Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #1

Replace wiper arms when replacing windshield?

I am at Nappanee now and just had my windshield replaced.

Tech recommends replacing wiper arms/wipers as it can be difficult to get the old ones lined up correctly. Insurance will not pay for this.

I am having trouble reconciling in my head why this would be an issue and how it would be any different if I had to replace a wiper arm independent of a windshield replacement.

Thoughts?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Wipers yes, wiper arms no. I mean they will possibly have them off anyway to ease windshield installation but they will remove them and reinstall with the windshield in place. The only thing you would be saving is the R/R labor to change them which is trivial. Perhaps the insurance won't pay that cost and he just wants to bill you for it by changing the arms because removing them makes it easier on him.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

Tech recommends replacing wiper arms/wipers as it can be difficult to get the old ones lined up correctly. Insurance will not pay for this.

I am having trouble reconciling in my head why this would be an issue and how it would be any different if I had to replace a wiper arm independent of a windshield replacement.

Thoughts?
Splines in the arms were made when initially installed, once removed they don’t line up well and new splines are made on re-install. This tends to make them loose on the stud and you have issues with them moving. I had them changed out at my expense, wasn’t happy insurance wouldn’t cover.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

I always go with the experts...
Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Tell your mechanic that unless there's an actual reason why the arms can't be reused, they must be reinstalled. Replacing them for the mechanic's convenience is beyond silly. If reinstalling a wiper arm is too complex or difficult for him, he needs to find another line of work.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
Splines in the arms were made when initially installed, once removed they don’t line up well and new splines are made on re-install. This tends to make them loose on the stud and you have issues with them moving. I had them changed out at my expense, wasn’t happy insurance wouldn’t cover.
This confirmed what I just learned. I was thinking it had something to do with the alignment of the wipers on the glass.

Just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay Newmar prices for the arms....
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

Bill is 100% correct. Replace the arms with new ones so that you don’t have any problems when you need them.

While at the Entegra factory I was having a problem with my passenger wiper. Tech fiddled with it and put it back on. A year or so later when I needed it, it stripped out and ended up against the side of my windshield, by the entry door, not moving. I replaced both arms.

I know it’s on an Entegra, but the enclosed instructions should work for your wiper arms....

Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New_Arm_Installation.pdf (347.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf Wiper_Arm_Assembly.PDF (502.4 KB, 40 views)
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
Bill is absolutely correct; have the wiper arms changed. Re-installing the old ones will just create a problem for you down the road...and probably sooner rather than later.

It is unfortunate that the insurance company won't pay for the wiper arm replacement, but the fact is that you will wind up paying for it one way or another. If you put the old ones back on, I'd give pretty good odds that they'll need to be replaced anyway after they are used a few times. Bite the bullet.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Cordially, I'll keep my opinion. The op didn't say that there was anything wrong with the arms, only that the mechanic complained of *possible* difficulty on reattachment. I didn't read where there is any *actual* problem. Yes, self-broaching splines are cheesy. No, their failure isn't a certainty. If he had showed that the arms were indeed unserviceable, that would be different.

$0.02
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Cordially, I'll keep my opinion. The op didn't say that there was anything wrong with the arms, only that the mechanic complained of *possible* difficulty on reattachment. I didn't read where there is any *actual* problem. Yes, self-broaching splines are cheesy. No, their failure isn't a certainty. If he had showed that the arms were indeed unserviceable, that would be different.

$0.02
Cordially, the "possible difficulty on reattachment" could easily have been the spline issue. The word "difficulty" can mean different things to different folks. I've had the wiper arm replacement "difficulty" and know all-too-well what a PITA it is to have the re-attached wiper arms fail...in a rainstorm.

I'll raise your "opinion" with my personal experience! I do, however, respect your decision to keep your opinion. To each their own.

TJ
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

What? wiper arms take 5 minutes to remove and install.
What is this "tech" talking about...
Replace the blades because they are a wear item.
The arms should be taken off by the Tech as part of the windshield replacement.
silly not to remove them and get them out of the way.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A couple of things....the few that say you don't need to change them, have older style arms where the splines are hardened. On the newer coaches, they used a soft material that creates a spline as you install it. Once removed, they can be reinstalled in a different position, which can ruin the spline and make the wipers slip/fail.

With that said, I believe that if you set the wipers back on in the same position, same spline position, why would they change or be damaged. The wiper may be out of alignment, but they're adjustable, via the arms. If you've ever removed the arms, they are very difficult to reset in any other position, than the original position.The only issue, they may charge more in labor to adjust than to put new ones on.

Lastly, if you change the arms, I would see if Newmar Service would write a short summary, even on the bill, that states why the arms are changed. Once you have this, pursue reimbursement with your insurance.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lastly, if you change the arms, I would see if Newmar Service would write a short summary, even on the bill, that states why the arms are changed. Once you have this, pursue reimbursement with your insurance.
Excellent suggestion! If Newmar will document the need for replacement, it would support the argument that the cost should be covered by insurance.

TJ
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

Thoughts?
100% yes replace the wiper arms. Anytime your arms come off the coach they will never lineup correctly and hold because they are self made grooves that are unique. I had two Newmar coaches and both had the wiper arms removed, then reinstalled with the right torque applied, and they both failed and did the big flop. No amount of tightening and retightening will help because once the groves are compromised when the arms are taken off they will not sync and stay.

I was giving this advice by a group of Newmar techs and I followed it and never had a problem afterwards. If you don't listen to the Newmar techs be prepared for a problem. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. I carry an extra set of arms and blades because this issue will take you off the road when it happens.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, wind, windshield