Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #29
Administrator Emeritus

Jason,
I don't care what anyone says,from my experience with a 39' coach and then a 40' coach without Comfort Drive,I can tell you that big coaches pull to some extent in a cross wind.
I've now owned an '07 Essex that I put better than 10K miles on and my recent signature coach that I just put about 4000 on here recently and I can tell you the Comfort Drive makes a difference in one MAJOR area in my book and that's the ability I now have for longer "seat" times if I so desire...With the 39' Winnebago Journey and the 40' Vectra,I was good for about three hours and then my lumbar started acting up,which meant I had to stop.
Even before the three hours were up I could feel the effects of actually "driving" the coach.
With the Comfort Drive,I now have felt it takes less effort,at higher AND lower speeds to operate the coach.
As I drive A LOT these days,traveling around to rallies and such, I have noticed that "medically" I am more rested and relaxed and not as tired and sore after the "marathon" two day drives I usually take.
This is important to me,as I like to be able to travel in less days and have more days to use when I get there...With the other coaches I was usually "wasted" the day after these travels.
With the Comfort Drive coach I am not.
It seems to me that at high speeds the coach seems to "center" better,as it corrects itself according to the crown in the road as you change lanes...When you change lanes the coach "corrects" itself and holds center...
Even in the crosswind scenario it adjusts accordingly.
There is also the added "return to center" feature,that at low speeds when either turning a corner or backing,is a nice to have feature.
Backing into a camp site? Spot the line you want to take into the site and let the wheel go...she'll stay right on track.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #30

I'm also good for about 3-4 hours in a car...I can drive the MH all day long, no problem. The difference for me is the seating position: I can adjust the MH seat just right for max comfort. It took a few months to get pedal position, seat height, arm rest height, etc. just right, but it has paid off. I broke 2 lumbar vertebra, so I'm very sensitive to driving position.

If one's experiencing fatigue whilst driving, I bet it's from improper driving position and not from lack of Comfort Steer.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #31

Jason, I have owned 4 coaches now and have had occasion to drive many more in varied driving conditions. Your description, in my opinion, is totally inaccurate or you don't drive in normal real world conditions. I suggest, if you drive with two fingers while passing an 18 wheeler in windy conditions with anything other than a Comfort Drive equipped motorhome or equivalent, you have a very good chance of losing control. I highly doubt your claim. The Comfort Drive is in a separate class and can and will do what if fact you claim your steering will do, but safely.

Please do not think I'm slamming you. I'm sure your MADP handles fine. It is very difficult to understand CC until you have driven one, and I mean 1,000+ miles, not around the block.

Peter
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #32

Doubt away...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Jason,
Have you ever driven across Nebraska (I80), Kansas (I70), or Oklahoma (I40), with 40+ mile per hour gusting cross winds? Have you ever driven RT 87 in way upstate New York with 50+ mile per hour gusting cross winds?

I'd like to understand your experiences driving a coach in adverse conditions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #34
Administrator Emeritus

While I understand your comment on driving position,I respectfully disagree that my "personal" issue is with improper seat adjustment,as I've only owned seats that were six or eight way power based on the similar lumbar situation you and I share.
Falling flat onto my back in 1975 in full turnout gear with an air bottle and harness on did wonders to my lumbar region...I was one of those goofy guys running INTO buildings while others were running out...

Seems like we can agree to disagree here...
Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #35

Clearly, some folks must have miracle machines. Even a lowly class C scooting across Kansas I70 with the (seemingly perpetual) wind blowing from the north at right angles to the road has the steering wheel (no lie) cranked 90 degrees from straight to compensate for the wind. No BS and this condition lasts for hours. Not exactly a thumb and finger grip for me!

Only an active steering system like CD can AUTOMATICALLY correct for that. CD is the exact same approach to active steering technology now optional in highest-end Lexus and Mercedes Benz. And only a computer controlled device like CD can compensate for truck blow and gusts faster than any human response - meaning steering corrected literally before you even knew there was a problem.

Yep, no question there IS a difference.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #36

Well. it seems to each his own tail. I remember a couple of years ago crossing Texas when winds were ripping after a day of tornados. I had driven accross Texas and then down to Desitination at South Padre Island. The talk in the campground that night and next day was of the gusty drive down for all those that had arrived that and the next day. The motor home beside me had arrived about 2 or so hours after me. In speaking to the guy of the high winds he claimed he couldn't even feel them and had no affect on his coach. That kind of suprised me as I had a coach of about equal weight and I sure felt it. A little later his wife was speaking to my wife and myself about feeling bad for her husband on the trip down to South Padre. She said he stopped twice and said "I just gotta have a break, trying to keep the MH on the road is terrible in this wind."

People apparently are pretty vein about how well their rig handles high winds and other road conditions, at the extent of leaving out what really happened. While this may be noble to their cause, it does nothing to improve the understanding of how coaches perform in the real world.

Peter
Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #37

BINGO! lug_nut
Fortunately, science isn't vain and the sheer physics of wind loads against a rolling billboard clearly paints the true story.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #38

On the other hand, if Jason is happy with his coach, I'm thrilled for him. If new technology can make unhappy people happy, I'm thrilled for you, too.

I guess I'm just thrilled.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #39

Hey Ken, I'm not adaptable easy to new things also. I drove the CD in the new Essex in Pomona with you on board. Okay, it had a remote shut-off, but the experience was about the same. Except for stopped, or near stopped, the CD was not that comforting, mainly because it was a new feeling. It took me a while to really appreciate it, not the round the block thing.

I'm sure power steering in autos was similar when it first was introduced. "I ain't got no feelin' for the road." was probably common. See any takers now for manual?

Comfort Drive, or at least the technology, is not for every one today, but it is for tomorrow.

Peter
Old 02-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #40
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Comfort Drive, or at least the technology, is not for every one today, but it is for tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's what I'm TALKING about....

Profound words....NICE!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Well I got to put about 500 miles on our 07 Essex yesterday. I like the comfort steer now and will grow to love it. Most of the trip we had cross winds, I think. I could hear the wind and every once in a while I would feel it. You could look at the trees and see it was there. It was wierd you saw the trees and heard the wind but did not have to correct for it. I amd sold. Just think in 08 all the Newmar diesel pusher will have it!!
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 AM   #42

Just so the rest of us will know---are you guys going to use guns or knives!!!!
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote