Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #1

Refrigerator not staying cold

Does anyone have any ideas why our Norcold refrigerator will not stay cold. This just happened. We have a 2005 Dutch Star. Have turned it on and off - back on- just getting worse and we are on the road? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
First thing would be to try both energy sources to see if both fail.
Do you smell ammonia near the fridge?
Hopefully it's simply a burnt out electric element and that it works on propane.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. We are pretty new to RVing. Therefore, we are not that familiar with all of these systems. I realize now, we had been staying in one place for two weeks, often using heat pumps to stay warm. Then we left and had to use AC to stay cool. then we parked the coach for 36 hours when it was just on LP and not cooled at all inside. Once back on the road, I noticed the higher temp in the Fridge. Then we opened the doors a lot to see what was wrong. Now plugged in to AC again. I hope that will fix it!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 AM   #4

My Norcold was doing the same thing last year. I had to replace the door as it was slightly sagging downward, thus the seals were not doing their job.

I made the mistake of loading too much heavy stuff on the door and that is probably what caused the sagging. How's your freezer doing?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #5

Thanks for replying. I will be careful of what we put on the door. The freezer seems to have everything frozen solid.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

Also, the temperature eventually came down to 36 degrees while plugged in. It went up to 42 while making dinner and opening. This morning it is 38 degrees. Plugged in all night. Am I correct in thinking this is about how it will operate?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
Also, the temperature eventually came down to 36 degrees while plugged in. It went up to 42 while making dinner and opening. This morning it is 38 degrees. Plugged in all night. Am I correct in thinking this is about how it will operate?

I just got this to monitor my fridge.... very helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484747617.498286.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	149434
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

I probably have the refrig in my '05 mountain aire. My reffrig works better on the a/c circuit. I would go outside and remove the access panel to the refrig and look at the feon line to make sure they are not leaking, make sure you don't have an ammonia smell coming from this area. Turn on the lp and make sure the flame (lower right corner on back of refrig) is nice and blue. There are 2 fans attached to the coil on the back, you need to make sure they are working. The temp inside my refrig rises when I'm traveling. After researching this I pulled the refrig out from the hole and used a good a/c duck tape to reseal the seams where the cooling unit was attached to the refrig.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

This link helped me

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...ing-53916.html
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

refrigerator temps

I have a 2004 Scottsdale by Newmar I have owned for 12 years and have been plagued with the same issue. On LP I can get the temp down to 38-42 range and the same on 110, however when traveling with the LP on, the temp can and does raise to 60+ in the summer and 50+ in the winter. We live in Arizona so a lot of traveling is in the southwest. I have installed two 12v fans outside to push the air up through the outside vent and recently installed a 12 volt Fridge-Fix (2 fans) up close to the fins inside and a thermometer that I can read outside. I also put ice packs in the refrigerator. All these mods help but I still have to keep an eye on the temps.
I have had the refrigerator checked by RV techs over the years and everything checks out ok in a stationary environment.
Anyone that can shed light on this problem, I am all ears.
Bruce H
Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Norcold 1200LRIM would warm up while driving. It worked fine as long as I was sitting still. I finally pulled the frig out of the hole and found the aluminum tape had come loose from many of the insulation seams. Also, the fans on the back of the unit were not working. So I re-taped all of the seams and replaced the fans and fan thermostat. Now my frig gets good and cold and stays cold while driving. I understand these are common problems with older units.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You may not be to this point yet but…
My Norcold took 2 days to cool down when first turned on and it rarely kept ice cream cold enough. I also had a cooling problem anytime we restocked it or someone left the door open for more than a few seconds. My wife used to freeze water bottles in the house fridge and load them into the Norcold to help out. The first Norcold failed and we replaced it with an identical unit. That was very expensive! When the second Norcold hiccupped, I went with an Energy Star II residential refrigerator. That was the biggest improvement we ever made to our coach! It cools down in 2 hours and keeps ice cream perfect. It only uses .8 amps when the compressor is running and will run for several days on battery and inverter.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
Does anyone have any ideas why our Norcold refrigerator will not stay cold. This just happened. We have a 2005 Dutch Star. Have turned it on and off - back on- just getting worse and we are on the road? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
so Iam assuming the power stays on and the controls light up? correct
BUT It does not cool on LPG or 120V ? correct?

Is the freezer getting cold and just not the fridge cooling?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #14

Yes, the power is on. I have it set to "Auto" to go between LP and AC. This seems to work fine. But as i have mentioned, we are new to this. I have read we should be careful how much stuff we put in there. It is pretty full. Also, to not keep things in bulky packages that inhibit air flow. We will rectify this as we restock but thought it better not to open the unit just to rearrange things. It is staying reasonable cool at this point but I have to check the fans outside. I was not aware of their existence. Now I will check them. We are now in Louisiana and it was 78 degrees all night. Not exactly ideal cooling weather!

Tags
refrigerator