Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Bctravelers,
I believe they are replacing/recovering both recliners, driver and passenger seat as well as the couch even though we only have an issue with one recliner and the drivers seat. The material is slightly different so this ensures that they all match.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #16

We are in the Upholstery business and this is known as bonded leather or faux leather. Google bonded leather peeling and look at the photos it peels like your skin after a bad sunburn. Total garbage. We had many customers spend thousands buying new furniture and stores refusing to take responsibility. Very sad since most thought it was real leather.
Optowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bctravelers View Post
And what to I research. I researched recliner and only got my post.
Search "ultra leather delaminating".

At least this ongoing problem with sub standard material is happing on a newer coach and most likely the manufacturer will make good on it.

We got a new to us 2009 not long ago and had to recover sofa as it was comming of in large chunks. We chose to do both pilot and navagator chairs and be done with it. Very costly.

DW got to pick out a different color and i went with a much better quality ultraleather.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What a bummer! We had this happen in our old 2007 Hurricane and was hoping not to have to think of this happening again. We only have our Ventana 2 months, so we will keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully this is not common.
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2011 MADP and am the second owner, both of the front seats are doing the flaking and pealing thing it`s like they have a bad sun burn. So I finally decided to call Newmar and just see what they would say. The customer service rep told me that the issue was only on the 2014 & 2015 models and that they did not know of issues on earlier coaches. He told me to send a pic to customer service of the seat tag and the seats. Now he did not even ask my name or vin or coach number. So I sent him the info he requested. Today I got a reply (a week Latter).

Good Morning,
Newmar is willing to offer 50% off retail for new covers for your seats. I have copied Derek in our parts department, he can assist you with ordering those covers. If you have any questions please give use a call 1-800-731-8300

Thank you
Ashlie Freed
Customer Service Coordinator

Not to bad seeing that it is over 6 years old. I just got off of the phone with parts and the complete seat cover runs about $1000.00 each so looks like about a grand to replace both.

Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #20

2013 has issues too! How much $$$ to recover?

I appreciate this thread as we just started out on our summer trip and all of a sudden, the recliner, driver and passenger seats started pealing, flaking, and cracking.
So, seems like it is a problem not associated with any particular year, but rather with the material itself.
I sent pics and got a response back from Newmar as well--willing to replace the covers on our original-owner 2013 Ventana 3434.
Problem is...who does the upholstery work and how much is this recover project going to cost me now.

Please share your comments/experience on how this recover process might play out...

Really sours our plans to upgrade to a 2018 DSDP 4018 which we have filled out an order form to start pricing.
Why is not real leather offered as an option???
I for one would certainly pay for real leather!
MnM49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Newmar replaced/repaired our furniture in April. We had a small area of peeling on the passenger seat arm rest in November (coach was approaching 2 years) and then a bit of wear on the driver's seat armrest as we got closer to our appointment date in Nappanee.

They replaced both our sofas and recovered the driver and passenger seats and our dining chairs. Couldn't be happier with the results, we think the furniture is better than the original.
We are scheduled in August for this exact same fix.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #22

With this peeling happening on several year's coaches is the replacement coverings any better than the original? If it happens within the first couple of years on the original will it happen again in a couple years after the replacements after Newmar won't help anymore?

The recliner in our 2015 DS is my favorite resting spot and it is certainly getting lots of use, so hate to think what may happen. My 2004 Winnebago was 11 years old when I traded it for the DS and the ultra leather furniture showed no wear at all.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
I have a 2011 MADP and am the second owner, both of the front seats are doing the flaking and pealing thing it`s like they have a bad sun burn. So I finally decided to call Newmar and just see what they would say. The customer service rep told me that the issue was only on the 2014 & 2015 models and that they did not know of issues on earlier coaches. He told me to send a pic to customer service of the seat tag and the seats. Now he did not even ask my name or vin or coach number. So I sent him the info he requested. Today I got a reply (a week Latter).

Good Morning,
Newmar is willing to offer 50% off retail for new covers for your seats. I have copied Derek in our parts department, he can assist you with ordering those covers. If you have any questions please give use a call 1-800-731-8300

Thank you
Ashlie Freed
Customer Service Coordinator

Not to bad seeing that it is over 6 years old. I just got off of the phone with parts and the complete seat cover runs about $1000.00 each so looks like about a grand to replace both.

Good Luck
JP

Mr JP , does that thousand dollars include the labor to cover your seats , or are they just sending you the covers ?
dav-cle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
That's just a complete cover set for both driver and passenger seats. When we get home in the fall I will look into installing them myself. I don't think it will be to hard of a job. Just might need to get some hog rings and pliers.

JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wink Order fabric from Newmar

We had same problem with our passenger captain chair and now one of the booth seats so we ordered the color matched fabric from Newmar and took to a automobile upholster to have the chair recovered. Much, less expensive than buying a new cover by many hundreds of dollars. Now we have enough fabrics to have the bench done once we return from our trip. Our coach is 2011 MA and just this year the ultra leather has started to crack and peel. Too bad Newmar doesn't offer real leather as an option, it would be worth it in the long run and resale values would definitely benefit from real leather.
Lenmar is online now   Reply With Quote