Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Recliners migrate while driving

Merry Christmas RVs!

We are enjoying our ‘19 MA! The upgrades from our 13 Essex are great, such as the HWH FWS, the Collision Mitigation System and the two Reciners instead of the sofa.

However, the Recliners seem to easily move while driving. They rest on the tile floor (Essex had carpent on the FWS) so there’s little friction to keep them in place. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Go to Home Depot and get those foam pipe insulators and use tape to securely wrap ten around the feet of the recliners. No more moving around while driving.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

We use Con-Tact® Grip 18-Inch x 10-Foot Non-Adhesive Ultra Shelf and Drawer Liners. We found them ar Bed Bath & Beyond, but Walmart may have it. The cheaper versions of this do not work. I turn our recliners around, lean them up and the DW puts a square of this under each chair.
Thanks,
Stu
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #4

We turn ours sideways back to back. The a long bungee strap to hold them together inhibits any movement. Yes, we have the fixed table between them, hence the long cord. All JMHO
Old 12-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dan.....We have the single recliner that I spin so the back rest is up against the wall when we drive and it doesn't move. My concern was more about it ruining the vinyl strip between the FWS and main floor. My recliner has the circular base that swivels. I turned it over and saw that they screw on three plastic covers around the circular base....I guess for stability. There are also about six plastic 1/2" feet inserted into the circular base. These are what concerned me. If you're not careful, those feet will leave dents in that vinyl divider.

So here's what I did. My first try, I removed those three plastic covers (phillips screw) and bought some 5/8" ID rubber heater hose (it takes 6'). I laid the hose down so that it was in it's natural loop (caused by being coiled). I took a razor knife and slit the entire piece along the top. By following it's natural coil, it will slip on better. I than put the rubber hose over the circular base. There are four support arms on the circular base that you have to notch a little piece of the rubber out.

The rubber worked great, but it was marring the vinyl strip with black marks.

So...…..I removed the rubber and went to Home Depot and bought 5/8" ID clear plastic hose. It's just soft enough to give it some bite. I did the same thing and cut the clear. I originally thought the six plastic feet were welded on tabs, until I looked closer and realized they were just plastic inserts. This time I removed all of them before installing the plastic tubing.

The tubing will definitely keep the chair from walking, but also makes it hard to move the chair around as it doesn't slide. After moving it a couple of times, I found that if you tilt it a little, you can roll it around on the ring, just like you would take a 50 gallon barrel and tilt it on it's edge and roll it.

If you don't need the chair to move or spin, the swivel ring is removable and there is framework at the four corners of the base. You can simply buy a threaded rubber foot and install at the four corners.

Lastly, "Stuart W" warned me early on that the feet on the bottom of the dinette chairs are hard plastic and will mar that vinyl strip on the FWS. I've never found chair feet that I really like until recently. While checking the selection at Home Depot, I found some 3/4" soft rubber feet. They're built like a grommet with a metal insert, so you can screw them on without distorting the rubber. They work great and dinette chairs don't move at all and don't mar the floor.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We have a pair of recliners in our 2018 MADP 4047 and they don't move unless we move them. Certainly, some of the high-end shelf liner mentioned previously would solve your problem, however.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is why I love this forum... Thanks for the awesome suggestions. It will be fun to see what works best.

BTW, keep new ideas coming!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought 2 - 2x3 rugs and put under the recliners. Chairs cover them, they don't move and can slide them out without scaring up the rubber piece that covers the crack from the slide

Tags
recliner