RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
tvp

Has anyone had the new factory Modification done to stop the rain from entering the intake?

This is not the black baffle fix !

It is a new factory fix ??

Any Info ??

TVP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
tvp

Has anyone had the new factory Modification done to stop the rain from entering the intake?

This is not the black baffle fix !

It is a new factory fix ??

Any Info ??

TVP

Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't heard about any new fix for the water problem. The fix most of us have used is working for us and wouldn't change if there was one. What have you tried and why isn't it working for you?
A call to Newmar repair center,ask for Steve, may answer the question for you and if there is something new, your still under warranty they can put it in for you.
Did you check your air filter box so there isn't any air space around the tube fittings into and out of box some people have found a problem with theres. Shouldn't let the problem exist you have to do something. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
tvp

Hi 007, My 2004 Kountry Star is now at the factory to recive the new fix, This just came out so I have no idea what it is, I just took it back to my dealer and said fix it ! They called Newmar and since it was to go back for a new Hardwood Floor due to lifting they said they have a new fix for the water in intake problem and it was not the black baffle they used before, Just wondering if anyone had this new mod done yet ??

I will post some pic,s and info when it returns next week from the factory

TVP
Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your posting we'll all be anxiously awaiting their new fix hope it works for you. Pics would be great. "007"
Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #6

I have the rain problem on my 2006 Kountry Star, Has anyone heard about Newmars new fix.
or should I go ahead and implement the solution as sugested on this forum using the gasket from Auto-zone.loupina@gmail.com
biglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
biglou, looking at picture of new KS on Newmars site it shows upper crack of hood opening higher than mine 03. Newmar has been aware of the rain problem an you may have some mods already done for your 06, would think so.
If you can look thru the upper crack an can see where nothing will stop the rain from entering the air-intake horn it wouldn't hurt to place a weather strip as an added prevention to the water problem. By placing the strip you will raise the air horn opening the width of your hood opening. Double click on my posts and at the very rear you will get the posts{page52} where this was discussed back in fall of 04. Measure the crack opening you may not need a 3/8" bulb maybe smaller. "007"
Old 12-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
tvp

Well the RV Came back two days ago and whow what a fix, They re-designed the whole intake system using it looks like parts from a Freightliner ( Heavy Duty ) Clamps , Rubber flex joints, Alumin sleaves etc, They relocated the intake above and to the left side of the hood top opening, I will in the next few days try to post some Pic,s

Hats off to Newmar for this modification, Not just a Black Plastic Baffle !!

TVP
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They sure go thru alot of trouble, were as a simple weather strip would have solve the problem. Placing strip in upper crack moves air-horn entrance up the width of hood opening, plus it gets alot more fresh cool air, not heated air from upper chambers of hot radiator front end. Latest problems have been to much air space around piping into air box letting in rain water. A tighter ring clamp or gasket could help here. If it works for you that will still be a plus. "007"
Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #10

I have done both the new Newmar fix (large aluminum pipe and extension raising the intake - it has WH part numbers on yellow tags on the parts) and recently I did the bulb gasketing above the hood opening. I did the bulb gasket myself as posted here. I hope the combination of the two works. I drove the coach in the rain with just the new Newmar/WH fix and did not have a problem but the rain was light. Lately I thought what the heck - the gasket would also be a good idea so I did it too.

Beforehand I was of the opinion that it was under Newmar warranty and WH warranty and they should fix it. I did not want to add something and have a warranty problem and hear "well you should not have done this or that" so I wanted them to handle it. When the warranty ran out recently I added the rubber gasket for insurance. After having a problem on the interstate going uphill in the heavy rain I will take all the help possible. I have also inspected the air filter area and found no openings. Will probably encounter heavy rain somewhere soon to check it out.
One caution I would like to make is that I had to trim the rubber some widthwise not lengthwise. It bound the latches up with the extra pressure and I like to have never got the hood opened until I trimmed it a little. Hope we got it now - this has really been a PITA for driving in the heavy rain. Good Luck.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fillitup, you will be thankful you put in the strip its worked for me since I put it in, fall 04, thru some heavy rains.
You do have to trim the strip before it goes around the bends of the hood opening. On my hood opening just behind the hinges there is a 1/2" space were I placed the strip, this makes for a complete seal across the entire upper crack of hood opening. You do not have to cut to go over the hinges.
If anyone wants more info just go to my posts, pg 53, will give you more info. "007"
Old 01-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #12
cfw

I was on the site yesterday and I thought that I saw pictures of the fix, was I wrong.
cfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
tvp

If you go to rv.net site under A motorhomes look under Newmar workhorse rain fix in the threads and you will see the pic,s

I did not know how to post them on this site

or send me your e-mail and i will send to you

tvp
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
cfw, welcome to irv2 good to have you aboard. If we can be of help just ask. "007"