Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #113

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Thanks for the info. Just offering up the idea for someone with a handsome income to cough up a sales tax on the purchase in exchange for residing in a stage with no income tax.

Sometimes we bend over to pick up a dime and our wallet falls out.
WA has no income tax (yet) but the sales/use tax is over 9% of the purchase price or the difference if doing a dealer trade. The state does not have to accept you written contract if they suspect fraud and then will employ their private valuation service. I've also heard that since an RV is considered a luxury they also tax them even if owned out of state for years. Don't know about the last as I was born here 71 yrs ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Hit_the_Rhod,
After 6 months and 1 day you are bringing a USED vehicle into Florida. Florida does not care where/if it was registered in the past. There is no fraud when the law allows it. Before any person brings a USED vehicle into Florida they should contact Florida DMV or go to the web site to ensure they are comfortable. Florida needs a person to prove they are the owner and have insurance. Simple as that.

One does not need to be a resident of a state to get tags for a vehicle. Tennessee is an example, there may be others. Just need to own some property. One can also fall back to their LLC. Yea, I have one of these also. Please remember, every state is different. One needs to check the state(s) one is interested in.
Gary, okay, that makes sense. I didn't realize that Florida wouldn't require the state to be previously registered in order to consider it a used vehicle. So did you just go in with an MSO?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - In this entire discussion no one seems to be considering the fact that you will need a title issued by a state. First thing that Florida is going to ask for is to see the current title on that "used" coach so it can be transferred to Florida.

Tom
Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - In this entire discussion no one seems to be considering the fact that you will need a title issued by a state. First thing that Florida is going to ask for is to see the current title on that "used" coach so it can be transferred to Florida.
Yeah, I don't think you can do it without a title (or an MSO, which by definition wouldn't qualify for the 6-month-used waiver of sales tax).

I'm about to walk in there with my (MT LLC) title in a couple of weeks, as it happens. Maybe after I'm done I'll ask them what they think about that strategy.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #117
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Yeah, I don't think you can do it without a title (or an MSO, which by definition wouldn't qualify for the 6-month-used waiver of sales tax).

I'm about to walk in there with my (MT LLC) title in a couple of weeks, as it happens. Maybe after I'm done I'll ask them what they think about that strategy.
Nebster, could you let us know the results of how the MT LLC title transferred over to you in Florida? Thanks in advance.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Hit_the_Rhod,

What is an MSO?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
The way now being discussed seems to be a good way to bring a coach back into Florida.
1. Form an LLC
2. Register in the state where the LLC was formed
3. Wait six months and 1 day
4. Now bring the coach into Florida and transfer the registration from State X to Florida as a USED vehicle.

It will cost a few bucks, but far less than the tax burden of Florida.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Nebster, could you let us know the results of how the MT LLC title transferred over to you in Florida? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I was incorrect in what I wrote. What actually is happening is that my MT LLC is being dissolved and the asset is being transferred to me personally, so it will be retitled in FL. This is the way my lawyer said I had to do it. If my LLC were to just sell the RV to me, it would constitute a sale and the standard FL sales tax would apply.

I don't actually have the paperwork in hand yet, so I am describing something that my lawyer described to me in a two-minute phone call. But I will come back and provide a more detailed update on how it went down, sure.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #121

Quote:
The way now being discussed seems to be a good way to bring a coach back into Florida.
1. Form an LLC
2. Register in the state where the LLC was formed
3. Wait six months and 1 day
4. Now bring the coach into Florida and transfer the registration from State X to Florida as a USED vehicle.

It will cost a few bucks, but far less than the tax burden of Florida.
Gary, the issue with forming the the LLC in another state is that you will then be forced to pay the sales tax of that state. The most cost effective way may be to form the Montana LLC, pay the Montana fees, wait the six months and then transfer the asset to Florida. Trading the sales tax of Florida for the sales tax of another state could still be pretty pricey.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Sorry, I was incorrect in what I wrote. What actually is happening is that my MT LLC is being dissolved and the asset is being transferred to me personally, so it will be retitled in FL. This is the way my lawyer said I had to do it. If my LLC were to just sell the RV to me, it would constitute a sale and the standard FL sales tax would apply.

I don't actually have the paperwork in hand yet, so I am describing something that my lawyer described to me in a two-minute phone call. But I will come back and provide a more detailed update on how it went down, sure.
Please keep the thread updated with your progress.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #123

Quote:
I think you have it right. Except, to clarify, the Florida sales tax treatment doesn't distinguish between used and new vehicles. It's not whether the vehicle is used or new, it's whether the last sale was more or less than six months ago.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Hi nebster,
You are correct.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #125

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wnytaxman,
I agree. It has been son long it is difficult to remember the details.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #126

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Hit_the_Rhod,

What is an MSO?
Manufactures statement of origin . All new vehicles have this which is how they get titled the first time. Normally you never see it as it goes with the paperwork from a selling manufactures dealer to the dmv. A title is then created with the serial number

Tags
montana