Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Rear ladder on Newmars

Does anyone know if you can get a rear ladder on the Ventanas or Dutch Stars anymore? I've been told it isn't available due to the rear engine access. It looks like this would be a real disaster in the happening for all of us who get up on top to check caulking and roof condition every year.

I understand the ladder is an option on some Winnebagos and not even available on other models.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #2

I believe it is still available on the Ventana, but is no longer available for Dutch Star due to the redesign of the endcaps with the integrated awnings.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Does anyone know if you can get a rear ladder on the Ventanas or Dutch Stars anymore? I've been told it isn't available due to the rear engine access. It looks like this would be a real disaster in the happening for all of us who get up on top to check caulking and roof condition every year.

I understand the ladder is an option on some Winnebagos and not even available on other models.
I'm currently driving our 4th Newmar, the last being an 07 MA. All previous coaches had ladders. However, our 13 Essex does not and as previously mentioned, likely due to the new design, they aren't available. I believe this is due to the height of these units today. At 13+ feet tall there's little room for a ladder and still stay under 13' 6".

Due to the lack of a ladder I went to Costco and purchased 16' Little Giant that can be configured as a step ladder or an extension ladder. In my opinion this is a much safer option than the flimsy ladders I've had on our previous RVs.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As Dan said, the built-in ladders aren't really very safe. They're vertical, start too far off the ground, with insufficient height above the roof for the railings. Get a Little Giant or Telesteps ladder and carry it in the basement. Much safer.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #5

X3 Little Giant
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

To use the Little Giant can it be used as a step ladder and still reach the 12' roof, and if it's used as an extension ladder would you have to lean it up again the side of the coach? Haven't seen one so have no idea how it works.
If the coach had to be taken to a dealer every time the roof needed checking for the caulking or any weather damage this would be a terrible inconvenience considering it usually doesn't take very long for this job. I know it would be safer going to a dealer but when a person has been used to doing their own maintenance going to a dealer, especially if that required a long drive, would be hard to do.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the rear ladder on my Ventana LE but my new 2015 Dutch Star will not have a ladder. I will be purchasing this unit which will give me access to the roof and it is compact enough to fit easily in the basement storage. This unit has been recommended by many in previous posts.

Telesteps 1800EP Pro 300-Pound Duty Rating Aluminum Telescoping Extension Ladder with Wide Step, 14 1/2 Foot - - Amazon.com

Hope this helps.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #8

I too use the Tele Step. Used a little giant before but unfortunately the weight made it difficult for me (really bad ones) the Telestep is about the same weight but easier for me to manipulate and it seems to use up less space in the bay
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
As Dan said, the built-in ladders aren't really very safe. They're vertical, start too far off the ground, with insufficient height above the roof for the railings. Get a Little Giant or Telesteps ladder and carry it in the basement. Much safer.
Have been RV'ing since 1957 have never felt the ladders were unsafe on any of our rigs, the last two of which have been Newmars.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #10

I have the ladder on my 2014 Ventana. I also carry a Werner ladder I picked up on sale at Home Depot. It is 22' in the standard position / 11' in the step ladder configuration. I agree with the previous statements that the Coach ladder is pretty flimsy, but it is still great to have for a quick check on the roof stuff. Another benefit of carrying the regular ladder is that you can access windshield, awnings, etc. when required.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
To use the Little Giant can it be used as a step ladder and still reach the 12' roof, and if it's used as an extension ladder would you have to lean it up again the side of the coach? Haven't seen one so have no idea how it works.
If the coach had to be taken to a dealer every time the roof needed checking for the caulking or any weather damage this would be a terrible inconvenience considering it usually doesn't take very long for this job. I know it would be safer going to a dealer but when a person has been used to doing their own maintenance going to a dealer, especially if that required a long drive, would be hard to do.
No, on the Step Ladder to access the roof. But the Extension Ladder easily reaches. I use the Foam Pipe Insulation as the "Cushion" to protect the paint from the ladder. I lean it against the Girard Awning Header to access the roof. This is not as convenient as the installed ladder but it works.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #12

After falling off an apartment roof due to a extension ladder sliding I want something secure that will not move. If you use an extension ladder either tie it off at the top or have someone at the bottom holding it. I will be ordering the rear ladder as I get on my roof at the end of each trip to clean it off before bringing in my slides.

I understand that some models cannot have the built on ladder. Just be safe using any other type. At a recent Tiffin rally there was two incidents of people falling off their ladders. On broke his back in several places (he will never be the same again) and the other one broke his arm.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar