Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Registering Your Coach In Montana Just Got More Expensive

Hi All,
Registering your coach in Montana? Please read this.

Drivers registering their cars and renewing their licenses in Montana should expect to see an increase in price in 2018.

During the legislative session earlier this year, lawmakers decided to tack on a new 3 percent administrative fee for vehicle registrations and renewal fees to compensate for a shift in revenues away from the state’s Motor Vehicle Division.

Lawmakers also created an $825 fee for luxury vehicles with a value of $150,000 or more, and an $800 fee for a motorhome that’s valued at $300,000 or more. Those fees will now be collected on motorhomes and luxury vehicles until they reach 10 years old. Owners of motorhomes that will be eight years old in 2017, for example, will have to pay the fee for the next two years.

Prior to the legislation, MVD contributed about $25 million to a special revenue account that, among other things, helped pay for road construction and maintenance projects. The division was one of the beneficiaries from the fund and received close to $10 million every two years, which made up roughly half of their budget. The department estimates the three new fees will bring in about $11 million over the two-year budget cycle for MVD. That’s about $1 million more than what the division was receiving from the special revenue account. MVD will still contribute to the state’s special revenue account to pay for the road improvement projects and help the state with predicted shortfalls, but will not be receiving its usual payout from the fund. The idea behind the new fees was to fill in the gap from the state’s special revenue funding, allowing the division to eventually become self-funding. The division’s total budget is about $20 million, which half of that comes from – and will continue to come from – the state’s general fund.

Montana Department of Justice Spokesman Eric Sell said MVD estimated the administrative fee could be close to $7 for a car that’s fewer than four years old. For new driver’s license and renewals, the fee would be a little more than $1. The administrative fee will not be collected on any county-related fees. Drivers hoping to register expired plates from 2017 will be assessed the fee in the new year as well.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #2

If I was doing the LLC gig it would probably have me doing something else. This should be interesting to watch for the next year or so.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

I thought about it but Illinois is going after this with a vengeance. They consider it tax evasion and I'd hate to see my poor wife go yo jail. 🤣

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #4

As is the choices arenít already complicated :(
SteveCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Ouch! Well, that may well change our plan to shift our domicile to Montana. The $800 annual fee is about four times that of our current annual license in Washington.

Politicians are always looking for new sources of money to spend. They call it "deficit reduction," but we all know that is it really just "revenue production."

TJ
Old 01-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
There are valid reasons (legal and moral) to have an LLC. I own an LLC. And like our President said take advantage of every tax write off while obeying the rules. One should not pay a penny more than the law requires.

This is not a thread about LLCs. It is for information about the changes to registering a motor coach in Montana. Can we please try and keep it on topic?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
There are valid reasons (legal and moral) to have an LLC. I own an LLC. And like our President said take advantage of every tax write off while obeying the rules. One should not pay a penny more than the law requires.

This is not a thread about LLCs. It is for information about the changes to registering a motor coach in Montana. Can we please try and keep it on topic?
What did you find off topic in the responses to your post? There was only one peripheral mention of LLCs.

TJ
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
Those new fees may be higher than before, but may be a whole lot less than property and sales tax in other states.
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
Those new fees may be higher than before, but may be a whole lot less than property and sales tax in other states.
True, but they just raised the bar. As I recall the LLC was not free to begin with. The attorneys who set them up are not free. Now the added fees will make other options cheaper. Part of watching this will be to see who comes in as a replacement for Montana.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

Are those valuation limits current value, MSRP, or actual purchase price?

Nothing to worry us when we register in Montana, one way or another, due to the age of our coach, but I was just curious.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oregon raised registration fees, but not by too much.

But what they DID do, starting January 1, 2018, was to implement a 1/2 of 1 percent "Vehicle Privilege Tax" on the retail price on any new taxable vehicles, including motorhomes, travel trailers, and 5ers.

So for a $300,000 motorhome, that will be $1,500 TAX. I believe it is on the "Sale Price", including options, etc.

Oregon has started implementing a sales tax on motorhomes.

Oregon Department of Revenue : Businesses : Vehicle privilege and use taxes
Old 01-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Oregon View Post
Oregon raised registration fees, but not by too much.

But what they DID do, starting January 1, 2018, was to implement a 1/2 of 1 percent "Vehicle Privilege Tax" on the retail price on any new taxable vehicles, including motorhomes, travel trailers, and 5ers.

So for a $300,000 motorhome, that will be $1,500 TAX. I believe it is on the "Sale Price", including options, etc.

Oregon has started implementing a sales tax on motorhomes.

Oregon Department of Revenue : Businesses : Vehicle privilege and use taxes
After having read the text of the new Oregon "vehicle privilege tax," I am a bit confused. It would appear that the new tax only applies to new, smaller motorhomes. See the quote from the text below.

"What's subject to the vehicle privilege or use tax?

Taxable sales are those of vehicles with 7,500 miles or fewer, that weigh 26,000 lbs. or less, and haven't been titled in Oregon. This includes: ...Motor homes (ORS 801.350)..."

Anyone have more information on this? Since my current motorhome weighs 29,000 pounds and the one I am considering comes in at 44,000 pounds, does this mean neither would be included in this law if purchased with less than 7,500 miles on them?

TJ
Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
After having read the text of the new Oregon "vehicle privilege tax," I am a bit confused. It would appear that the new tax only applies to new, smaller motorhomes. See the quote from the text below.

"What's subject to the vehicle privilege or use tax?

Taxable sales are those of vehicles with 7,500 miles or fewer, that weigh 26,000 lbs. or less, and haven't been titled in Oregon. This includes: ...Motor homes (ORS 801.350)..."

Anyone have more information on this? Since my current motorhome weighs 29,000 pounds and the one I am considering comes in at 44,000 pounds, does this mean neither would be included in this law if purchased with less than 7,500 miles on them?

TJ

I agree, and am waiting for confirmation. My dealer told me over the weekend my new Ventana will be assessed with the new tax. Hopefully they are incorrect.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #14

[QUOTE=judgebobk;3970988]I thought about it but Illinois is going after this with a vengeance. They consider it tax evasion and I'd hate to see my poor wife go yo jail.

TOO FUNNY

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana