RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Rat in our 2019 Ventana!

Well it finally happened! WE have had RV trailers and 5th wheelers for years and never had a problem. Our fairly new 2019 Newmar is parked in our RV garage with the slides out. The RV garage is rat and mice proof. We figured it had to get in when we had one of the garage doors briefly open at night. The rat made a mess of one full length bays (open at both ends) and was leaving its mark in the living room also. I set six traps out and caught it outside the RV.
Looking for some help from you more experienced MH RV'er's:
1. How the heck did it get in the bay?
2. How the heck ldid it get in the MH living room?
3. Now that we know it is not sealed, what is going to happen at a camp ground?
4. Where should I look for mice and rat access openings?
5. We put Irish Spring soap in the sewer/water bin. I am thinking of putting some more in all the bins now.
6. What else should I use?
I would have thought a newer MH would be sealed up tight!!!
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.....

bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Dom

Is it possible that one of your slides was not out 100%? That happened to me, was doing some repairs in kitchen that didn't require the slide to be fully out.Luckily for us I noticed it within a few hours, set traps ect but he was already gone.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok itís a mouse. This means it is smarter at getting into the motorhome than either you or me.

There may be any number of entry points that are unique to your coach. So not knowing your coach, no one here can give you an exact answer. This is not to say you wonít get lots of advice. It means you will get lots of advice that you will not know is useful until you waste lots of time trying to use.

My advice, ok warning see paragraph above, is to hire a reputable (not many out there) pest control company to determine you enter points. Then seal them.

And the fact is, based on evidence you provided, your perimeter defense is not adequate. I would look at that. My personal preference is lots of sticky traps baited with peanut butter.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

It sounds like your solution took care of the problem. Just keep a eye on things and if you suspect another rodent shows up, just set another trap.
Remember for the rodent this is their life and survival means. If they want to get in, they will find a way eventually.
Just because a MH is new, I have never seen one advertised as rodent proof.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #5

With us traveling over 20K miles a year and as many as 40 different RV parks we have a sticky mouse/rat trap with peanut butter on it glue down to the Oasis top to get them.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The answer to how did it get from the bay to inside? Their are gaps where the slide motors are, a very likely point. As far as the boys themself, sewer line access port or were the fresh water hose goes through the floor are suspect. Peppermint oil on cottons balls are also a great deterrent

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have an electronic unit plugged into the outlet in the Oasis bay. It uses two frequencies and actually warns that if it bothers you (humans) to turn one frequency off. I installed it because I kept getting a mouse nesting in the coach bays over the years. Once installed, I quit having the issue.

Two years ago, I think I placed something in a bay that had a mouse in it. I started finding mouse turds and went hunting. One day, I opened a bay door and he was standing there. He looked like he was drunk. He just stared at me. I took a stick and Ö..solved the issue.

I actually think the electronic device was making him crazy. He couldn't find a way out, so he just gave up when I opened the door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #8

Do you have your coach plugged in, in your garage? If so, do you use bronze wool to fill any gaps where the cord enters into electric bay. They can climb up the cord and get into the electrical bay. Same with water hose. Some people leave their bay doors open when it's in the garage because they think the garage is sealed.
I agree that anywhere there is penetrations from pipes, they probably didn't seal them up well.

I removed my washer from the closet to work on it and I noticed there was a large unsealed opening where the pipes went under the toilet from the washer/dryer cabinet. I filled that with mouse proof foam and haven't seen a rat inside since.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #9

I've had good luck with Fresh Cab https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Bot...33173900&psc=1
Old 11-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

1. Is it plugged in while in the RV garage?....Yes
2. Do I leave the bay doors open while in the RV garage?.....No
3. I like the idea of the frequency generator in the bay.
Which one do you have?
Does it bother cats or dogs in the RV parks?
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post

I have not had good luck using Cab Fresh. Note the picture of a mouse in the trap and a 2 bags of Cab Fresh under the hood under my truck. My thought is a hungry mouse won't be stopped by cab fresh odors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Cab.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	267604  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #12

How do you know it's just one?

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I have not had good luck using Cab Fresh. Note the picture of a mouse in the trap and a 2 bags of Cab Fresh under the hood under my truck. My thought is a hungry mouse won't be stopped by cab fresh odors.
Fresh Cab states not to use with bait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FreshCab_Tips.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	267627  
Old 11-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had problems with our previous coach and previous storage area with mice. We thought we had found all the entry points but was still having the problem. Last resort we wanted till dark outside and turn on all the lights in the coach and crawled around in the basements area and around the generator and found attentional areas with light shining though. Then put light in the basement and crawled around under the coach and plug spots. We were still getting mice and last resort we switched storage are to inclosed area that wasnít next to field and problem solved.

Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana