RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #1

Replacement for Smart Source AV200?

My 07 Essex has a 4 video input, 4 video output source selector. This allows me to select between any of 4 video inputs on any of up to 4 TVs. The unit is labeled Smart Source AV200 HD. It does NOT have or support HDMI inputs or outputs from what I can tell.

Is there a newer version of this video selector switch?

What do the new coaches come with that allows them to do this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Jager,
Your at a technology crossroad. HDMI is the way to go. Another leap in technology. I am going to assume your replacing you TV's tho some flavor of LED or LCD. What your pain your pocket can take. First you will need to install HDMI cables from you video distribution point. This seems to be the hardest part. There are post out there that ask how to run HDMI from the rear. Some suggest wireless HDMI and others use cat6 to HDMI. Once that is done. You get a 4x4 HDMI switch. 4 inputs and 4 outputs. You can use any combination. most rigs this days have a satellite dish, blueray DVD or some type of game box. You will need to plan it. Make a conceptual drawing.
Also audio systems can select HDMi inputs for the main TV. Make a plan and then go forward

-Brian

cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

Jager, as cowrv39 posts your rig, like mine, uses wiring technology not upgradable to those currently used. In my case running HDMI cable is a non starter, just too difficult to snake cable. In my case I am going to forgo adding hdmi matrix wiring for discreet components. Technology advances have made devices such as media players, sat tuners, etc small enough that I can easily add a bluray player to any monitor without much regard for the space it will require. Add to that wireless capability that will allow "casting" a signal from a pc, phone, tablet directly to a monitor enhances my ability to watch what I (DW) want anywhere I want.

Again like cowrv39 writes, you need a plan as to how you want to do the conversion just make sure you look at all the options.

Good luck with the project.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Steve / Brian,
I understand that I need to replace the cables from distribution point to each TV with HDMI. Got that. But lets say I am able to do that . . . what make / model is there that replaces the Smart Source AV200? I have tried to google various different things to try and find one to no avail. Do you have a suggested replacement for the video selection and distribution switch (AV 200) ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #5

Jager you would be looking for something like a 4x4 matrix switch (4 inputs 4 outputs). I have no recommendation but here is one http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/5704

Hope this helps
Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 AM   #6

Jager,
Sorry for the delay I looked in com-net and I think the matrix switch was made by key digital.com. It looks like it was replaced by another box in 2006. I checked the web page for the model number in the discontinued products but it's not there. I am wondering if this product was an OEM special. Here is the link. You will need to further research as I don't have any prictures of the product.

Key Digital® - Discontinued - Switchers

-Brian
Old 10-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #7

Jager,
Is this the same unit on ebay?

Key Digital KD MSW8X3 Flash Matrix Switcher No Remote | eBay
Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

Steve / Brian,
Thanks a bunch for the help. Steve the link you posted looks like exactly what I was looking for. For some reason I couldn't seem to find one. I googled about everything I could think of but only found 4 inputs with a single output. I was really looking for a true 4 input and 4 output HDMI switcher (selector). DO you know if this is what they are using on say a 2013 or newer Essex or King to select between different sources?

Brian,
I'm not looking to find another copy of my old 4 x 4 AV selector. I am looking to see what they are using in todays coaches to select between 4 HDMI sources on up to 4 different TVs. But I do really appreciate the help.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
DO you know if this is what they are using on say a 2013 or newer Essex or King to select between different sources?
Sorry Jager I do not know
Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #10

Jager, didn't know if you looked at any of the other offerings from monoprice. Here is a page http://www.monoprice.com/pages/hdmi_...FRApaQodPUoKjQ

Stevr

Tags
ace, replace, replacement