Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Re-seal Everything On Roof

We just experienced a leak during torrential rains last weekend. It was a continuous drip that required a pan. It was coming from one of the recessed light fixtures behind the passenger seat, in front of the jackknife sofa. I have been up on the roof and it looks to be in perfect condition. No cracks or blemishes. I called a highly rated mobile RV Repair guy, and he replied that he was booked through the summer and until late fall. The nearest trustworthy dealer is 5 hours away. Looks like I may be taking on the project myself.

Any experience, knowledge of products, or tutorials are welcomed. Remove old sealers or apply new sealer on top? Cleaners, preparation, etc.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

On our 04 Essex I go up on the roof once or twice a year and use self-leveling sealer from CW around all sealed area were I start to see small cracks. We bought it new and never had a leak and still have the original sealer on from Newmar. If you sealer is lifting or looks bad you may need to remove and reseal. Best to keep up with it. When was the last time you check your roof and resealed? Small leak in the right place can get a lot of water in coach.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If it looks in perfect condition you my want to take the 5 hour drive
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just a heads up, even though it may appear from that light, it could be leaking anywhere and just running to that spot to leak out. The point is, don't concentrate only on that one spot. Best to try to find it while it's leaking, maybe re-create it with a water hose while you're doing your search. With the hose you can concentrate on suspects spots.

BillB
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. I have had it for 18 mo and nothing has been done thus far. It sits under cover 95% of the time. I was going to start with re-sealing everything on the roof (3 AC's, 3 Fans, and various antennae and vents. Then, I plan to do a leakage test. Sounds like I should start by removing the old sealer, since no telling how old it is. What is the best sealer and cleaner to use. I have heard the name Dicor and maybe one or two others.

If I'm unsuccessful, I will consider the drive.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Thanks. I have had it for 18 mo and nothing has been done thus far. It sits under cover 95% of the time. I was going to start with re-sealing everything on the roof (3 AC's, 3 Fans, and various antennae and vents. Then, I plan to do a leakage test. Sounds like I should start by removing the old sealer, since no telling how old it is. What is the best sealer and cleaner to use. I have heard the name Dicor and maybe one or two others.

If I'm unsuccessful, I will consider the drive.
Scotty,

Here is a way to find the exact spot. It is how that check boats and how van conversion companies check for leaks on the high tops that they install.

Mix up a gallon or so of the soap that the kids use for blowing bubbles. Dawn dish shop will work. Close all windows and vents on the coach. Then turn on all of the the A/C fans at full speed, even the dash fan. The more fans the more pressure you will have. Even a big box fan on high.

Then go on the roof and start to spray the soapy water around the seals of everything up there. It will show itself.

Good luck
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Scottybdivin,
Consider sealing with the EternaBond brand products. I've found the 10 years and forget it to be real. Go to https://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-R...ducts-s/22.htm to learn more.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sealant can be pretty deceiving. Looks perfectly fine standing over it but get down on your hands and knees and you might find a hair line split that's letting water in. I've been slowly replacing all the sealant on my roof with Eternabond tape. I'm down to just the tank vents and the ladder bolt downs. The tape works very well but is a bit pricey at about $1 a foot but will probably outlast the coach it's stuck too.

The tape near the sat dome was installed fall of 2011 and is still water tight with no signs of degrading. Coach is out in the weather 24/7.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #9

I agree with using the eternabond tape. We experienced a leak in our 5th wheel and once I found the spot, I sealed it with eternabond. I, too, am resealing all areas of my roof top with eternabond too. I found Amazon to be the best price for it. It is available in different widths to accommodate the area being sealed.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I also agree with using the eternabond tape.

)
Richard
Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Scotty,
Here is a way to find the exact spot. It is how that check boats and how van conversion companies check for leaks on the high tops that they install.
Mix up a gallon or so of the soap that the kids use for blowing bubbles. Dawn dish shop will work. Close all windows and vents on the coach. Then turn on all of the the A/C fans at full speed, even the dash fan. The more fans the more pressure you will have. Even a big box fan on high.
Then go on the roof and start to spray the soapy water around the seals of everything up there. It will show itself.
Good luck
VP Chianese;
ONLY the dash A/C or the dash heater, (when not set to recirculate), or a big box fan drawing outside air into the coach will increase the positive pressure in the cabin of the coach... (RV rooftop A/C units do not draw outside air into the cabin).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another vote for Eternabond did mine 5 years ago no leaks.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replacing sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
We just experienced a leak during torrential rains last weekend. <snip>

Any experience, knowledge of products, or tutorials are welcomed. Remove old sealers or apply new sealer on top? Cleaners, preparation, etc.
Hey Scotty,

I've just finished replacing all the dicor on my roof. (with new white dicor) Had bought a 50'x4" roll of Eternabond too but mostly for anchoring Wifi Ranger wire. But, I did remove all existing dicor since the MA is new to us and I didn't know when any of it was applied although it all looked ok.

Good luck! I had a minor leak before we took delivery that came in through the wingard crank up antenna wire... the dicor there had some minor cracks that were hard to see. Was dripping in through a ceiling light as your is. Cheap and easy enough to remove and replace.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Dutch Star owners manual said the check the sealant on the roof twice a year, which I did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal