Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Repairing Your Power Foot Rest

The power foot rest found on the passenger front seat on some coaches is a great feature. Great until it breaks and fails to operate correctly.

One of the most common failure is the drive gear wearing out. The symtoms for this involves a weak to no lift and requires helping it move while the button is held. Eventually it will completely stop working. For this failure you will hear the motor running, but no good movement. This repar will also allow you to replace the motor should that be the issue. If so, I would recommend replacing the 90 degree gear box and worm gear also at that time.

First remove the rear flap and the skirt that rounds around the bottom of the seat. These are fastened only with velcro and pull right off.

Now remove the 5 bolt and nuts securing the chair from the top of the pedisal. Remove the 2 seat belt anchors from the base at the rear of the pedisal. Disconnect the power plug and lift the chair off the pedistal and set it upside down.

Remove the 4 bolts from that hold the seat mechanism assembly and slide it down. You will now see the worm screw, 90 degree gearbox and the motor. Take the nut off the worm screw retainer. Remove the cross bolt that secures the gearbox. Now you can remove the gearbox/worm screw assembly as the motor drive is a flexible shaft.

Replace the gearbox/worm screw assembly. (It only comes as an assembly) There are two things you will need to do to fit the new assembly. First, you will have to grind off about 3/16" of the bakelite housing half to fit into the gearbox bracket. You will note that the old one has been ground down to fit too. Now, additionally, you will note that the replacement worm screw is over 2 inches longer than the old one. This has to be cut to length as there is not room to accommodate the over length. The motor could be replaced at this time if required.

I dismantled the gear box to show how they fail. Note in the photo below that the plastic gear is worn out.

After you install the new parts, reconnect the power cord and test it for proper adjustment. The adjustment is controlled as to where you position the screw before securing the fixed point down the screw.

Now just re-assemble reversing the procedure. You now have a great working power foot rest!!!

I just thought I would pass this along to help anyone that has a failed unit. They will all fail at this point eventually, depending on the use.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaft.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	32254  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This exactly what has happened to the passenger seat in my 2005 MADP with the Villa International seats in it.. Wish I was that handy to be able to change mine out.. With your detailed description I just may try to tackle it. Was wondering what all the parts cost and why there has to be those two modifications on the new gear?? Thanks for posting !

Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

I do not know the part cost yet. I just ordered it and told them to get it to me. I will post when it shows on my credit card.

This is a DYI project, not techical in any sense. You do need two people to handle the chair as it is somewhat heavy and very ackward. To unfasten the bolt/nut (5)/ positioning each corner of the chair over the stair well by rotating it, makes it very accessible. The right front corner is the only one you need to remove while laying on the floor.

I don't know why the modifications are required. I guess they use a standard product that adapts to their applications. The mod's are easy though.

Good luck if you tackle it, I'm sure you will be pleased and rewarded by your talent.

Peter
Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the pictures and insight. I too wish that my abilities were as comprehensive. Never the less I now have great insight into future problems.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Guys, this is not rocket science. It is quite simple. You can remove and re-install the entire job in 2 hours or so. Allow 3 or 4 hours if you have a full case of beer.

Peter
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the write up Peter. Our has not failed yet, so I will keep this in mind.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Peter what brand are the seats in your coach? thanks Dave
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post
Peter what brand are the seats in your coach? thanks Dave
Dave they are Villa seats. Newmar does not use Flex Steel. The folks at Villa in California were very helpful and had my part shipped overnight to me in Florida.

Peter
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
:dance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Dave they are Villa seats. Newmar does not use Flex Steel. The folks at Villa in California were very helpful and had my part shipped overnight to me in Florida.

Peter
Lug_Nut I had Flexsteel in my 2000 Mt. Aire so I thought maybe you had your choice in 2005, When you get a price of the parts please be sure to post I think I'm going to tackle this.. Thanks again,Dave.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post
:dance

Lug_Nut I had Flexsteel in my 2000 Mt. Aire so I thought maybe you had your choice in 2005, When you get a price of the parts please be sure to post I think I'm going to tackle this.. Thanks again,Dave.
Dave, I had called Flex Steel, thinking it was their's, but when I said an '07 Essex, they said they did not supply Newmar. Ops!

HELLO! Villa is written on the inside of the skirt about 20 times.

Anyway, in talking to Flex steel, they seem to have several styles, some mounted with the motor to the right and other to the left. But, they seemed willing to help.

Peter
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #11

This summer I replaced both drive cables for the footrest on the Flexsteel seat in our 2000 MADP. Did it with the seat in.
mlr1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Dave, I had called Flex Steel, thinking it was their's, but when I said an '07 Essex, they said they did not supply Newmar. Ops!

HELLO! Villa is written on the inside of the skirt about 20 times.

Anyway, in talking to Flex steel, they seem to have several styles, some mounted with the motor to the right and other to the left. But, they seemed willing to help.

Peter
Peter mine is Villa, so was there just one motor for it?? And when you get the bill please post the approximate cost... Thanks Dave..
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Dutch Star and below uses Flex Steel.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #14

Okay, I got the cost, extremely reasonable in my opinion. The charges which included overnight courier from California to Florida (Box about the size of a good sized telephone book. Total $81.00 I would assume the shipping was at least $30 or more, leaving the part at maybe $50 or less. The part includes the steel worm screw (9" long) and 90 degree gearbox attached.

Peter

Tags
power