Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Replace or Repair?

This is probably a much discussed topic but here goes.
We have recently purchased a 2005 DS. Thinking it was fairly new we thought it would not have the troubles that our old motor home had - wrong. We seem to be constantly having to replace or repair.
The last group of items are; leveling jacks, water pump, slide covers,very noisy gen set (not a cummins), a lot of road noise, looks like shocks.
Have we purchased a unit that has not been maintained and are now paying the price for it.
If we buy a new unit will life be any better.
Dave
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hard to say for sure in your case, but I can tell you that the 2008 FW Discovery 40x that I purchased *new* in late 2009 had more problems when I bought it than when I sold it.

I am an owner that obsesses over little things, and gets it fixed. I probably spent too much money on it to turn around and sell it, but I **wanted** the newmar dutch star, so that is what I based my decision on.

I had to replace the hydraulic jacks, front shades, wiring harness for the ECM, remove and reinstall the generator to replace a belt & coolant recovery, replace shocks, replace dometic refer, replace wd combo, slide relays. The list goes on. Some of this was covered by warranty, but even those items that were, a few of them I just paid out of pocket because the warranty was too much of a hassle.

Same goes for the extended warranty. I had it, and will not have another one. I spent too much time trying to get them to pay for things they should pay for.

Hopefully you can look at it as a hobby, and once you set your expectations that RV means "Repair Vehicle" just as often as "Recreational Vehicle", things may be easier to deal with.

During the 3 months that I have been without an RV, I borrowed a friends 2010 Itasca Meridian. Since then I have done about $500 in repairs on things like air line t-fittings, solenoids, water pumps...all minor, but it does add up.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

Sorry your having troubles Dave. I would take a pen to paper and look at the costs to repair the items on your list vs the premium you would pay for a new rig. It is still probably be cheaper to just repair it yet you dont know what else is in store for you. If you purchase a newer model chances are you will get a warranty and as long as your close to the service dealer than it should be alot less hassle. I am a penny pincher so I would stick with it and get it repaired but I absolutely understand your frustration. Not enjoyable to go through that.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If the floor plan meets your needs, the coach will haul all your stuff and tow your vehicle, repair it. You'll get it the way you want it and many happy miles wait for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

Thank you for all your comments. I have come to the conclusion that repair is probably the answer but for two items: the road noise and the noisy generator. I'm not sure how to handle these items or am I expecting to much?
Comments?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
Thank you for all your comments. I have come to the conclusion that repair is probably the answer but for two items: the road noise and the noisy generator. I'm not sure how to handle these items or am I expecting to much?
Comments?
Road Noise: Is this wind? Tires? It is amazing how much the tires can make a difference. If it is wind, you can look for places to put in rubber seals. May be a lot of trail and error to figure it out.

Generator: the noise may be a loose muffler? Also look at the internal noise baffeling, it may have erroded over a period of time. It is usually an insulation type material on the outer skin.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Continue to search forums like this for mods other people have made to address similar problems you are experiencing. Actually, I have seen others make their own insulated sound proofing around the genny.

Dave
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our '05 new and have replaced the slideout covers, have had to work on the jacks, will replace the water pump this month, and repaired then replaced the converter, replaced fire, CO, and propane detectors, replaced the rollers under the living room slideout, changed out the blower motor on one air conditioner, and a few more relatively minor items. Oh, and one major one, got rid of the NoCold and put in a residential refrigerator. But we do average about 6 months per year in it so even though I don't like it when things wearout I understand.

I looked into a new Dutch Star but just can't justify paying $100,000 more than we paid for our '05. There are newer features that I would like but don't actually need. There's just not another $100k worth of value there for me.

Next on the list is the Koni shocks for a better ride. I'm looking forward to this one.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

I just picked up our "New" 2000 Dutch Star 3883, Freightliner, 330 Cat. Towed our Bright red 03 Durango, Caboose, yesterday. This thing is so quiet & smooth it's like it has a giant electric motor back there. Maybe owning a 89 Southwind for the last 10 yrs, makes everything seem smooth & quiet by comparison.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Met a guy with a 10 year old Dutch Star, he had just paid big bucks for full body paint, new awning, roof job. I too thought that buying new would be a better way to spend his money. His response was they had thought about it and looked at new units. He said basically they had everything they wanted in the old rig. Over the years things had wore out, or broke. Each time he had fixed or repaired them right, taking no shortcuts. He said I know my rig, from stem to stern, I know what has been a problem, and I know how it has been repaired. Not the case for a new one. You will pay an additional$100K and wait for something to go wrong that will be a surprise and disappointment. If the engine is sound, chassis is good, keep driving, and update as you might want.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Met a guy with a 10 year old Dutch Star, he had just paid big bucks for full body paint, new awning, roof job. I too thought that buying new would be a better way to spend his money. His response was they had thought about it and looked at new units. He said basically they had everything they wanted in the old rig. Over the years things had wore out, or broke. Each time he had fixed or repaired them right, taking no shortcuts. He said I know my rig, from stem to stern, I know what has been a problem, and I know how it has been repaired. Not the case for a new one. You will pay an additional$100K and wait for something to go wrong that will be a surprise and disappointment. If the engine is sound, chassis is good, keep driving, and update as you might want.
Couldn't agree more once you have it to your liking its part of you, every thing as it gets old needs replacement parts and if you do yourself its self satisfaction.
The tires if not Michelins and with out proper tire pressures maybe giving you the noise or as said windows, doors, slides not locked can add to it also.
Some good tips can be found in the QT LINKS 1&2 and the new #3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you are hearing the tires you may have lost some insulation foam in the generator compartment, which may also explain why the generator sounds loud.
I'm sure you checked the tire pressure. I agree truck tires are loud, but if all your foam insulation is there, you shouldn't hear a thing. My 2001 diplomat is extremely quit. The noise is coming in from somewhere
Good luck
Rick .
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #13

Thank you all. Given the comments I think the answer is repair and then you know what you have. We don't put a lot of miles on the unit and that may be part of the problem. In any event puting the money into repairs looks like the best solution.
Thanks again.
Dave
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Davidej M,
With regard to the road noise, make sure the tire PSI is correct for the weight being carried. Too much PSI translates into noise. Also consider Koni shocks. They make a much smoother ride. That can mean a quieter ride.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, replace