Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
So, did you try every wall switch in the bedroom and notice what it did turn on or off? Is your DS gas or diesel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
it is a dp yes I tried the switches in the bedroom and on the wall before going into the bedroom there are a total of 3 switches 2 are for the lights one up higher is for the slideout
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2000 and 2005 Mtn Aire the speaker switches were located with the courtesy lights or (Night lights) that light the floor in three places. Also on my 2005 the pioneer stereo has a button on the bottom of controls that is marked REAR that turns off the rear speakers completely !!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
I tried the fader. It did turn off the speaker in the kitchen area but not in the back bedroom. And can not find any other switches in the bedroom? Thanks again for all the help
That is confusing... when our radio fader (and most all fader controls) is turned one way the front speakers are muted, and when turned the opposite direction, the bedroom speakers (back speakers) are muted; the kitchen speakers are muted with the front (living room) speakers. This is just the way faders work. Of course, someone could have modified yours.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
I tried the fader. It did turn off the speaker in the kitchen area but not in the back bedroom. And can not find any other switches in the bedroom? Thanks again for all the help
That is confusing... when our radio fader (and most all fader controls) is turned one way the front speakers are muted, and when turned the opposite direction, the back speakers (bedroom speakers) are muted; the kitchen speakers are muted with the front (living room) speakers. This is just the way faders work. Of course, someone could have modified yours.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your correct Romeo, the two over head speakers in front have the kitchen speakers multiple off them.
Someone could have done what I did separate the multiple speakers and control kitchen off the fader control of radio.
The kitchens have to be rewired to do it off radio.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I think I have tried about everything but will play with it more in the morning. When I turn the radio fader all the way to the front it turns of the kitchen speakers but not the bedroom. I will see if there is a rear button some where else on the radio
Old 05-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is highly likely that your bedroom speakers are wired in with the front speakers allowing the kitchen to become the "rear" speakers.
A photo will show you the back of a Sony car radio. The arrangement is pretty standard -- modular plug going to the speakers and an external CD player along with RCA connectors for sound in from a source such as a TV.
Go to images.google.com and search on "sony radio pinout" to see several images and photos of the back of radios. Sony is no different from other radio mfgs of the past dozen years.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
OK here is what I discovered. With the radio FADER if I have it on the front the dash and kitchen speakers work if I have it on rear the bedroom speakers are on. I guess there is no way to shut off the kitchen and bedroom speakers at the same time ???
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
That's correct; and the way they are setup.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless you physically separate the kitchen from the wire set running into the plug and bind the kitchen pair into the bedroom pair. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, there is a method but it involves manipulating the wires behind the radio itself. Now, having said that, I have seen small switches installed on the face of the speakers allowing them to be turned on and off from the speakers themselves. Such a switch would be called a DPDT Mini Toggle Switch. You can look for them at Radio Shack or other electronics store. Then, all you have to do is connect into one wire on each speaker. Assuming you can reach the ceiling, no problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsonger47 View Post
... I have seen small switches installed on the face of the speakers allowing them to be turned on and off from the speakers themselves. Such a switch would be called a DPDT Mini Toggle Switch....
Acutually, one should use an L-Pad type of switch to maintain impedance to prevent damage to the radio audio output circuit. Radio Shack used to carry them. They are a switch that looks like a light dimmer switch. See the following links for more information.

L pad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
L-PADS
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks a lot for all the help guys
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to provide a scare here, but if there were going to be damage to the radio audio output circuit, that would already have been done.

The radio can output a range of ohms. That means it could to one set of speakers or handle ganging up to two per output (assuming the speakers were all the same impedance, which they probably are). Moons ago, radios used to not be so flexible and people would daisy chain speaker out the ying-yang and wonder why they blew their amplifier after it overheated.

That being said, you could get fancy and get the L-pad circuitry or just keep it simple and get the simple toggle switch. Of course, with the L-pad you could adjust the balance of what the amp is throwing at it so that, for instance, if turned to half-way then it would put out half of the volume that the other speaker was doing paired to it. Of course, for technical reasons it would exactly be one-half but, in layman's terms, that explanation works.

Tags
radio