Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rand McNally Navigation - Weight Restrictions

Today I drive from Vermont to Danforth Bay Camping and RV Resort in New Hampshire using the Xite Rand McNally navigation system. All was well until we were nearing our destination and the navigation system informed me that our route included 1.7 miles on dirt roads. I thought this was odd since I believed the CG was in a somewhat civilized area. As we got closer, the navigation system warned me of upcoming weight restrictions and directed me onto a series of dirt roads to avoid the restrictions. Thinking that there was a weight restricted bridge(s) ahead, I complied with the instructions and took the first detour. Needless to say, the road was not designed for a big rig and I momentarily got stuck pulling back onto main road. [I ended up disconnecting the toad and also utilizing the Hadley “raise” feature to get more clearance for the rear of the MH.

Once I was back on the main road, I proceeded without making the additional directed detours. The navigation system continue to complain about my vehicle being on weight restricted road, but I ignore the warnings as I didn’t see any road signs alerting me to the restrictions.

So I obviously learned that I need to review the complete navigation system planned route ahead of time, but even if I had, the navigation system would still have been yelling at me about the weight restricted roads ahead.

I’ve reviewed the navigation system setting and it’s configure for a 48,000 lbs RV with three axles, so no errors there. I’ve concluded that for whatever reason, the navigation system is erroneously giving me these warnings.

So, The DW and I are working on a mental “after actions report” and are trying to figure out what should have done differently? Obviously I could have reviewed the route in more detail ahead of time, but that really wouldn’t of solved my issue as the navigation system said I had to make these detours. I had no reason to think the navigation system was wrong. I’m thinking about contacting Rand McNally to figure out why the navigation system thought the roads were weight restricted. Were can I get better information on weight restricted roads. An paper map/atlas? Suggestions welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

Yes, a map is your friend. And a specialty map is your best friend.

Buy yourself the Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas. Truck routes, weight restrictions, tunnel and bridge information and more than you would ever need to know about driving a big vehicle throughout the USA. Roads are color coded as to whether they are suitable for 18 wheelers -- so of course, they are suitable for an RV.

There are two sizes -- big or huge. The pages are tough laminated stock, so they hold up well over time and use. Check it out. You won't be sorry, and I believe, instead, you will be pleasantly pleased.

It's on Amazon, and it's one of the best additions to any RV resource.

As to the problems with the last few miles when close to a campsite, I rely on the directions given to me by the campsite over the phone, or from the campsite's website posted directions. My 2 cents.
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Today I drive from Vermont to Danforth Bay Camping and RV Resort in New Hampshire using the Xite Rand McNally navigation system. All was well until we were nearing our destination and the navigation system informed me that our route included 1.7 miles on dirt roads. I thought this was odd since I believed the CG was in a somewhat civilized area. As we got closer, the navigation system warned me of upcoming weight restrictions and directed me onto a series of dirt roads to avoid the restrictions. Thinking that there was a weight restricted bridge(s) ahead, I complied with the instructions and took the first detour. Needless to say, the road was not designed for a big rig and I momentarily got stuck pulling back onto main road. [I ended up disconnecting the toad and also utilizing the Hadley “raise” feature to get more clearance for the rear of the MH.

Once I was back on the main road, I proceeded without making the additional directed detours. The navigation system continue to complain about my vehicle being on weight restricted road, but I ignore the warnings as I didn’t see any road signs alerting me to the restrictions.

So I obviously learned that I need to review the complete navigation system planned route ahead of time, but even if I had, the navigation system would still have been yelling at me about the weight restricted roads ahead.

I’ve reviewed the navigation system setting and it’s configure for a 48,000 lbs RV with three axles, so no errors there. I’ve concluded that for whatever reason, the navigation system is erroneously giving me these warnings.

So, The DW and I are working on a mental “after actions report” and are trying to figure out what should have done differently? Obviously I could have reviewed the route in more detail ahead of time, but that really wouldn’t of solved my issue as the navigation system said I had to make these detours. I had no reason to think the navigation system was wrong. I’m thinking about contacting Rand McNally to figure out why the navigation system thought the roads were weight restricted. Were can I get better information on weight restricted roads. An paper map/atlas? Suggestions welcome.
I have always kept a Trucker's Atlas since my first RV that was over 12' tall. Prior to a travel day I will consult the atlas to make sure my planned route will be on a Class I route. For the roads that may have to be used as I am closing in on my destination I will use Google Earth and actually look at some intersections, bridges, and other features.

At times any GPS unit can steer you wrong. Yesterday we exited off I-40 going to a CG in Dandridge TN. Both the OEM built in GPS and our extra Rand RV GPS told us to turn left at the end of the ramp. I pulled off on the shoulder for a minute because I knew from reviewing my route in advance I should be turning right toward Douglas Lake. We quickly routed it using our I-phone and sure enough both the GPS units were wrong! I still don't know where they were taking us but we would have ended up winding around miles and miles on some unknown country roads if we would have followed them.

My point is NEVER TRUST ANY GPS especially when rolling down the road in one of these larger coaches. There are two things I purchase every year from a truck stop, a new paper trucker's atlas and the little blue book that shows each and every place a big rig can stop and either fuel or park in the U.S.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I have always kept a Trucker's Atlas since my first RV that was over 12' tall. Prior to a travel day I will consult the atlas to make sure my planned route will be on a Class I route. For the roads that may have to be used as I am closing in on my destination I will use Google Earth and actually look at some intersections, bridges, and other features.

