Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Smile R O Water System

Today' project was to install my Watts .R O water system. I fabricated a cradle between the frame rails for the bladder tank and a permeate pressure boosting pump. The filter and membrane unit was mounted on a wall just forward of the Oasis unit. It was a simple matter to cut the supply line for the fridge icemaker, feeding into the filter/membrane unit. Tying the bladder tank discharge into the half in. Pex line provides product water to the fridge. I can't describe how much I've missed this great-tasting water since trading coaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_164404-869649407.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	62542   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_1644182076431671.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	62543  

Name:	20140510_164245-959570641.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	62544  
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #2

Nice Slabman. What capacity RO unit are you using?
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
It's only a 24 gpd system, but enough for my needs. I can add a larger membrane or a second one if I get time to convert to a whole-house system.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Today' project was to install my Watts .R O water system. I fabricated a cradle between the frame rails for the bladder tank and a permeate pressure boosting pump. The filter and membrane unit was mounted on a wall just forward of the Oasis unit. It was a simple matter to cut the supply line for the fridge icemaker, feeding into the filter/membrane unit. Tying the bladder tank discharge into the half in. Pex line provides product water to the fridge. I can't describe how much I've missed this great-tasting water since trading coaches.
Hey Slabman,

You're probability going to get some questions from us, that looks like the way to go.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With that said I will add to QT's # 3. Enjoy the water.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

We like RO water too, but I have been reluctant to install permanent RO system due to the amount of waste water. At a ratio of 1:3, the waster will add a lot of gray water in a hurry if the tank is used very much. Do you have an easy shut off for the RO system for times when too much waste water would be problem? Another solution?

We are currently using a small portable system that just fills portable containers when we connect it.

Thanks
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
On my previous coach, I plumbed it to discharge either into the gray tank or on the ground. Honestly, I couldn't tell much difference...how much are we really using-just for drinking and ice?

This time I elected to discharge onto the ground only. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hardly see any difference between this and fresh, unfiltered water.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #8

Slabman, If you were in AZ you would notice the difference immediately. That's why I use whole house RO from my fresh water tank. Tastes great and keeps the plumbing clear of deposits.

Al Sawyer
Newly resided '05 Mt Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a whole coach system that is rated at 300 GPD. It is connected directly to the fresh water tank. Waste connected to the grey tank. I run when we are hooked up and leave the grey water tank valve open. Works great. Comes on and off automatically based on the tank level through an existing solenoid valve. The same control that would shut off city water to prevent overfilling. Typically it will generate RO water around 7-10 GPH which means I only have to run several hours a day to replenish. Because I use the fresh water tank as an open tank and not pressurized - I do need to use the water pump.

Dave
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #10

Well done Dave, where did you mount the membranes?
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spinn, I mounted it in the space between the hydro hot and the cargo tray to one of the structural tubes. Location provides plenty of clearance for moving the tray in and out.

Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnavigator View Post
We like RO water too, but I have been reluctant to install permanent RO system due to the amount of waste water. At a ratio of 1:3, the waster will add a lot of gray water in a hurry if the tank is used very much. Do you have an easy shut off for the RO system for times when too much waste water would be problem? Another solution?
The ratio of waste water can be reduced by adding additional RO Membranes in Series where the latter membrane gets its water from the previous membranes "brine" or "waste". In my case I'm running a pair of 75gpd membranes plumbed this way and my waste is plumbed "south" of the gray water valve. Since I only produce RO when at a CG and I am connected to Water and Sewer the waste discharges directly into the CGs sewer.

As far as shutoffs for the RO System is concerned, I have a Pressure Switch which prevents the RO Pressure Pump from running unless there is pressurized water available for RO production.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We will be running whole house RO when we get our coach. We have been running it in our 5er for the last 5 years. The wife likes the lack of water spots on everything including the shower.

I use the campground shower because I think our shower is too small.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slabman, nicely placed!

Here's a photo of our Whole House RO System since we are on this subject. Shown is the Triple Filtration Canisters, the two RO Membranes (Right Bottom), the RO output line plumbed into the Fresh Water Tank Fill Line and the Brine or Waste line plumbed directly into the Dump Valve System (Center Bottom)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Waterbay4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	62656  

Tags
water