Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #1

Replace Xite Radio

The Xite System in my DSDP leave me less than excited! Has anyone replaced theirs? I know it is double din in size so there are a lot of choices. I would like to get some input from those that have replaced theirs and what they replaced it with.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Following
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

Replace Xite Radio

I opted to not get the xite so I cannot add a good comparison. But I will let you know I spent a good amount of time weighing the xite option and playing around with it.

In the end, I just got the factory Sony newmar installs. As soon as I got the coach home I already had a Kenwood dnx994s ready to install. It is perfect for what I need it for. It has built in Garmin nav (not RV/truck specific so no low overpass or weight restriction warnings) but I use a Garmin 760lmt for that.

The key feature I like it for is I can plug my iPhone in and use the Kenwood s built in Apple CarPlay for Waze, google maps, pandora, Spotify etc... sound is better too and I can customize the settings a lot better. I also added a Kenwood dashcam that works great and I can add an additional cam if and when I need.

There are lots of options for double din radio replacements. I have done well with Kenwood and pioneers in the past but YMMV as it’s like picking ford Chevy dodge etc.

I also replaced the electrical socket by the ac controls w a dual usb receptacle. It has dual female usb plugs in the back that plugs directly into the usb cables coming from the Kenwood unit. The bottom one is setup to connect my iPhone to CarPlay and the top on is just a charger. I had to enlarge the hole a little but not a big deal and it works great and looks factory.

Sorry for the dark pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9697.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	225801

Name:	IMG_9697.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	225801

Name:	IMG_9699.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	225803
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 on the Kenwood. We lived with the standard Sony radio but replaced it in less than a year. As stated lots of double DIN radios with built in Navi, but Kenwood is the only one with Garmin, which makes me feel better about updates. Good functionality beyond the Navi, and Apple Airplay works intuitively for when you have cellular service.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been a Pioneer fan for years. When I bought one years ago for my Diplomat, it came with a peanut shape remote that mounted in the curve of the steering wheel. I really liked the remote. Yo could adjust volume and repeat GPS direction, plus change stations. It's still available on some of their models.

I've only driven my new coach a couple of miles, but will be leaving on a trip this weekend and will see how the radio works. If it's a turkey.....it will be on the chopping block.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've been a Pioneer fan for years. When I bought one years ago for my Diplomat, it came with a peanut shape remote that mounted in the curve of the steering wheel. I really liked the remote. Yo could adjust volume and repeat GPS direction, plus change stations. It's still available on some of their models.

I've only driven my new coach a couple of miles, but will be leaving on a trip this weekend and will see how the radio works. If it's a turkey.....it will be on the chopping block.

Don it’s not terrible, just different then Garmin, requires patience to learn. The manual is helpful.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We were playing a book on the CD player. It worked fine for the first two disks. When we put the third one in it kept displaying a screen that said the" DVD player was disabled for our safety". Tried everything to get the CD to play and nothing worked. Next day put the same CD back in and it worked fine

Nav seems to work fine. We back it up with google maps on the phone just to keep it honest
Bojets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like there is a Kenwood model DNX571TR with Garmin Nav. And allows truck-specific restrictions when routing in the contiguous 48 states and Canada
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radio, replace