Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

Repair Shop Recommendation?

Any recommendations and considerations for a selecting a repair shop in the Midwest (based in Kansas City area)?

On our most recent trip I had a blowout of the right-front tire while traveling on the interstate. I was able to control the coach and safely steer it to the side of the road. When the tire blew, it completely tore off the wheel fender, leaving the fuel filler hose, and side running and docking light wires dangling. Also, when the tire tread came apart, it hit the top of the wheel well so hard it broke several floor tires inside the coach and damaged the top of the wheel well.

I would greatly appreciate any input and thoughts on identifying and selecting a repair shop.

Thanks, Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dang! What a tough break!

Have you contacted Newmar for a recommendation? I'm sure it's out of warranty, unless you have an extended service contract. I would contact them first.

Good luck!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaFlyer View Post
Any recommendations and considerations for a selecting a repair shop in the Midwest (based in Kansas City area)?

On our most recent trip I had a blowout of the right-front tire while traveling on the interstate. I was able to control the coach and safely steer it to the side of the road. When the tire blew, it completely tore off the wheel fender, leaving the fuel filler hose, and side running and docking light wires dangling. Also, when the tire tread came apart, it hit the top of the wheel well so hard it broke several floor tires inside the coach and damaged the top of the wheel well.

I would greatly appreciate any input and thoughts on identifying and selecting a repair shop.

Thanks, Mike
Ouch!! Sorry this occurred!! If it is still safe to drive, I would consider taking it the 600 miles to Newmar and let them repair it. Not sure if they still do, but they did offer a nice discount for work over the winter months. Hopefully, your insurance will take care of most of the expenses.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

As a second possibility for repair, try Precision Painting in Breman IN about 6 miles from Nappanee. They have done body work in the past and also interior work.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Call Steve (the service writer) at Coachlight RV in Carthage MO; 800-799-7444, they did a major repair for us!!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Why not Transwest?

I don't know the shop's complete capabilities, but why are you not taking the rig to the Newmar dealer in the Kansas City area, Transwest in Belton, Mo?
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
gy1

I agree with Stealth01. Coachlight does great work
gy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #8

I checked with Transwest before I posted the thread. They told me they were not currently equipped to handle the scope of needed repairs. They did have a body shop they use for the exterior, but it didn't sound like they had a solution for the interior repairs.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Call Steve (the service writer) at Coachlight RV in Carthage MO; 800-799-7444, they did a major repair for us!!
I know Coachlight does good work but are they able to handle the ceramic floor tiles? I have one chipped and two cracked already on my 2015 DS that need attention.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #10

In my discussion with Steve at Coachlight and Newmar service department, I am told they can handle the floor tile. When I get back from my current trip I will be bringing the coach down to Coachlight for an estimate, I will confirm then.

Tags
repair