Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

Removed DynaBeads, replaced with Centramatics, no improvement

I had about 20,000 miles on my Michelin 305/70/22.5 tires with DynaBeads installed in steer tires for smoother ride. Didn't work so went with Centramatics installed after tire shop removed the beads and balanced the steer tires. They removed the clip on weights and installed the stick-on weights on the inside area of the wheels. Still no improvement in ride smoothness between 55 - 65 MPH.
Smooth ride up to 50 MPH but closer getting to 55 rougher the ride gets and more vibration under driver's feet and really uncomfortable to run in the 55-65 range, which about 62-63 is normally my favorite speed.

Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions or advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
what psi do you have in your tires... are you absolutely sure it's not bad tires ????

Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I had vibrations too and Freightliner spent quite a bit of time on my tires, amazingly, and my ride is amazing (with none of that stuff installed). First thing is checking the runouts (roundness of the tires) and then balance them.

In the end FL shouldn't have done this (they should have advised me to call Michelin, but they did it which was way cool), call Michelin, they will tell you where to take your MH and they will fix this. Two of my tires were so out of balance FL had Michelin replace them (warranty).

Runouts and balance are crucial, once done the ride is amazing.

NealC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Replaced our Michelin XZA2 Energy tires with Hankook AH37 tires, and couldn’t be more pleased. Ride, steering, noise levels all substantially better. Installer was shocked at how much weight was on each tire to balance. Right front was way out of round, cupping, and had 16 oz of weights to “balance” it. All but one of the others had between 10 and 12 oz. Hankooks balances with the worst tire at 6!! Oz. Never Michelin again for us. Everyone makes their own choice, we’ve made ours.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
No amount of weights or balancing can overcome a out-of-round-tire!
I have bought a lot of tires over the years for my semi's! Had a standing rule that I informed the tire shop BEFORE they sold and mounted and balanced the tires! If it took more than 6ozs of weight to balance or they were the least bit out of round, get another tire! I walked away from a few shops with that rule, but, it is my money, my equipment, and my choice!

Centramatic's told me I did not have to spin balance my tires, and I ask them how do you tell if they are out of round then? They just said, OK,! I have always had my tires spin balanced, so you can see if they are out of round! I negotiate that in the price along with the mounting!

Your money, your choice, your tires! Rail!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #6

i had a pretty good vibration that developed over 62mph.....i thought it was in the back, but it wasn't....

was runout in the front drivers tire....adjusted, and re-balanced, and very smooth now...

so as has been said, if a tire is too far out of spec to be brought in, then another tire is needed...that is my guess with one of your tires (or maybe both, but i suspect it's one of them)....

just my .02 cents...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I had about 20,000 miles on my Michelin 305/70/22.5 tires with DynaBeads installed in steer tires for smoother ride. Didn't work so went with Centramatics installed after tire shop removed the beads and balanced the steer tires. They removed the clip on weights and installed the stick-on weights on the inside area of the wheels. Still no improvement in ride smoothness between 55 - 65 MPH.
Smooth ride up to 50 MPH but closer getting to 55 rougher the ride gets and more vibration under driver's feet and really uncomfortable to run in the 55-65 range, which about 62-63 is normally my favorite speed.

Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions or advice.
Bad tires are bad tires Michelin should be the Solution - give them a Call. -

JMHO,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

Wagonmaster,

I had this problem on our SOB coach. After taking our coach to three truck tire dealers and a Freightliner Oasis facility in Colorado, we still had the vibration at 58 mph.

Ultimately, the problem was found to be radial runout on the front tires was out of spec. To resolve the problem, we took our coach to Freightliner of Arizona in Tolleson. First, they removed all the previously applied wheels weights. Then they removed the tires from the wheels, rotated ¼ turn, remounted and checked the radial runout. They kept doing this until the runout was in spec. I drove off with no wheel weights and the ride was very smooth. This was with Michelin tires and Accuride wheels. I found that both the tires and the aluminum wheels were very true. They just had to be mounted properly.
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #9

Removed DynaBeads, replaced with Centramatics, no improvement

I always have my new tires “trued” (spin-trimmed) to eliminate out of round. It’s about 30 bucks. They last much longer and usually don’t need balancing.
Always smooth

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Find a truck tire dealer that does Force Balancing. They will also check for out of round. You may have a bad rim. My last MH I had 4 bad rims from the factory.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

Appreciate all the replys. The tire shop that balanced the front tires said they used 2 oz. on one tire and 12 oz. on the other, and insisted that wasn't unusual for a large truck tire. Should have balked right then but never had that much weight on a motor home tire so dummy me just took him at his word since I've had 4 oz on a small auto tire and it balanced fine. Standing behind the balancer while the tire was spinning it didn't look like either was out of round any.

Am running 110-112 lbs on the fronts, depending on early morning temperatures.

Wasn't sure whether to call FL or Michelin, but will start with Michelin as this trip ends.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
i had the very same issue even after installing Centramatic balancers on the front.

Turns out while in Gaffney for annual service, the vibration was actually being caused by an inside tire on the duals that was out of balance. Sure felt like the vibration was caused by the steer tires...not the case.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
i had the very same issue even after installing Centramatic balancers on the front.

Turns out while in Gaffney for annual service, the vibration was actually being caused by an inside tire on the duals that was out of balance. Sure felt like the vibration was caused by the steer tires...not the case.

True that!
On a previous rig I had the same symptoms. It was ply separation on a rear dual tire causing a wobble; tail wagging the dog!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Could a rear tire actually cause the steering wheel to shake very slightly while feeling a vibration in the floor under the driver's feet? It always just feels like a tire under my feet is doing the bouncing.

Did your shop have to remove both sets of duals and spin each tire to find the culprit?

I was planning on going back to the same tire shop that did the original balancing of the front tires and ask them to re-check the balance, but that may be a waste of time since they are not a Michelin shop and couldn't do anything if they found a bad tire.

Sure appreciate all the experiences as this is getting way over my tire experience for the last 60 years or so.

Tags
ace, replace