Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Rallies and Shows

Just curious what everyone likes as far as rallies and shows. What is your favorite event? How many do you go to in a year? At this point we have joined FMCA, Passport America, Good Sams, Escapees but haven't been to any of their events. We are going to a Freightliner Rally followed by Camp Freightliner this coming summer. It will be our first experience and we are excited. We have gone to the local RV shows but they are certainly small in comparison to the big events.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a whole mix of people in this group. Some despise rallies and prefer to travel alone, others seem to travel from one rally directly to the next one.
Enjoy your Freightliner Rally and if you like it, try some of the others. All of the groups you have joined offer rallies and events.
For us... We do 2 to 3 rallies a year and always travel to the Florida Supershow in Tampa and occasionally travel to the Hershey RV Show in Pennsylvania.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as rallies, but you're missing out on an awesome group of folks who just might have similar coaches...

I would suggest joining the https://newmarkountryklub.com.

The Newmar Kountry Klub has local chapters who meet and travel throughout the year and they have an annual International Rally that's one of the most enjoyable that I've ever been to. My youngest daughter was 12 at the time I took her to Gillette, Wyoming to the Newmar International and she still talks about it today.

Lots of fun and a chance to meet some good folks....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

I have tried to look into NKK but haven't found a great deal of information about it. That is what all it does or other opportunities that are there being a member of it. I know we have signed up for quite a few different groups/organizations. I figure after our first year of full timing we can look at which ones benefit us the most and stop the ones we don't use.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
I have tried to look into NKK but haven't found a great deal of information about it. That is what all it does or other opportunities that are there being a member of it. I know we have signed up for quite a few different groups/organizations. I figure after our first year of full timing we can look at which ones benefit us the most and stop the ones we don't use.
We just came from the Tampa RV show with NKK. Great time as always!

Here is the calendar list.

https://newmarkountryklub.com/events/list/
Old 01-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
We just came from the Tampa RV show with NKK. Great time as always!

Here is the calendar list.

https://newmarkountryklub.com/events/list/
Ok, I guess I didn't look to hard. They have a lot going on. I will certainly give it a thought after we get going.

Thank you
Old 01-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

When we initially began traveling full time we joined numerous organizations. I guess our thoughts were along the lines of wanting to be apart of the "RV community".

To be honest we have never been to a rally or RV club type event in 8 years. We still retain membership in organizations such as PA, GS, and others that offer CG discounts, etc.

Our annual travels keep us busy constantly. Exploring new places, meeting RV friends at different locations for motorcycle riding, visiting family, and spending winter down time in Florida with great RV friends at our spot here. I'm just not sure how we would ever carve out a week or two for attending a rally somewhere.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

Only Rallys we've been to were on the other coast.....and going again in Sept.......most of the folks we've met on forums, live on the wrong coast!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

Off to quartzite today.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have been to the 2019 Tampa Supershow with the Newmar Rally and the 2017 NKK International Rally in Sedalia MO. First, we met our new best friends at the 2017 event and have stayed in touch with them consistently. Second, Newmar provides an hour of labor at these rallies which offsets the cost of any repairs they are making (we had a slide motor and the front door hinge both replaced with the parts being the only charge!). Third, it is a chance to touch base with other Newmar owners with similar coaches for tips and tricks! Definitely recommend NKK - and at $65/ year it’s a steal (by the way, Newmar pays for your second year!).
Old 01-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I would look at the FMCA rally in Perry GA. There are dozens of great seminars to attend. Lots of vendors and displays as well as entertainment. Well worth the trip.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We've tried various shows and rallies. When we bought our first DP in 2005, we joined an RV group. We found that they always started the rally on a Wednesday or Thursday. We were still working and never got to go, as we would have missed half of the rally.

We went as a guest with a couple of local clubs, like Elks (I'm an Elk member). We found that our particular Elks group, sat all day, ate a lot of meals and went to bed early. Other groups like to do wine tasting and spent the rally days doing tours.

We've attended a few FMCA Rallies, and often look for ones at locations we've never been to. We quickly found, if the rally starts on a Wednesday, the regulars are there by Monday and you'll be parked way out back. I'm a gadget guy, so I like any shows or exhibits associated with the FMCA type rallies. They always have live entertainment and seminars. You'll find that many like rallies and spend a lot of their RVing time at them.

So...….only you can decide what YOU like to do while RVing. Personally, we like to sight see and go to various areas to explore and really like National Parks. We're not big wine drinkers so wine tasting rallies are out for us. I'm fat enough, so rallies where everyone just sits and eats is not good for me. You also have to look at the age groups that you'll be RVing with. Obviously, some groups may be too old for you and your activities and some may be too young for you.

Try the various rallies and shows and you'll soon discover what you like and don't like.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We don't particularly like rallies and shows. But we try to go to at least one a year. There is no denying that there is a ton of experienced people at Newmar rallies and we always learn a few more things about our coach when we attend. You do have to seek out that knowledge but most are willing to answer any questions you may have about your rigs, or issues you may have.

As far as the shows go, I like to attend one a year to see if there are any new items especially safety related that are a must have, but the crowds are a turn off.

This year we attended the Quartzsite RV Show and the Newmar rally. Since we just had solar installed a few weeks before that gathering, we picked up some valuable solar knowledge from people way more experienced than us. We were also able to resolve our issue of water syphoning from the fresh water tank as we drove. We filled up with fresh water before leaving Phoenix for the rally, when we arrived at Quartzsite we had 2/3 tank and had not used any water during the trip.

This is the main reason we attend rallies. We tap into a large pool of knowledge of folks always willing to share. Perhaps next year there will be someone new to solar that we can help, or have the same syphoning issue.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #14

The comments are great. I know we will meet a lot of great people in campgrounds as we always seem to. I thought possibly in the rallies we would be able to make even more connections that as we travel will see folks again. I think RVillage will be a great tool for that.