Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Releveling HWH jacks after ground settles

We find that our coach often loses its initial level and that "firm" feeling once the ground settles a bit under our HWH jack pads, despite using a plastic base and some wood blocking to spread the load of the jack over a somewhat wider area. What is the correct procedure to have the automatic level system adjust for the settling? We find that the way we have been trying to cause a levelling correction is not helping, no matter whether we try using the automatic button, or try to do it with the manual arrow buttons.
Thanks for any advice you can share on improving our approach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

I always use the manual buttons to readjust level. The automatic is a good starting point but it seems with even the initial level it requires a little adjustment.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a torpedo level on the floor between the drivers seat and on the floor nearer the rear at the bath. If needed to trim the level just using the manual buttons. But seldom do anything unless for some reason the out of level has become objectionable. Usually only occurs if soft or wet ground.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TinMan Trvlr,
Is the ground settling or the jacks retracting just a bit? If the jacks are settling, you should see the jack pad moving down into the earth.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #5

...I tend to readjust the leveling automatically. I did it manually a couple times and it didn't feel right.

Good luck!

~George
Road_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Gary we find that while we are on gravel parking pads the gravel must have been "fluffed up" by the prior coach pulling out. When we first level up, the HWH thinks we are firmly supported, but after the first day the gravel must compact enough that we are just mainly sitting on the suspension again, even though I can't pull any of the blocking out from under the HWH jack pad. Instead of the coach floor feeling as steady as a "sticks and bricks" floor when we walk on it, we can feel a persons footsteps jiggling the coach around a little.

When doing a releveling, do we just turn on the coach ignition or do we have to start the engine to "reset" the HWH so it will allow us to use the auto-level button? It does not seem to want to work after we have first leveled up, even if we have it go through the auto-store routine.

Thanks for responding.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

...I just turn on the ignition (no engine) and let it re-level itself. It doesn't dump and restart the leveling process.

~George
Road_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #8

I always tweak our leveling. I really don't want it perfectly level. I'll raise the front just a little so any rainfall runs off the back & slides.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TinMan Trvlr,
When my wife travels in the coach she is very sensitive to coach movement. What I do is complete the initial leveling process. This is okay for me. When the wife complains, I raise the coach a bit manually. This puts more weight on the jacks. If she requires additional firmness I will raise the coach a bit until she is okay with how the coach feels. I do not raise the coach much each time, just enough to make a difference,,,,for her.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan Trvlr View Post
We find that our coach often loses its initial level and that "firm" feeling once the ground settles a bit under our HWH jack pads, despite using a plastic base and some wood blocking to spread the load of the jack over a somewhat wider area. What is the correct procedure to have the automatic level system adjust for the settling? We find that the way we have been trying to cause a levelling correction is not helping, no matter whether we try using the automatic button, or try to do it with the manual arrow buttons.

Thanks for any advice you can share on improving our approach.

We camp at many state parks on dirt/grass and on Martha's Vineyard which is sand. Both type of sites tend to "Settle" overnight the first night. We simply hit the retract all jacks, then auto level again. Just make sure your sewer and water hoses are clear when the MH drops.

After the second adjustment, we are usually good for the rest of our stay. 40,000 lbs tends to compact dirt and sand sites.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

Ours tend to settle especially after DW does a few loads of laundry. I just relevel and use the shower door for alignment. If it stays in place when opened it's good.
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Commercial Member

you can just hit the auto level button and let the computer do its job again. the great thing is no harm is done. it will just start at the beginning, no matter where the jacks are, and will complete the operation.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #13

Newmarpusher

I have a 2016 Dutch star 4018 FWS. Are there any issues with retracting the jacks then auto leveling again with FWS out?
Kevin
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #14
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Newmarpusher

I have a 2016 Dutch star 4018 FWS. Are there any issues with retracting the jacks then auto leveling again with FWS out?

Kevin

You have a completely different FWS mechanism in a 2016 than a 2015 Ventana does. We do not have any issues with this since we always extend the FWS while aired up / off the jacks.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling