Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeKeith View Post
Captain Gizmo,

Are you sure that you have Flexsteel recliners? I have Lambright recliners in my 2016 Dutch Star and I was not aware that Newmar switched to Flexsteel.

ABSOLUTLEY...Of Course, I know they’re FlexSteel, had the hang-tags as well to prove it. And, as I stated in my first post, I actually called FlexSteel and that’s how I got the right parts!

It’s very possible that the “rings” are out-sources, and therefore used on more than just FlexSteel recliners.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Removed mine just now and the recliners feel much more secure. Instead of moving back every time I parked myself in the chair, it stayed put. I will watch for damage to the rubber strip, but don't anticipate a problem as I have positioned the rubber buttons to straddle the strip.

If I were ever to use the three larger, hard-plastic pads, I would add some kind of non-skid material to the bottom of them.

TJ
Ditto, I have done the same thing and agree with Jim. Going to keep the three slides just in case there is a problem in the future.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #17

I’ve sent an email with my documentation on this issue to Newmar. I’ll also follow-up with Flexsteel to see if this was an oversight or there’s something we’re missing.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Recliner Pads - Interesting Discovery??

Before everyone removes the 3 feet:
The history of the 3 feet as I know it is that the early recliners were tearing up the rubber floor strip, many people added tubbing to the the ring to help this issue. I believe it was 2017 the fix was adding the 3 larger feet to keep the ring from contacting the rubber (this is why you see the gaps in the pictures). This update pretty much eliminated the issue of torn rubber. I have inspected mine and yes at least one screw head appears to be polished but smooth the only time I move the chairs, I lift the front and slide the back. Again the 3 feet are not “for shipping” and were the fix for the torn rubber floor seam.
For me if I were to do anything, I would add an adhesive backed felt to the 3 feet, maybe the soft side of Velcro. Do what you want, just want to make this clear before everyone removes these 3 feet.
Sorry that I haven’t posted this sooner, I have been a little out of pocket and just read this thread. StuartW
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Before everyone removes the 3 feet:
The history of the 3 feet as I know it is that the early recliners were tearing up the rubber floor strip, many people added tubbing to the the ring to help this issue. I believe it was 2017 the fix was adding the 3 larger feet to keep the ring from contacting the rubber (this is why you see the gaps in the pictures). This update pretty much eliminated the issue of torn rubber. I have inspected mine and yes at least one screw head appears to be polished but smooth the only time I move the chairs, I lift the front and slide the back. Again the 3 feet are not “for shipping” and were the fix for the torn rubber floor seam.
For me if I were to do anything, I would add an adhesive backed felt to the 3 feet, maybe the soft side of Velcro. Do what you want, just want to make this clear before everyone removes these 3 feet.
Sorry that I haven’t posted this sooner, I have been a little out of pocket and just read this thread. StuartW
I'm a little puzzled about this, Stuart. Why wouldn't the three hard plastic pads also tear up the rubber floor strip? I can find no documentation telling me I need to position the hard pads straddling the floor strip. So, until this issue was raised here, it is likely that I've had times where the hard plastic pad was bearing directly on he floor strip.

If this is such an issue, wouldn't you think someone would have provided information on the need to carefully position the recliners with the hard pads straddling the floor strip? So far, no sign of damage to our floor strip. And, there is enough space between the 8 small buttons to still straddle the floor strip, if that is necessary.

As I said, I'm puzzled by this explanation. Please don't take this as questioning your credibility; it is top-of-the-line with me. I'm just wondering about the original source.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This was a Newmar production change. I take no offense. Think of it this way the rubber is the high spot, the taller feet proved more clearance, I do not make sure where the feet end up when moving the chairs.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #21

Stuart,

Thanks for weighing in.

Your explanation crossed my mind many times before removing those 3 pads. It was the ONLY explanation I could think of as to why Newmar would have them installed. Geometry tells us that the span between 3 points of a circle are much greater than 8; hence easier to keep any pad off the trim. But WHAT IS IT that causes the damage? Is it the pressure of a pad ON the trim, or is it people DRAGGING over the trim? Not being sure HOW, makes the solution harder. But one thing FOR SURE, I’m not willing to risk scratches on my tile floor with ANY of the potential “fixes”. Good grief...I can just hear that conversation with Newmar now, as we try to get a warranty claim on THEIR fix!

And again, like TJ said, why not make that clear to the owners?

I tried the heavyvduty adhesive felt and it failed (slipped off) after the first trip; leaving behind a gooey mess.

I tried DSD’s fix with vinyl tubing, and it spun around the first time the recliners were moved.

So, this whole “trim protection” fix is just one hot mess and I just wish it would go away.

I think careful moving and placement is the best medicine so far. And being on 8 points, puts a lot less pressure on the trim than 3, if a pad sits on the trim.

Thanks again for giving us the possible reason.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is another option for these chairs, remove the ring and swivel and install feet at the four corners. There is a frame on the chair for this, that is threaded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_145707.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	243525

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_145701.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	243526
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #23

The saga continues...

While my chairs are stable and slide easier, the trim strip is getting scratched from all the sharp edges and holes that are in the steel ring. Oy! [emoji2357]

Not sure what the next step will be. Maybe doing the 4 feet and removing the swivel is a better option?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #24

We purchased two rubber backed small rugs that we place under the ring base and over the rubber strip. We matched the color of the rug to the tile so you hardly notice them. They do a good job of protecting the rubber strip.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Stuart W.

After reading this thread I removed the three plastic feet. One day later I could see the rubber trim was getting messed up so the three plastic feet are now reinstalled.

Be cautious if you remove those feet they are there for a reason.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also agree with Stuart since we had the same problem. Our chairs only came with the round pads. After tearing up our floor seal within the first year, Newmar added the flat pads on our recliners. It is much better than it was before adding the pads. The flat pads have a smoothed edge and are larger.

I didn't realize they left the round ones on for any particular reason until reading this.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #27

What would be perfect is a set of rollers that deploy when you step in a foot pedal, the retract to let the chair sit down on 4 feet with plenty of driving clearance.

I used a system like this on a typewriter Carr, shop bench, table saw, and other things.

Hmmm, come on, DS Don...we (you) can do this. ;-)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My system works well for me, but may cause the chair to rock, depending on where you place the chair while in use.

For those not familiar, I bought clear tubing, laid it on the floor in it's normal curl and slit the top the length of the tubing (about 6'). I removed ALL the feet and blocks from the chair base and slide the clear tubing over the ring. It was noted that it can rock, but if the majority of the ring is either on one side or the other of the trim, it doesn't rock. So far, it's kept from damaging the trim. It does get dirty, but I found a Mr Clean magic eraser works great to quickly clean it. I roll the chair in and out of position like you would a large barrel on it's edge.

For those who don't care about it swiveling, removing the swivel and ring and replacing with four feet at the corners may be the way to go.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery, recliner