Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
Thanks again Len. I assumed it would be MUCH louder when going up hills. We had a 2003 Mountainaire on a Workhorse Chassis, and found the same thing - but also found we weren't driving in those conditions all that often. When I test drove it, it was unloaded and no toad of course, but the coach would really move. I was on a test expressway and it hit 80 mph so quickly and easily I was amazed! I didn't even realize I it was going so fast. But I noticed at around 65 under the same test conditions the coach was purring, not loud and kept RPM's low. I used to push the DP to 75+ a lot, but we are retired now and have no need to be moving so fast and the fuel savings will justify enjoying the ride. By the way, what kind of mileage do you think we will get running around 65? I'm probably too optimistic, but I was hoping for 8.0. Our DP got about 6.5 running 75.

Thanks for the input from others and especially 39 model owners!
Interesting about he 80 mph, on my unit the top speed seems to be 75 mph, I can only assume it has some type of governor on the engine.
As far as MPG, 70 mph = 5.2, 65 mph=5.8, 55mph= 6+ all just observations using Gas buddy when I get gas. This includes pulling Wranger Unlimited.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #16

The coach is a little loud when climbing but not unbearable. The engine compartment is well insulated. Open up the dog house and left up the top. That thing is heavy. Compared to other makers the Newmar is quite. BTW I got over 8 mpg with my 34 foot canyon star. But I wasn't towing a toad either. But I do have a 5 speed. And was at 63 mph most of the trip.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #17

My 2016 3710 is not noisy and had plenty of power on the hills on our trip thru KY and TN back in the spring (no TOAD, but otherwise loaded with all of our usual stuff and 1 extra person). Many occasions I was passing semis and even a couple other RVs going up the hills. The V-10 does make noise especially in the lower gears using the Tow/Haul to engine brake on the downhill runs. The noise certainly does not drown out the radio or regular conversation. I just have one, annoying squeak/rattle/thump that seems to be above, forward and to the left of the drivers seat. Have not been able to identify and solve that one, yet. Aside from that, the CS is much quieter than other gassers I have ridden in or driven.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #18

We took ours to Colorado in August. Going up Raton Pass pulling a Wrangler Unlimited that weighs 4600 lbs, we did struggle. We were able to manage 45 mph most of the way up, and yes it was somewhat noisy, but we made it fine. I did not push it hard. We elected not to try Wolf Creek pass but did go over the pass from Antonito, Colorado, to Chama New Mexico. It was 6 continuous miles of 7% grade. No one was behind us, so I took it easy at 35 mph.
No problems of any kind except for the Satellite antenna, but Winegard shipped a new one to our campground and all was well.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

We just tripped 2800 miles east coast top to bottom NH to Daytona and went through PA with roller coaster hills many with elevation signs on top 1000' ~ 1400'. We averaged 8.75 mpg for entire trip (including running generator about 20 hours). 2016 v-10 6 spd 40 foot canyon star. no tow. Noise was never an issue but if you rely on cruise it will drop down to 4th and run 4k on the steeps which is annoying......same when going down hillls with engine braking. I find that cruise off through hills and not let it shift via throttle application below 5th and maintaining speed is just fine with a little head start run when approaching the hill. Cruise off for down hills reduces the engine braking downshifts as well. Changed oil / filter and greased chassis at campground in fla cost me about $50 and took less than 1 hour. That's 7 quarts of mobile 1 and a motorcraft filter.
Once we got onto the flats below PA, it was full cruise control and rarely downshift and never beyond 5th. The new v-10 has decent torque in the driving rpm range of 2200~2600. Engine was quiet, ride was pleasant. Gas was $1.80~2.30 per gallon. Total fuel cost for the trip was about $700. We are very happy with the gasser.
HotRodLincon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, quiet