Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Replacing Carpet

2000 DSDP. I want to replace my carpet ( all except the bedroom ) and it looks like newmar installs the carpet then they install cabinets right on top of the carpet. Because the desk/ entertainment center cabinets are all tied together and floor to ceiling I dont know how to replace it unless i just cut out old carpet at the cabinet base and leave the carpet underneath. I worry about how to secure the new carpet and be able to pull or kick it tight and not have it come up later, I am trying to avoid tac strips. see the attached picture of the desk area. Anyone attempted this without dismantleing the desk/cabinets?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv 001.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	6914  
tommildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #2

glue it down
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

We replaced the carpet in our MH this year. We cut the old out with a razor knife. Instead of tack strips, on all the edges we just folded over 1" and stapled it down. Purchased Stainmaster carpet at Lowes. The doghouse was the hardest part. I suggest saving the old pieces from the doghouse and using them as templates for new carpet.

We removed the dinette and couch and replaced with 2 recliners.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of the carpet will be stapled down. Did you pull a draw out to see if the carpet is inside the bottom of cabinet? It maybe just stapled close to cabinet and wall.
Cutting with a blade around cabinet to free up rug use a thin metal large square or metal ruler so you do not damage cabinet base.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Installing the carpet, then installing the cabinets is pretty much industry standard. I did go with tack strips on the replacement of the carpet in my rig, it took quite a while to find an installer that would even attempt it. He cut out all of the old carpet, leaving the original carpet in the closets and cabinets. He then installed tack strips and installed the carpet conventionally. The reason I went with tack strips is because when this carpet is replaced again, it will be a much easier install, and it will be easier to have an installer put in the replacement when he knows he will not be dealing with staples in the carpet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Although I replaced my main carpet areas with Allure laminate flooring, I replaced the carpet on the slides and stair/engine cover in the rear in front of the closet myself. I used a combination of staples, carpet tacks, glue and double backed carpet tape.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Rug replacement and couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
We replaced the carpet in our MH this year. We cut the old out with a razor knife. Instead of tack strips, on all the edges we just folded over 1" and stapled it down. Purchased Stainmaster carpet at Lowes. The doghouse was the hardest part. I suggest saving the old pieces from the doghouse and using them as templates for new carpet.

We removed the dinette and couch and replaced with 2 recliners.
HI, I would like to do the same thing in my rig just don't know how to move the couch it must be bolted to the floor somehow. How did you get your couch removed and what problems did you have doing it?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
HI, I would like to do the same thing in my rig just don't know how to move the couch it must be bolted to the floor somehow. How did you get your couch removed and what problems did you have doing it?
The couch had four bolts that extended into the compartments below. I removed the bolts and sprayed foam in the holes.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #9

Before and after

Here are some photos, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	7259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7260  

Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice job ! I never thought of having the recliners facing foreword ! Once I saw yours it made sense since the TV is foreword. Do you have some sort of tables for working on your computer and or eating?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #11

It's just my wife and I so we use TV trays to eat on and I have the laptop in front of the passenger seat. I work full time so we only go with a local RV club once a month. This setup is way more comfortable and actually more room. The driver and passenger seats swivel 180 degrees when we have company.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
It's just my wife and I so we use TV trays to eat on and I have the laptop in front of the passenger seat. I work full time so we only go with a local RV club once a month. This setup is way more comfortable and actually more room. The driver and passenger seats swivel 180 degrees when we have company.
Did you have to do anything special to get the recliners into the rig ? The doors on the rigs are not very wide or tall as the bump on my head tells me.

Good looking job it gives me some ideas for my rig..... Thank You
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
any furniture you can turn on its side and snake them in
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
Did you have to do anything special to get the recliners into the rig ? The doors on the rigs are not very wide or tall as the bump on my head tells me.
Most recliners' backs will detach, these are Lane's and they have channels that lock and unlock to remove the backs. Just pull the levers up and remove the backs.