Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

Replacing an HWH RAP0642 Jack Solenoid

My NA has had a small hydraulic leak from the area of the HWH hydraulic manifold since delivery. Originally I thought the leak was from over filling the tank but this was not the case. Solenoid only leaks when retracting the jacks. The leaky solenoid is on the far left in the image below. It controls the right rear jack. Level system works fine and holds pressure but over time I see drops of hydraulic fluid on the ground after operation the system.

Contacted Newmar and HWH. Newmar agreed to reimburse me if I bought a new solenoid and return the leaky one.

Got the new solenoid today. Documentation says these solenoids are finger tight and to just screw them out and put the new one in with 4 turns. No way that is the case. My old solenoid is in there to stay.

Has anyone found a way to remove these solenoids? Very close quarters. Very hard to get any kind of tool on these solenoids.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A small strap wrench could be used.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
A small strap wrench could be used.
Hard to see in the image but there is just no room to get a wrench around that 2 1/4" cylinder.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
My NA has had a small hydraulic leak from the area of the HWH hydraulic manifold since delivery. Originally I thought the leak was from over filling the tank but this was not the case. Solenoid only leaks when retracting the jacks. The leaky solenoid is on the far left in the image below. It controls the right rear jack. Level system works fine and holds pressure but over time I see drops of hydraulic fluid on the ground after operation the system.

Contacted Newmar and HWH. Newmar agreed to reimburse me if I bought a new solenoid and return the leaky one.

Got the new solenoid today. Documentation says these solenoids are finger tight and to just screw them out and put the new one in with 4 turns. No way that is the case. My old solenoid is in there to stay.

Has anyone found a way to remove these solenoids? Very close quarters. Very hard to get any kind of tool on these solenoids.

Describe or post pic of what Newmar sent you please. Dosent look like it is too cramped from pic. Did you call Newmar back and ask them about the tightness? They seem pretty easy to talk to.
If the whole solenoid comes out try using a strip of sandpaper to gain some traction under your fingers or a very small pair of plyers.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Describe or post pic of what Newmar sent you please. Dosent look like it is too cramped from pic. Did you call Newmar back and ask them about the tightness? They seem pretty easy to talk to.
If the whole solenoid comes out try using a strip of sandpaper to gain some traction under your fingers or a very small pair of plyers.
Here are the installation documentation sent to me by HWH.

Yes, I talked to both HWH and Newmar on the line at the same time. They said the four solenoids are screwed in "finger tight". The problem is they are not.

Before using some brute force on the old solenoid I was just checking to see if anyone had some previous experience.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have changed solenoids on my HWH system, and I have used a slip joint pliers. I have never seen a solenoid that was only finger tight.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

Maybe a small band wrench would do the job. You can get them at just about any auto parts store. May just turn it a little at a time, but will get it done.
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Maybe a small band wrench would do the job. You can get them at just about any auto parts store. May just turn it a little at a time, but will get it done.
Good idea. I have been looking for one. So far have not found one that will tighten around a 2 1/4" case.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

I uninstalled mine with some big tongue and grove pliers. Just takes a little grip to break them loose.

If you've ever changed your own oil and changed the oil filter the instructions were to screw it on hand tight. When it was time to drain and refill, there is no way I can unscrew the filter by hand - it takes a tool of some type. Seals swell.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I uninstalled mine with some big tongue and grove pliers. Just takes a little grip to break them loose.
Thanks. Next step. Hoping to avoid damaging and keeping the old solenoid as a spare. I works, just has a small low pressure leak.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post

I had mine out this weekend. This is the tool I used. A ratchet will fit into the metal part to provide leverage,

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1138...r-strap-wrench
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I had mine out this weekend. This is the tool I used. A ratchet will fit into the metal part to provide leverage,

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1138...r-strap-wrench
Ok, got the tool and confirmed it will work.

Been monitoring the amount of hydraulic fluid leakage from the end of the solenoid. Just a few drops with every cycle. Decided to use an absorbent pad for now and keep the new solenoid as a spare. Leaky solenoid works, so no sense pulling unless the leak grows.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where is it leaking up near the threads?
Here is a tool someone made up for his removal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4256867]Where is it leaking up near the threads?
Here is [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/solenoid-tool-100932.html#post936954
a tool[/URL][/B] someone made up for his removal.
No. Low pressure leak coming from the plastic fitting at the top. Did not want to take the chance of pulling the valve only to find the piston head stuck. HWH warned me about this. Will wait for a more serious failure.

Tags
hwh, solenoid