RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Replace battery advice

I need to replace the six house batteries in my 2014 Dutchstar. Iím thinking about replacing them with 6 Lifeline GPL-6CT batteries (300 amp hours per battery). The width/length of these batteries are the same as my current batteries. But the height of these batteries is 13 inches. I measured the space in my battery tray compartment area - seems there is room for 13Ē high battery. Second, the batteries are 90 pounds each, which is about 25 pounds heavier (per battery) than what I have today.

Any opinions on these batteries? Should I be concerned with the added height or weight? I called Newmar and they said they didnít think the added weight should matter.

Thank you, Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #2

Would adding the battery cables impact your fitment...you have probably thought that thru, but thought I would mention it.

Good Luck with your swap out!

FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #3

Hard to beat Costco for Interstate 6 volt batteries. Less then 100$ a piece with a 3 year replacement free of charge. Have put them in our Essex and numerous other Newmar's. Our 18 LA came with AGM batteries and will have to see how they do in the future.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Lifelines batteries are the finest quality, longest lasting,
and are superior to all other AGM batteries. They cost
more but are worth it. IMHO.
Developed for the military, used in all the high quality
aircraft, boats and rvs, you will not be disappointed.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

The question I would be asking is do you plan to switch to Lithium batteries when the technology matures and the prices come down, hopefully in the next 3-4 years?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhilbe View Post
I need to replace the six house batteries in my 2014 Dutchstar. Iím thinking about replacing them with 6 Lifeline GPL-6CT batteries (300 amp hours per battery). The width/length of these batteries are the same as my current batteries. But the height of these batteries is 13 inches. I measured the space in my battery tray compartment area - seems there is room for 13Ē high battery. Second, the batteries are 90 pounds each, which is about 25 pounds heavier (per battery) than what I have today.

Any opinions on these batteries? Should I be concerned with the added height or weight? I called Newmar and they said they didnít think the added weight should matter.

Thank you, Dave
I installed 8 of these this in my 2018 LA. I had to fabricate a hold down frame and new crossover cables. No regrets much improved capicity. Had Lifelines in my last MH they were still going strong 5 years later.
dougfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #7

Remember when disconnecting the cables to remove the POSITIVE first to avoid damage to the inverter. If the ground is removed first the inverter will try to find a ground through the display and cook it from what I've been told.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Lifeline are an excellent battery but pricey. Since we donít do a lot of boondocking I installed 8 Dura Cell agm 6v golf cart batteries from Samís. They are made in the USA by East Penn. They are about $180 each. I have been real happy with them.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #9

AGM Batteries

Dhibe- you are definitely doing the right thing! Three years ago I replaced my 8 Discover AGM batteries (OEM) that only lasted 21 months - What a piece of Chinese Junk! with 8 Lifeline GPL-6CT batteries- about $3,200.

I had used Lifeline in my previous 2 coaches & had great longevity & service from them. In my 2005 MADP they were 9 years old & still going great!

To eliminate your concern about the increased weight, which is correct- I called the battery tray manufacture & talked with them. They said 720# was no problem as the tray is designed for 1,200 # uniform load & they have tested it to well above that weight. I have been running with them for 3 years & over 20,000 miles & the tray is still solid as a rock & operating smoothly.

I have now been able to boondock for up to 3 days without starting the generator.

As the old saying goes- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for comments and suggestions. I talked with battery retailer today - very knowledgeable about RV batteries. He will have Lifeline ship the 6 batteries to a shipper here in Houston. I then go pick them up. Out the door price is just at $400/battery.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Lifeline are an excellent battery but pricey. Since we donít do a lot of boondocking I installed 8 Dura Cell agm 6v golf cart batteries from Samís. They are made in the USA by East Penn. They are about $180 each. I have been real happy with them.
Same here. So far, so good
Old 02-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhilbe View Post

Thank you, Dave
Weight ALWAYS matters, if you should worry about the extra weight or not would depend on your current corner weights. As others have said the batteries are quality batteries.
SMertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I also installed these Duracell's. A little less amp rating but they're all I need

racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, advice, battery, replace