At times any GPS unit can steer you wrong. Yesterday we exited off I-40 going to a CG in Dandridge TN. Both the OEM built in GPS and our extra Rand RV GPS told us to turn left at the end of the ramp. I pulled off on the shoulder for a minute because I knew from reviewing my route in advance I should be turning right toward Douglas Lake. We quickly routed it using our I-phone and sure enough both the GPS units were wrong! I still don't know where they were taking us but we would have ended up winding around miles and miles on some unknown country roads if we would have followed them.

My point is NEVER TRUST ANY GPS especially when rolling down the road in one of these larger coaches. There are two things I purchase every year from a truck stop, a new paper trucker's atlas and the little blue book that shows each and every place a big rig can stop and either fuel or park in the U.S.

A little blue book?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
At times any GPS unit can steer you wrong. Yesterday we exited off I-40 going to a CG in Dandridge TN. Both the OEM built in GPS and our extra Rand RV GPS told us to turn left at the end of the ramp. I pulled off on the shoulder for a minute because I knew from reviewing my route in advance I should be turning right toward Douglas Lake.

So getting off the I-40 ramp and being told by one (and in your case both) GPS units to turn left instead of right, I would concluded that there was some sort of restriction to the right and the navigation systems were bringing me in an alternate way. Obviously that wasn’t the case. Did the Atlas provide you with information on that secondary road showing you that it and future roads to the CG weren’t restricted?

If you had too, could you navigate all the way to the campground with the Atlas. I’m trying to understand how much detail it has as I’m used to seeing atlases at convenience stores which which cover one county as opposed to the whole country.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Not all the road info in Rand McNally’s map database is correct. I too have the Xite system and have been warned once of being overweight about a bridge that was not weight restricted even close to our weight. And my routing software to my home always warns me of dirt roads over the last mile before I arrive home.

My maps are updated and show no dirt roads near home. But I’ve seen an old map of my neighborhood and 20 years ago a section of my road was not compleated to the major cross street. So, somehow that old info is still in the long updated map in the GPS mapping software.

The RND system in the Xite gps does have a “tell Rand” function where you report errors like this. I’ve seen it but have not tried it.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

i’ve had the sane thing happen. i use the published directions to the campground/RV park in tge campground directory instead of the GPS.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the same problem twice and used my phone to stick to my chosen route. It has also told me to exit freeway for 5 miles and get back on ? I ignore it and hope for the best.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The RND system in the Xite gps does have a “tell Rand” function where you report errors like this. I’ve seen it but have not tried it.[/QUOTE]

I have used the Tell Rand function but no response from Rand in years.

There is a section of the Garden State Parkway that has big truck restrictions but it legal for all RVs. The thing scolds me constantly.

BTW, I keep a letter from the NJ Turnpike authority in my glove box stating I am allowed on that section of highway. (just in case).
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When the GPS is yelling at me and detouring me because of up coming restrictions, my basic instinct is to take the detour because I’m too heavy for the upcoming bridge or roadway. Most of the time, the restriction warnings are valid.

I can do as others have said, and follow the CG posted directions regardless of the warnings but now I’m putting my trust in the CG which as far as I know may not typically see big rigs. What’s the chance that the CG directions are valid, but just not for my size? And what if the detours are on roads before getting to the area of the campground? Will the atlas have the secondary roads covered? When traveling, we try to avoid the interstates and take the scenic US and state roads through the rolling hills and small towns.

Perhaps I’m overthinking this, but I want to avoid a repeat of the dirt roads that I took yesterday. I’m an engineer and need to see thing as black and white. I’m looking for the ultimate flawless resource which maybe doesn’t exist.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #11

We have had similar issues with our Rand McNally nav system—sent us on a detour through a city, apparently believing the highway was under repair/closed. Based on that experience, we always run google maps in parallel with the nav system. We usually take the Rand McNally route, particularly if it requires fewer turns—but not when it sends us on non-sensical detours. It is unfortunate to have a brand new nav system that you cannot trust.

I may well buy the atlas recommended above. We have one already, but it is not one for large vehicles/commercial trucks.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #12

our Xite RM GPS has a different problem...random re-boots, freezing, alerting me to turns way after I've made the turn. anyone else have that issue?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
our Xite RM GPS has a different problem...random re-boots, freezing, alerting me to turns way after I've made the turn. anyone else have that issue?
Yes, another recent thread on this. Supposedly Rand McNally just put an update out to address freezes/stability problems.

You need to download the Rand McNally Dock software, and update your SD card (remove it from the Xite and put it in card read on a PC/Laptop and run Dock software).
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Yes, another recent thread on this. Supposedly Rand McNally just put an update out to address freezes/stability problems.

You need to download the Rand McNally Dock software, and update your SD card (remove it from the Xite and put it in card read on a PC/Laptop and run Dock software).
ok, will do. the problem started right after i updated the SD card in preparation for a trip last winter. thinking i had a bad download i wiped the card and downloaded again but same problem.

didn't see the other thread...i'll look for it. thanks.

Tags
weight