Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Recall repair causes comfort drive to quit.

I am sitting at the dealership, Chandler Freightliner still. They installed the update to fix the Headlight issues for recall #18V245. After the update the tech parked out motorhome back in the same spot the it was when we arrived. I started up this morning and we were headed out. Only one problem. NO Comfort drive. It acts just like it was turned off during the process. Now they are booked up and can't look at if for 3 hours. Called FL 24 hour number. Nerver heard of this being caused by the update. Now we need someone to come out and hook up a laptop to the connection port and see what the deal is. Argggg. Anyone else heard of this? Randy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit1957 View Post
I am sitting at the dealership, Chandler Freightliner still. They installed the update to fix the Headlight issues for recall #18V245. After the update the tech parked out motorhome back in the same spot the it was when we arrived. I started up this morning and we were headed out. Only one problem. NO Comfort drive. It acts just like it was turned off during the process. Now they are booked up and can't look at if for 3 hours. Called FL 24 hour number. Nerver heard of this being caused by the update. Now we need someone to come out and hook up a laptop to the connection port and see what the deal is. Argggg. Anyone else heard of this? Randy
Never had the issue but there was something awhile back about power being turned off and comfort drive had to reengage. There was a wait time or something about turning the wheel or something. Sorry for being vague, maybe somebody else can fill in the blanks.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

Randy read through the Comfort Drive sticky towards the top of the main list. It will tell you how to reset the CD after power has been removed from the coach.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Here's a link to the "wake-up procedure" for CD,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads...4d0bbff45365ca

It was written by CD designer/engineer Ken Sherwin.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Here's a link to the "wake-up procedure" for CD,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads...4d0bbff45365ca

It was written by CD designer/engineer Ken Sherwin.

TJ

FYI, This link does not work for me
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
FYI, This link does not work for me
Hmmm...that's odd, it just worked for me using both the link I originally posted and the one included in your post. It downloads a pdf document in both cases.

I wonder if you may have an issue with the download function. I'm using an Apple iPad if that makes any difference.

TJ
Old 05-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got an error when I clicked on TJ’s link. Here’s another option.

After the new page opens, click on the download button.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=150

Edit: I’m using an iPad Pro
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit1957 View Post
Wake-Up Procedures
Normal Wake-up Procedure that must be performed every time the battery is disconnected and reconnected.
Step 1: Turn the ignition key on. You should hear a "click" in the ColumnDrive. If you do not hear the "click", turn the key off, listening for another "click". If the ColumnDrive does not "click" at key on or key off, electrical troubleshooting is required.
NOTE: Mechanical misassembly will not make the Column fail to “click”.
Step 2: Start the engine. If the steering wheel is more than 90 degrees from straight ahead, position the steering wheel to straight ahead, then shut the engine off and restart it.
Step 3: Slowly move the steering wheel about 45 degrees either side of straight ahead several times. During one of the passes across straight-ahead, the torque to turn the wheel will suddenly get much lighter and the steering wheel will try to return to straight-ahead. The system is now awake and ready to drive.
If this procedure does not make the ColumnDrive operate normally, continue to the Extended Wake-Up Procedure.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #9

Randy I just copied this from that sticky. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
I got an error when I clicked on TJ’s link. Here’s another option.

After the new page opens, click on the download button.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=150

Edit: I’m using an iPad Pro
Yes, that works for me. I went there initially to get the pdf. Maybe I should have linked to that download page instead. Possibly because the PDF is now on my iPad Pro, the link works for me but not others. Thanks for picking this up.

TJ
Old 05-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
They fixed it. After messing with it for 1 hour they finally call F/L like the were told to. They walked them through connecting to CD. It was off and using the wake up procedure posted above did not work. What finally did work was using the laptop and setup software and reset center. Everything turned on and now more issues. So if you have the headlight recall fixed and CD dies you will know what to tell them to do. Randy
Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This was a good informational post. I keep a three ring binder in my coach with things that may need to be done on the road, like adjusting MCD shades, forced regen, and now the CD wake up procedure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #13

Lord, it just never ends does it. I love RVing but sometimes the stress gets to me. I had enough of that when I owned a business for 32 years. But, what am I going to do, sit at home and watch Hogan's Hero's for the the rest of my life?

Tags
air, recall, repair