Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Regret buying a new coach?

What was your favorite coach? Do you regret letting a prior coach go for something new?

We all have dreams and love new coaches, right? I know I love my Ventana 4037 and think it's ideal for me in many ways. I have my dream of a 2027 Essex or LADP but will I regret letting my ideal ship go?

Is simple better? My VTDP doesn't have cosmic systems like silverleaf and motorized everything. Ironically I'm a techie but when it comes to RV's I'm not sure I have confidence in the technology used, heck, even the A/V system challenged the builder in 2017.

Bigger engine? We want that 605 HP right? Well that just means higher service costs, half the mileage (I think) compared to my zero complaints 400 HP at approx 6.8 mpg.

I've talked with some on their 3rd or better coach and they all seem to refer back to something better in the past. While we're waiting for the summer race to begin, what are your experiences as multi-coach owners in what was best, any regrets, lessons learned, why did you buy, did you need to buy, etc.?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
What was your favorite coach? Do you regret letting a prior coach go for something new?

We all have dreams and love new coaches, right? I know I love my Ventana 4037 and think it's ideal for me in many ways. I have my dream of a 2027 Essex or LADP but will I regret letting my ideal ship go?

Is simple better? My VTDP doesn't have cosmic systems like silverleaf and motorized everything. Ironically I'm a techie but when it comes to RV's I'm not sure I have confidence in the technology used, heck, even the A/V system challenged the builder in 2017.

Bigger engine? We want that 605 HP right? Well that just means higher service costs, half the mileage (I think) compared to my zero complaints 400 HP at approx 6.8 mpg.

I've talked with some on their 3rd or better coach and they all seem to refer back to something better in the past. While we're waiting for the summer race to begin, what are your experiences as multi-coach owners in what was best, any regrets, lessons learned, why did you buy, did you need to buy, etc.?
we have had 7 motorhomes and 2 tow-along trailers...One that stands out is the 2004 MADP...loved that coach ..had it for 8 years ,it was great... Of the 7 motorhomes 3 were Newmars....should never have switched to another brand in between them...Live and Learn...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Bigger engine? We want that 605 HP right? Well that just means half the mileage (I think) compared to my zero complaints 400 HP at approx 6.8 mpg.
Neal, if its any relief to you, the 600Hp ISX 15 in my '17 EX uniformlly averages 6.2 MPG w/toad behind it. And, why wait unto 2027 when you can own one today...at least that's what they advertise of almost all high dollar consumer items today ;-), besides you can likely finance it for oh, lets say the next 50 years if need be.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #4

After having 2 moter homes and 2 5th wheel trailers all new I don’t know if I ever want another one new. Pretty flustering getting the bugs out and they got worse as the technology advanced.

Pointrow
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Neal, if its any relief to you, the 600Hp ISX 15 in my '17 EX uniformlly averages 6.2 MPG w/toad behind it. And, why wait unto 2027 when you can own one today...at least that's what they advertise of almost all high dollar consumer items today ;-), besides you can likely finance it for oh, lets say the next 50 years if need be.
Please stick to the subject, you're not helping!!!!!!!!!

Or maybeeeee I could just take yours for a spin for a month and see if I like it without letting go of my VTDP??? Hmmmm
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
After having 2 moter homes and 2 5th wheel trailers all new I don’t know if I ever want another one new. Pretty flustering getting the bugs out and they got worse as the technology advanced.

Pointrow
Just to refine the discussion, it's not really about buying "new" but new to you, i.e. replacing a coach with a different one. Do you regret letting something go you had in the past and wish you didn't replace it?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We traded our great, very dependable '02 DSDP fir the present Magna with a 650 HP ISX. Kept the DSDP for 13 years and had very little trouble.
So far I've spent $35,000 on the Magna, including over $22,000 in an engine rebuild. If my late DW wwre still around I'm sure she'd be making my life miserable over the Magna!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We are on our third motor home, had a toy box between the two DPs. First coach, gas no slides. Great coach but I wanted Diesel and Wife wanted slides. Was a 34ft Horizon with 175 Cummins. Kept it 12 happy years. At the 100,000 mi mark I figured it was time to replace, bought the toy box in a stupid "down size" move. Kept it one year and bought our current Coach. Bigger, 36 ft, two slices and bigger motor. Newer than last one and low mileage, clean and eye appealing to us. All good right, well not exactly. Shortly after purchase maintenance issues began. Been working on that rascal ever since. We do like the coach but the only faith we have is what will be the next item to haunt us.

One of our travel mates purchased a NEW 40ft Fleetwood Diesel pusher and has had major issues and down time.

So, a thought I often quote, yesterdays history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a blessing, enjoy. Jake
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Interesting comment about "simple is better". After a lot of research we bought the simplest coach Newmar sells. We have looked at a number of upscale coaches since and every time we come away happy with our decision.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

The question you ask is the situation my wife and I find ourselves in right now. We have a 2004 dsdp. We have owned it for 12 years and it has been a great dependable coach. I have done all the maintenance myself and the coach is in perfect condition. Even looks almost new as it gets waxed each year and stored inside. Recently replaced tires and batteries and have updated tv's and sound systems. Since the coach is over 10 years old I have permanent plates on the coach. My annual operating expenses are mostly for insurance and oil changes supplies as the coach is paid for. Our dilemma is do we keep the current coach ,which as I speak, (knock on wood), there is not one thing that needs repair. Or do we bite the bullet and purchase a new coach (another dsdp) which scares me somewhat with all the problems new owners have experienced on this forum. Also of concern is the complexity of the new coaches. We are snowbirds and spend the winters in the coach in Florida which we will do for another ten years or so God willing. We are leaning toward a new coach which we can afford. If I project keeping the current coach another 10 years it will be 24 years old which doesn't seem practical. So our thinking is we might as well get it now and enjoy it as we will eventually need a new one. However it will be extremely difficult to let go of our current coach.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Two issues have kept me in my current coach: 1) Virginia’s personal property tax, and 2) the simplicity of my coach’s systems.

I’ve become quite adept at fixing things myself, and the complexities of newer systems scare me away. For now.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We traded our great, very dependable '02 DSDP for the present Magna with a 650 HP ISX. Kept the DSDP for 13 years and had very little trouble.
So far I've spent $35,000 on the Magna, including over $22,000 in an engine rebuild. If my late DW were still around I'm sure she'd be making my life miserable over the Magna!!
I should add that my ISX has averaged 7.6 mpg over 49,000 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We have owned three "pull toys" and two motorhomes, and are in the process of ordering a new motorhome. We really don't have any "regrets" from moving forward. Our RVs have been tools to enjoy traveling; sometimes with our kids or grandkids and other times just the two of us. What we have from each RV are the great memories we accumulated along the way.

Now each of the RVs had some features we really liked and some deficiencies we worked around. None, however, were things that created long-lasting regrets. Each new RV brought with it some new features that we chose deliberately to make our travels more enjoyable and memorable.

So, no "regrets" and lots of memories.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #14

No regrets about the coach. Just the dealer I bought it from.
The service department at General RV in Orange Park, FL is absolutely terrible!
I took delivery in April 2017 after a very painful 6 hour delivery process where it was nowhere near ready for us to drive off. Then we had to take it back the next day for a crack in the slide body.
A month of in and out service where problems were half-ass fixed or made worse.
It's been there this time for 2 1/2 months with weekly promises of next week, which never seems to get here.
Nine months of payments and insurance and 3 1/2 months of loss of use.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying