Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Realistic discount on a Mountain Aire?

We've hit a bit of a snag with the dealer on an agreeable price for a 2018 Mountain Aire 4047. The dealer claims that discounting more than 25.5% would result in them "losing money." They claim that any further discount would price the coach "below our cost." I'm not convinced!

We are fully prepared to open negotiations with other dealers and, likely, will do so unless we get more movement from this dealer. What do others think?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

Get quotes from other dealers. Top ones mentioned many times are NIRVC, Transwest, Coachlight, Steinbring's and Midway.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

Never been to the bargaining table on a MA. If he offered me that discount in a DS I would go elsewhere.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Salesmen and dealers lie for profit, how can a consumer lie for profit?
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
We've hit a bit of a snag with the dealer on an agreeable price for a 2018 Mountain Aire 4047. The dealer claims that discounting more than 25.5% would result in them "losing money." They claim that any further discount would price the coach "below our cost." I'm not convinced!

We are fully prepared to open negotiations with other dealers and, likely, will do so unless we get more movement from this dealer. What do others think?

TJ

A subjective answer, is their “cost” including all of their operating expenses? If so maybe true. As far as discounts talked about here, % off list (Newmar MSRP)is the difference between what the dealer pays Newmar and what they charge you. I can tell you the range off discounts are low 20’s to 29%. The better discounts reported are closer to 29%. Hope this helps. Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
Salesmen and dealers lie for profit, how can a consumer lie for profit?
Thanks, Stuart. That helps me understand the discount range. What makes me suspicious is that after I made them an offer that was 28% off MSRP, they told me it was below their cost and the offer they made at 25.5% discount was their "bottom line." A few minutes after I said no and indicated we were moving on, they came back offering an additional $5K discount.

I'm talking to a couple of other dealers right now. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to make the trip to North Trail RV in Fort Meyers fl... Ask for Matt Padilla he's a straight shooter... I would expect at least 28% off which is a difference $15-20K from what you were quoted...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Walk away from the deal. Start over somewhere else. Every percentage point you save on a $600k DP is money saved.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks, Stuart. That helps me understand the discount range. What makes me suspicious is that after I made them an offer that was 28% off MSRP, they told me it was below their cost and the offer they made at 25.5% discount was their "bottom line." A few minutes after I said no and indicated we were moving on, they came back offering an additional $5K discount.

I'm talking to a couple of other dealers right now. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.

TJ
Jim,

I ordered the week after the 2017 Dealer show for our 2018 MADP 4531 from Jon Stenbring. His upfront pricing blew everyone away everyone that I sent out requests to. I'd suggest you give him a call, when you run the numbers we were at 31% off MSRP which included our $5k in specials we requested. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the phone call. Many members on this forum have dealt with them and I've yet to see bad review, not saying there hasn't been one but its rare I'm sure. Brad
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #10

We are VERY happy with the price from Steinbring Motorhomes. Ask for Lee, he is a no bull kind of guy. I expect you can get at least 29% off! This is a smaller family run kind of place with way less overhead.
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
You may want to make the trip to North Trail RV in Fort Meyers fl... Ask for Matt Padilla he's a straight shooter... I would expect at least 28% off which is a difference $15-20K from what you were quoted...
i also bought my DS from matt....

i can second the good recommendation
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Jim,

I ordered the week after the 2017 Dealer show for our 2018 MADP 4531 from Jon Stenbring. His upfront pricing blew everyone away everyone that I sent out requests to. I'd suggest you give him a call, when you run the numbers we were at 31% off MSRP which included our $5k in specials we requested. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the phone call. Many members on this forum have dealt with them and I've yet to see bad review, not saying there hasn't been one but its rare I'm sure. Brad
Yes! Jon is great and his price was great right upfront with no negotiating. If that is who you are having trouble with, we also got great pricing from Tom Lindstrom. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want another, David Scott @ Independence was great to deal with. He gave their best price right up front, no playing games. From what I’ve seen you should be able to get somewhere between 29-32% off on a new MA.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I E-MAILED 5 dealers including NIRV and told them what my local dealer offered and asked if they wanted to beat it. They all did. I presented their emails to my dealer, one of which was lower and they would not meet and I chose to stay with my local dealer and forfeit the 1K lower deal I could have gotten. The salesman worked very hard and deserved my business, I appreciated his time spent with ignorant non-RVer me.

Take your time. The seller has the ball now with the economy and it's not end of model year yet.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air