar differences between Ventana LE and Ventana. As far as noise is concerned, in the last 3200 miles (28 days) on the east cost might have had 3 times noise was an issue, sure IMO not worth spending $100K more and $1000's when time for maintenance. Maybe if when we consider full timing, we might change our mind, but since the only functionality we are missing vs Ventana is Comfort Drive (which since ours runs so nice, but be god like) not complaining at this time. Also the fridges they are putting in the new Ventana's also do not have ice makers on the door, at least the ones at Hershey this year, really would miss door ice.

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, gas, quiet

« Tampa Rv show | DPF »