Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

Remove Residue from Kountry Klub Decals

My older decals (5th wheel with the blue numbers) was looking very bad. I used the hair dryer to remove the decals. A hard residue remains. It will not come off with the heat from a hair dryer.

Any suggestions regarding removal. I want to get a nice, clean, and even surface before I install the new decals.

Thanks!!!
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #2

Goop usually works.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #3

Almost any petroluem based "solvent" will remove the residue. try spraying a little WD-40 and wipe off. Stronger fluids such as mineral spirits or kerosene should also work. A little "elbow grease" may be needed. Once removed, you'll need to wash off the oily film with soap & water. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jojolima,
Goo Gone works for me. Go to Goo Gone Cleaners | and read about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
3m general purpose adhesive cleaner
buy at any auto parts store
removes glue and will not hurt paint
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

OK, The decals are GONE!!!! I can still feel the outline of the NewmarKountryKlub at the top. Not easy to see, but it is still there. Now white on white. It feels raised.

Next set of ideas!!!!

Thanks for your help. Not an easy job for the senior citizen.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

Try using a PLASTIC putty knife or Bondo applicator and gently scrape the ridge while liberally applying any of the above solvents (WD40, GooGone, etc..). Use the solvent both as a lubricant for the knife (remember I did say plastic knife) and as a decal ridge solvent.

For practice start with a Bondo applicator as they tend to be very soft and pliable. This way you can get a feel for what is going on w/o risk of paint damage. The soft blade might not be stiff enough to dig off the ridge. But try it.

As you gain confidence with the Bondo applicator you might need to move to a semi-rigid plastic putty knife and use a little more oomph. You can get a variety of stiffness of these and I'd start with more pliable until you gain confidence and see if you really do need more stiffness.

Use either tool at a nearly a flat against the sidewall angle (the more perpendicular to the sidewall you dig the more the risk of paint gouging) is the best way to start.

If this scrape & solvent approach still doesn't work, it almost always does, EXTREME careful use of a heat gun with the plastic tools, NO solvent, and a well gloved hand might be in order. I did say EXTREME careful use of heat gun and NO solvent, right?

Good luck, patience is the operative word in this endeavor.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote