RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacing Air Dryer Cartridge

I'm doing routine maintenance, today, and decided I should know more about changing the Air Dryer Cart. The spin on cart says it is a Wabco 4324202202 cart and when looking that up it also says a Wabco 4324100202 will fit. Spartan calls for a 950011k cart, but I don't know who makes that one.

What are the procedures for changing the cart? Do I have to empty the air tanks before spinning this off? If so, how, as I don't see any lanyards to pull, like some others have talked about. Any info would be appreciated...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

The 3 air tank lanyards are up front on either side of the frame behind the front tires. You will have to turn the front wheels as sharp as they will go to see and reach the small cable loops sticking out through the frame rails. These should be bled every 2 months or 2,000 miles.

The Wabco desiccant air line filter is on the passenger side rear near your fuel/water filter. No you don't have to bleed the air pressure to change it. I believe the service interval is 3 years in normal weather conditions. I used a heavy duty filter clamp wrench with cheater on handle to loosen it- it was really on super tight. Be sure to wipe off the canister mounting flange with a clean cloth to remove any dirt particles or residue. Took me about 20 minutes to change it out. The filters aren't cheap- bought mine at a rally through Spartan.

Happy Trails

Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info... I found the air canister while changing my oil. I ordered 2 new ones and will replace it when it comes in.

Thanks for the info on the lanyards. I looked all over this coach and probably would never have found them. I'll take another look later...

Rick
Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RJOL"......Make sure you wash the old canister and mount thoroughly, dry and then remove the canister. This way you don't introduce any dirt. You may need a strap to spin it off. Lastly, lightly lube the o-ring, but don't get any lube inside the cartridge. Spin it on and firmly hand tighten.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"RJOL"......Make sure you wash the old canister and mount thoroughly, dry and then remove the canister. This way you don't introduce any dirt. You may need a strap to spin it off. Lastly, lightly lube the o-ring, but don't get any lube inside the cartridge. Spin it on and firmly hand tighten.

Thanks, Don... I'll follow your advice on this... I appreciate the help and others helping with info on the lanyards. I just could not find these. I've got a real slow leak in the #2 (front system) air. It leaks down to below 65psi overnight. I'd like to cycle the lanyards and see if that solves it. If not, and it becomes worse, I will have to take it in for maintenance.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Get some soapy water in a spray bottle and check your airlines when you do the cartridge exchange. Don't forget the lines to the parking brake and gauges.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

I tried to remove my cartridge with a strap wrench and breaker bar and it wouldnít budge. Drained the system using the lanyards and then it came off super easy.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I tried to remove my cartridge with a strap wrench and breaker bar and it wouldnít budge. Drained the system using the lanyards and then it came off super easy.

Just a concern, I can reach in on air and pull lanyards with my boat buoy grasper. If I dump the air via HWH dump air, then I canít reach lanyards. I see where someone said to turn tires and pull lanyards. 2 things on this if I turn all the way to right and release wheel it is going to self center, also even if you had someone in MH holding wheel would there not be a concern of air dumping and tire crashing into fiberglass?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #9

I used the awning hook from the manual awnings over some of the smaller windows. I was able to reach in and hook the lanyards one at a time with the wheels in the straight forward position.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I used the awning hook from the manual awnings over some of the smaller windows. I was able to reach in and hook the lanyards one at a time with the wheels in the straight forward position.
Looked, today, but didn't see... The problem is that to get around the tire I'd have to start the coach and "air up." Before doing that, I have always made sure the slides are "IN." Then I might be able to turn the wheel and see these mysterious lanyards. How many are there, and are they on both frame rails? How do you know which one to pull?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #11

There are three and on my Spartan Chassis they are located on the outside passenger side frame rail near the front tire. They are color coded and there is a procedure on which order to pull while checking your dash air gauges to ensure your tank valves are working properly. If you call Spartan or google air tank lanyard procedure you will get the procedure. I am sure other members of this forum will chime in and post the procedure.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Here are some details on the air system from my Spartan Academy manual -

1. Recommended change interval for the Waco System Saver 1200 model is every two years.

2. The three lanyards are color coded silver, green, and red.

3. Sometimes dirt, grease, or residue from undercoating may make it difficult to see the colors on the lanyards. At the Spartan Academy, they distribute color coded carbiners that you can snap into the rings. This makes it easy to identify the colors and much easier to snag them with an awning hook.

4. The silver lanyard is for the wet tank. The green lanyard is for the primary tank system that services the rear axle and tag and the rear suspension system. The red lanyard is for the secondary tank system that services the front axle brakes and suspension system. They should be pulled in that order - silver, green, red.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
1. The air tanks must be drained fully or you are not going to get the canister off.
2. Determine the proper order for the lanyards to be pulled (tank drained).
3. Get some plastic wire ties.
4. Put one wire tie on the lanyard to be pulled first, two on the second and three on the third. This way you'll never need to look it up again.
5. The canister is very difficult to remove. I had to get my SIL to come over and get it off. And that was using a cheater bar.
6. For me, every three years is what I do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info... I will be looking at all of this, soon, and report back if there are problems or questions...

Tags
air