Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #1

Hi ALL. I have recently purchased a 98' MADP on a Spartan chassis with Michelin XZA1 275/70 R22.5 LRH's. I think these are the original tires and they are showing some sidewall cracking. I definitely want to replace them. I would like to go bigger if possible to get the smoothest ride possible. Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #2

Hi ALL. I have recently purchased a 98' MADP on a Spartan chassis with Michelin XZA1 275/70 R22.5 LRH's. I think these are the original tires and they are showing some sidewall cracking. I definitely want to replace them. I would like to go bigger if possible to get the smoothest ride possible. Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #3

I just switched from XZA1 275/70R22.5s to XZA3 275/80R22.5s. on my 2004 DSDP. Both size tires are the same width, so they will use the same width wheels and the spacing between the rear duals will remain the same. The 80s are 2" taller so you will have 1" less clearance at the inside top of the wheel wells.
You will also need to check to see if the taller tires will clear your jacks, when you do a full lock to lock steering. If your 70s have more than an inch clearance from the jacks at full steering turn and there is more than an inch clearance to the top of the wheel wells when your air bags are deflated, you should be okay. I didn't notice any difference in steering or handling, but now I can run less air pressure in the 80s for a less harsh ride on bad road surfaces.
With the new tires I have to factor in a 5% error in the speedometer and odometer, since I am not going to have it re calibrated.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I changed the front tires to Michelin XZE2+. I have the same size as your tires (275X70X22.5). The tires are very smooth, handling is excellent and after 25K miles I measure almost no wear. I would buy these tires again and in the same size.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:32 AM   #5

It is very easy to tell when your tires were made if you check the DOT code on the sidewall. If it was made prior to 2000 it will have 3 numbers giving the week and year of mfg. A 227 cod would indicate the 22nd. week of 1997 or 1987 or? Since 2000 they have had 4 numbers to give a better indication of the year. You could have the second set already. Mine has 2207 and 2307 on them since mine were that badly cracked in 5 years. The tire code is only on one side of the sidewall.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply's. I will be looking into new tires this week. If anybody knows of a good tire shop here in the Phoenix, AZ metro area, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris