Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

Rear Air Bags

last week when i had my 01 MADP up on the hoist for some fabrication installing my motorcycle lift my mechanic friend suggested I should have new air bags installed soon,he said ther were craks in them.
So what I would like to know,is that right? what does a normal used air bag look like? are there small cracks in them

Thankyou
Mr HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would assume over time they would look like that. You do read posts on here of bags leaking so I suspect eventually they do need to be replaced.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have move your thread to the Newmar Owners forum where you'll get more views.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Moving parts don't last forever. An 01 rig likely has an 00 build year for most of its parts, could be older off the shelf parts than that used in assembly. Air bags should not have any significant check marks (cracks) in ordinary service. I'm just guessing, but I think motorhome duty is more severe as the bags can sit deflated & wrinkled for long periods, whereas truck duty sees straight up inflation all the time.

For trucks, a blown air bag in a half a million miles wouldn't be a big setback. A blown airbag for a coach would be a serious setback pretty much any time. I'd say after a dozen service years, replacing air bags is not out of line.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum & irv2, MR HD.
As we all age we all start to need new parts same with the motor homes.
If you have someone reliable that can really look at them for second opinion may give you a better idea if they may need replacement.
I have had friends with newer coach's than yours have them blow so its just like tires some people have blow outs others never do.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

I recently replace the all front and rear air bags on my MH. The rear bags had cracked and leaking badly. My MH is a 1996, so I guess it was time. One thing to consider is the down time on the MH. Replacing the bags and adjusting ride height cost 10 hrs shop labor, getting them from Spartan took 6 weeks. Aparently in the spring of each year there is a run on bags when folks take the MH out of storage and find them leaking. Spartan doesn't manufacture bags, they get them from Firestone. So if Spartan is out you have to wait for them to recieve more from Firestone. If the bags let go on the road, you probably can't drive the MH very far. Getting mine to the shop worried me because the coach set directly on the frame. A lot of vibration and noise. Wouldn't want to be out far from a shop. I don't hear well but wife said they were leaking for some time, we had a little discussion about telling me if she hears strange noises or she might end up walking.
rsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that bit of information rsha and welcome to irv2.
Safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #8

. I don't hear well but wife said they were leaking for some time, we had a little discussion about telling me if she hears strange noises or she might end up walking.[/QUOTE]
Your a brave man.