Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Re-sealing wheel wells on 2000 Dutch Star

What's a good product to reseal the joints inside the rear wheel wells on my 2000 Dutch Star. When I drive in the rain, I'm getting water coming into the compartments in front and behind the wheels. What is there appears to be cracked / separating at the bottom around the steel frame work and plastic liner panels. Newmar used a light gray rubber type sealant. Suggestions?

Thanks
Craig
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a sealant and then undercoat. Check the compartment floor in front of the wheelwells, a number of people have had to replace the floor due to the same leak.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The light gray stuff is probably Sikaflex 221, one of Newmar's favorite sealants. I bought a tube off Amazon for about $12.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DragRacer68,
Did Newmar put wheel well liners in the wheel wells of your coach? I ask because wheel well liners will eliminate most of the water force pounding against the joints. I cleaned, wire brushed and gave the joints several coats of Flex Seal. Took all weekend allowing for drying time. Then had Newmar install wheel liners. All compartments are bone dry.

Consider Flex Seal. They sell it in several different dispensing methods. Go to https://www.flexsealsale.com/FLXSL/5...948&otsid=2499 and take a look. For me between Flex Seal and EternaBond I'm set for just about anything.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

GaryKD, I have a big 'mudflap' behind the wheels that goes up to the top of the wheel well, is that what you mean by a liner? Was considering doing the same in front of the tire to keep 90% of the water off of the joints etc.

SikaFlex221, thanks Luv2go, I've heard of that before maybe I can get some local today.

I have some RV roof sealer paste in a quart can I was contemplating using but it may not like vertical surfaces.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DragRacer68,
I do not think so. The wheel well liners I am talking about begin at one end of the wheel well and curve around the wheel well and end at the other end of the wheel well. The liner is as wide as the wheel well. Google " wheel well liner" to get a picture.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

Thanks Gary I know what you mean now. Looks like that will be an upcoming project. Got some Sikaflex 221 tonite and sealed all the lower joints, nasty stuff, should hopefully fix the leak for now.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer68 View Post
What's a good product to reseal the joints inside the rear wheel wells on my 2000 Dutch Star. When I drive in the rain, I'm getting water coming into the compartments in front and behind the wheels. What is there appears to be cracked / separating at the bottom around the steel frame work and plastic liner panels. Newmar used a light gray rubber type sealant. Suggestions?

Thanks
Craig
Roofing cement tar in the one gallon container. Clean the surface best that you can and apply liberally with a flat wood stick. I use a shimming shingle you buy in small bundles at home centers. They usually are about 2" wide and 1' long. No clean up, just use and throw away. The tar sticks well to vertical surfaces. It's black so it blends in well with the underbody.

I've been using this method since I owned a 1965 VW bug which was prone to rusting out everywhere. My electrical bay behind the left rear wheel used to fill with water every time I ran in the rain. After sealing with the roofing cement I can run in rain all day and still have a bone dry compartment.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
It's seam sealer from a body shop supply.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hey GaryKD, are those liners carried by Newmar parts dept?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi USMCRET,
The Newmar service department ordered them so I assume the parts department can order them. They do not carry them in stock. If you want to DIY the install they can, most likely, drop ship them anywhere.

Tags
dutch star, seal