Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eglen:
I have to agree with you guy's. This is only our second DP, but WOW, the CD system is beyond words. Drove today in 35 MPH cross and head winds, No problem ! ! ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WELCOME to the forum!!

By looking at your profile I see your an '07 Essex owner,maybe you could add that to your profile's "signature" area and it would show up with every post.
If you ever ask a question,it helps everyone know what rig you own,without typing it every time...

Nice to see you on board!!

Wait til you have that Essex slip sliding down a snow covered mountain....Now THAT was not fun!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Having spent my career in the automotive industry, I cannot think of another launch of a high technology content product that has been so trouble free as comfort steer.

Having spoken w/Ken Sherwin of TRW, he and his team are ready to go troubleshoot and improve the system. He said he has not been on a plane in some time, meaning the thing ain't breaking.

Kudos to Ken and TRW for building quality into the design, launch and production processes.

Ken would not be drawn to expound, but said that there are some other innovations coming to the RV/commercial truck market soon.

Could be we'll see pictures of Bob's empty driver's seat in the future, b/c he's in back taking a break while the coach drives for a while.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could be we'll see pictures of Bob's empty driver's seat in the future, b/c he's in back taking a break while the coach drives for a while. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey...I've got the VORAD collision avoidance,all I need is a map and a plotter geared to the RV industry and I'll be all set!

With the Column Drive,the VORAD and it's smart cruise feature,all I need now is a destination and I've about gotten that figured out too!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is how Bob drives the LADB. One hand, shades down to block that pesky sun glare, and grinnin' from ear to ear.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

You're gonna get me killed!!

Don't tell 'em ALL the shades were down!!

Photo was taken at the Tampa show just after purchase...
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #20

You were probably sitting still

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #21

Na he's trying out that Vorad system in a blinding snow storm
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I took the picture, and I ain't sayin'.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #23

Yes but I was there too
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not when I took that pic.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #25

Iron Man, John, Regarding "Road feel", that was my intitial feeling. But then I figured it out, Why do you need road feel? Both wind gusts and uneven road surfaces cause an immediate feedback to normal steering. Each causing a knee jerk reaction in steering input that is in fact not needed in most if not in all cases. These sudden inputs contribute to over steer, a common event during gusty cross winds while driving a coach. Without the steering feedback no such actions are input to the steering. The coach continues going straight.
You really have to drive at least 1,000 miles and encounter varying wind and road conditions to properly evaluate the benefits with the Comfort Drive. Full appreciation of the CD can not be found in any test drive or early use.

Peter
Old 02-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #26

If you think about it, as you drive down a road and maintain lane position, you really want to know absolutely where straight-ahead is. If you pull the wheel a little bit right, you want to go a little bit right in the lane. If you want to stop drifting in the lane, you relax. If you want to go left a little bit, you pull left a little bit. When you change lanes (after using the turn signal and checking the mirror, of course), you move the wheel a lot. You want to be able to feel where that neutral position is. That's good road feel. Kick in the wheel at a pothole and pull in the wheel from wind are bad road feel.

Any opinions about this from the audience?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:45 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
With our 04 Essex it seemed we were drifting in our lane and I was constanlty correcting for it. It wasn't big corrections but with the coach taking up much of the lane there isn't much room for error. It may have been that that was our first coach and it was "learn by doing". It would be a nice change just to "point and go".
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #28

It seems to me Comfort Drive is the answer to nobody's problem, unless the problem is a mal-adjusted front end or a defective steering wheel actuator.

Driving down the highway in our MADP, I have my hand in my lap and my thumb and fore-finger on the wheel -- just like I was driving my Accord. Slight movements of my wrist keep her going down the middle of the lane, no matter crosswinds or passing 18 wheelers. The only time I need to fully grab the wheel is when making sharp turns.

What advantage does Comfort Drive offer? Can I take my hands off the wheel to drink my beer with both hands?