RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Replacing captain chairs. Have you?

After our 7000 mi trip this summer we have concluded our chairs do not have the support we would like for long days. Have you changed these, and if so with what and what were your results?

Here is our chair. It also has a 3-4 degree lean to the right, but with the minimal support, once your in it, you really donít feel it that much. After looking at the Flexsteel and a few other ,manufacturers, we believe there are better options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	258308

Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a place in Elkhart IN that sells new chairs, not sure of the quality, and there is a huge salvage yard in KY that has hundreds or more of coaches that were totaled. There was a recent post about this place and several were very pleased with their purchases.

Here is the salvage yard
https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/

Here is the place in Elkhart
https://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

I am doing my research. I hate the captain chair, and my wife is not a big fan either. Our Tundra, my Echo - I can drive for hours without a problem. I used to drive my Echo 799 miles in a day, with only bathroom and fuel stops. Forty minutes in our RV and I am leaning forward and stretching in place.

My plan is to get smaller and more comfortable seats, like those in a car or small truck. I can fabricate mounts for the electric bases we have. I am still working out how to add a shoulder belt if the seats I choose do not have integral belts.

A place near us sells new vinyl take outs for $100 a pair, and leather for $150-200 a pair.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think I would take it to an upholstery shop and see if they can change the padding. On my 2019, if you lower the seat all the way down, you can feel the frame. For my butt, they bolstered the sides too high and they pinch me. I need more material in the center. My 2014 DS had perfect seats for me.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Following

More importantly, is there a used market for the chairs we don't like?
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

We are still interested in hearing from other coach owners on the comfort of their seats. The Dutch Star seats are FlexSteel Model 432 BULE.

We are thinking about waiting until after the TAMPA show, where we can try out alot of different designs and styles, and then make the decision.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I agree with you about the support in the front seats of most RVs.
My flexsteel seats in my 2019 Baystar have no lumbar support.
I have tried a lumbar support for a office chair with mixed results.
It solves the lumbar issue but pushes me forward on the seat bottom.

Perhaps this is because they are really dual purpose? Driving and swivel around
For lounging?
Bstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #8

Today I bought some new car seats, removed by a place that does handicap conversions. Two seats - $200. They are tan fabric to match our existing tan interior trim. They had some really nice black leather for $250, but the tan will look really nice. Gray fabric $100 a pair.

Due to some measuring and some luck, they will be an easy install. The mounting rails of the electric seat pedestal are just the right width to fit inside the rails of the seat, so they can be easily welded or bolted together. I will modify the bracket that holds the electric controls, but that will be easy bending and cutting thin metal.

The new seats do not have skirts, so the electric mechanism will show. Some people might not like this. I think it will make my vacuuming chore easier.

All electric functions will still be present. The seat comes with fold forward and fold back. One arm rest, which is typical for car seats. I hate them anyway. I have long arms, so every bump transmits through my elbow into my shoulder joint. No integral lap belts. I have measured, and the belt in the old seat is long enough to mount to the wall - I can't yet predict what that will LOOK like.

A couple of hours each for installation, $200 for seats, maybe $50 for hardware. It won't be as slick as new captains chairs, but they will be more comfortable for me and over $1000 cheaper.

Matt B
Old 08-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #9

Replacement seat

I visited the Oklahoma City Freightliner parts department and they had several seats on display. Don't know for sure if they are direct bolt in replacements. Some were air assisted. Since I try not to drive more than 4 hours a day, I have resisted as the Flexsteel seat is OK for our short drives. We take 3 days for a nine hour drive.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #10

We are now seriously considering having a local upholstery shop add additional support to our existing chairs since our material is in relatively good condition

Have others taken this route? And if so, are you happy with the results?
Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
We are now seriously considering having a local upholstery shop add additional support to our existing chairs since our material is in relatively good condition

Yes, did it on an older Winnebago. Added 1/2 foam to the existing seat bottom. Made a world of difference, for $50.
May try i5 on my Kountry Star soon. The but cushion feels flat afte 3-4 hours driving.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post

Our front seats looked the same as yours, except for the color. Due to some material flaking that started a couple months ago on the driver's seat Newmar replaced both seats last week.

The new seats look the same but they are not. We noticed they are much firmer with more padding. In addition, the material is a much heavier grade.

Carefully inspect around your seat cushion bottom and the ends of your driver's arm rests to see if there is any evidence of material flaking starting. Two months ago ours was very minor and we made the appointment at Nappanee. By the time last week rolled around and we got there the flaking was much worse and very noticeable.

Could be a way to get some defective seats replaced for free.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
A couple of thoughts: I noticed in all military aircraft have, nice sheepskin covered seats. I was thinking about giving those a try. I would buy the higher end versions. Those guys spend mega hours seated, must be a good reason for them to have them.
Second...Bed Bath and Beyond carries a different style of cushion. Itís kinda expensive wonder if others had experience with them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	263972
Old 10-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #14

I have taken out the copilot chair and delivered it to the upholstery shop. I am only going to replace the foam in the seat and not the back. I expect the seat to be as firm as my other vehicles when complete, where it is now more cushiony than my sofa and recliners.

I will take the drivers seat to him next week.

Tags
air