Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Remodeled my 2016 Dutch Star!

You would think that a 2 year old Dutch Star would not need remodeling, but as full timers, we just weren't happy with our layout.

Wood Design RV Interiors is located in Nappannee, IN, about 5 miles from Newmar. Most of the employees there used to work for Newmar and still do some contract work for them.

I did discuss our project with other RV re-modelers, but they did not provide a quote or I did not get a "warm and fuzzy" feeling about their competency.

I met Gene Miller, the owner at the FMCA Rally in Perry in March. He came over to the coach took lots of pictures and measurements and in about a week, he sent me some CAD renderings of what the project would look like and the costs.

We changed a few things and settled on a price and date. In May, we went to Wood Design RV Interiors on a Sunday and met with Gene and his team, first thing Monday. During the day, he had 50 amp service, but not at night as he gets his power from a generator. By Wednesday, he was done and we were on our way.

We had two projects on was expanding the buffet (the old one was only 8 inches deep)to fit our computers and printer (now 15 inches deep), and to detach the dining room table from the wall and make it as a standalone table with a leaf. Turned out we got an extra leaf for free since they had our old table anyway. So our dining room table can sit 6 easy!

The other project was the pantry. Newmar's pantry was 6 drawers and barely wide enough to fit two cans side by side. Since we full-time, we really needed the extra storage. Next to the drawers we could see a lot of wasted space and we looked to Gene for recommendations. We ended up 6 shelves which were adjustable and twice as wide. As you can see from the before and after pictures it was quite a triumph to double our pantry!

The three days that we were there was awesome, I'm sure Gene and his team wished we left them alone as we had changes every day! Gene would discuss it and he was totally open to any suggestions we made. It was truly a pleasure working with him and would highly recommend the company for any kind of work done on your coach.

Please let me know if you want anymore info or have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9353.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	205758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remodel Over (6).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	205759  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Remodel Over (3).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	205760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remodel Before (24).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	205761  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

Well done, Frank! Looking forward to seeing it in person if you will be attending Hoots VI.

Hilton
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, Hilton! Unfortunately, we will be up in the Pacific NW during Hoots...
Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #4

Looks REALLY nice! Congrats on getting things custom fit to meet your needs! Always extra nice hearing good stories of competence & success! Sharing your success will give others the incentive and courage to do the same
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

Very nice Frank! I'm thinking of stopping by Nappannee and having them build a couple doors or drawers to fill the space created from removing the dish washer.
(which is for sale cheap)
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

Frank,

Great looking upgrade! We have come to the conclusion that the free standing table will also work for us.

How wide are the leafs? Are they the size that Newmar provides and how wide are they. What is the total table length?

Thanks for the pictures.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, led, remodel