Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Renovating furniture in our 2006 DSDP ?

Would appreciate your opinion: our floorplan is 4024 - 2006 DSDP

1) Lazyboy (FAT!) has to go out and we would get a more ergonomic chair to read or watch TV (overhead LCD)

2) The sofa-bed couch, brown, (also a Lazyboy product), finished in tissue and not leather, is very unconfortable - we do not use the bed - and to tell you the trutch, it looks ugly - We would replace it with 2 nice chairs

Both replacement furnitures have to be stable - does a 'code' exist for furniture in a MH ?

We could drop by Specialty shops in Florida (like ClassicCoachWorks) and pay the heavy prices - I think we could find some suitable furniture locally.
Thanks for your advice
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I had the Consul model in my DSDP and now I'm sitting in it at home as I sold my DSDP.

Stressless® Diplomat

It's compact yet roomy enough and absolutely the most comfortable chair I ever had. However, it is pricey.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden View Post
Lazyboy (FAT!) has to go out and we would get a more ergonomic chair to read or watch TV (overhead LCD)
If you don't want to spend BIG money on the most comfortable recliner in the world, DO NOT, I repeat, do not sit in a Stressless Euro recliner:
Stressless® Tampa

The link is to the model that is the most comfortable. Other models are ok, but not like the Tampa, Reno, or Vegas. The model makes a big difference in comfort, and price.

Our stock recliner is very comfortable, but, too big and heavy for the space. So I have been looking for a replacement. I found the perfect replacement, but havent been able to justify the cost, yet...

We have a dealer here in Spokane, so I stop by occasionally and sit in the chair to see if I'm ready for one... not yet!

I see Route66 beat me to posting...

There are two Diplomats listed here on Craigslist for $350 each, so I went to try them out as "consolation" chair to the Tampa. The price was right, but just not nearly as comfortable as the Tampa, Reno, Vegas. Still considering them, but really want the other model.

Another point about the Stressless recliner; they come in three different widths which makes a big different in comfort (and price). The Diplomats, here locally, are not the widest which makes me apprehensive about making the decision. For me, the wider model is the most comfortable.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
When You get right down to it ,none of the Furniture inside Our Rv's is secured particularly well.
The Safety (Seat) Belts will be bolted through the Floor and backed by Metal Plates etc. however the Chairs and couches are usually secured using Lag Bolts or Screws into the "Plywood".
Some actually do use Nuts/Washers and Bolts . For some reason nobody gets too upset with this method of keeping things together.
Even the Dining Table and Chairs are Not factory Bolted down in Our rig. I hate to think what would happen if We drove Off the Road and down into a gulley!
Likely We would be crushed by the Stuff behind us falling forward.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post

I see Route66 beat me to posting...
However, we do agree on the Stressless line.

I ordered mine in burgundy leather and cherry wood finish to match my DSDP's interior.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #6

We just put LaZBoy Pinnacles in our FW. They are smaller (but not too small--I'm 5'11") and comfy. We added the swivel base so they rock, swivel, and recline. There are other models of LaZBoy that are smaller, too. Don't rule out a recliner if you like them.

liz
Old 07-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Renden, hi from the west coast. The code's involved would be for seat belts/passengers, while in motion. If you never plan to carry passengers then you're OK. Chairs could be tethered, using the existing seat belt bolts, in the couch area. Keep the couch and belts for possible re-sale of your coach. A free standing "tub " chair on carpet , never moved more than 3" in transit, in our 5th wheel, till we drove the Gaspe last Sept. But then we'd never broken a dish in 5 years till we hit that road eigther .
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV
When You get right down to it ,none of the Furniture inside Our Rv's is secured particularly well.
The Safety (Seat) Belts will be bolted through the Floor and backed by Metal Plates etc. however the Chairs and couches are usually secured using Lag Bolts or Screws into the "Plywood".
Some actually do use Nuts/Washers and Bolts . For some reason nobody gets too upset with this method of keeping things together.
Even the Dining Table and Chairs are Not factory Bolted down in Our rig. I hate to think what would happen if We drove Off the Road and down into a gulley!
Likely We would be crushed by the Stuff behind us falling forward.
In our Unit, both Lazyboy chair recliner and sofa are not anchored !
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
Renden, hi from the west coast. The code's involved would be for seat belts/passengers, while in motion. If you never plan to carry passengers then you're OK. Chairs could be tethered, using the existing seat belt bolts, in the couch area. Keep the couch and belts for possible re-sale of your coach. A free standing "tub " chair on carpet , never moved more than 3" in transit, in our 5th wheel, till we drove the Gaspe last Sept. But then we'd never broken a dish in 5 years till we hit that road eigther .
Hi from the East coast and Happy Canada day ...thanks for your comment and agree that Quebec roads are somewhat XXX !!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

We put a small Lazyboy recliner in ours. The model has the word "Harbor" in it. Can't remember exactly. We like them so well we also have two in our home.
In our 2007 DSDP 4307, we store it on the driver's side slide when traveling, then pull it out into the floor area when set up with slides out. Fit through the door easily by just taking the back off.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We ordered an Ecknores(sp?) Stressless sofa and chair from Stephanie @ Classic Coachworks in Lakeland, FL. They (the sofa, chair & Stephanie) are awesome. They secured the sofa & it does not move. We will soon order one for our home, probably from them as well.

We've traveled several thousand miles with these two & not had the first problem.

Classic just installed a residential refrigerator for us, & love it as well.
We have a 2005 DSDP 4009 (3 slides). Their craftsmanship is as good as Newmar.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do have one major problem with my Stressless recliner;

It's almost impossible to watch TV in the evening while sitting in my chair.

It's so comfortable, I keep dozing off!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I do have one major problem with my Stressless recliner;

It's almost impossible to watch TV in the evening while sitting in my chair.

It's so comfortable, I keep dozing off!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
We put a small Lazyboy recliner in ours. The model has the word "Harbor" in it. Can't remember exactly. We like them so well we also have two in our home.
In our 2007 DSDP 4307, we store it on the driver's side slide when traveling, then pull it out into the floor area when set up with slides out. Fit through the door easily by just taking the back off.
Just ordered 2 of those Harbor Town Reclina-Way with nice leather - by La-z-boy

Only thing is to figure how to take the LazyBoy Sofa out without using a chain-saw