Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Cool Replacing Dometic Heatpump

I have a 2001 Dutch Star DP. I have read a couple of older threads that were very helpful, but I need a bit of reassurance before I embark on this path. First, I am a decent diy mechanic and handy man, but we just purchased our first rig this size a few weeks ago. So, I have skills, but need knowledge. This is a great place for that!

We currently have the original Dometic 59136.521 Heat Pumps that came with our unit 16 years ago and has been discontinued. The rear unit is blowing only warm air and went to that state quite suddenly 2 weeks ago. It was doing great up until that time. Did all the cleaning of coils, condenser, and vent filters to no avail. Voltage appears to check out fine as well. So, I am resigned to replacing it.

As I understand it, if I replace just the rear unit, I will need the Penguin 651816 model, a gasket kit, and an adapter board/kit to work with my older 5 button thermostat. My front unit would still work as usual. Am I missing anything?

Also, should I decide to go ahead and replace both units, would it be best to just upgrade the thermostat as well?
LewTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
You have things pretty well under control and with the 5 button control you only need to place the control in old AC into the new AC, the conversion from 4 button to 5 button has all ready been done which was expensive.
In QT's # 3 there is this thread in PROBLEM SOLVERS that may help and in QT's 1 & 2 all AC info and control diagrams are located.
MOUNTING INFO
As you can see all the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar and this link will get you more TSB's, recalls, brochure, owners guides and other info.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You might consider calling Dometic directly at (800) 544-4881. That's what I did two days ago to get the part numbers to convert my '98 Dutch Star DP to dual Blizzard NXT 15k heat pump and CCC II thermostat. I'm sure they can help you with the numbers you need.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Have you checked the reversing valve solenoid coil, if it works in heat pump mode, or heats in air conditioner mode this is a common problem. The part cost about $35 and is easy to change, just 2 quick connect wires, although you must get up on the roof and pull the top cover off to change it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

We have a 94 Essex with 5 button controller and have more then once gone to reset on controller to put A/C and heat pumps working again. Here is what we do and that is turn the unit on and hold both the up and down temp buttons until unit displays ff on the screen. Try it and see if that works for you. Have a friend with 07 DS who has ben having real issues with A/C system and it has been Dometic give his service center. MAke sure you are getting all the info. you need.
Remember you need to connected to shore power or gen. on.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Have you checked the reversing valve solenoid coil, if it works in heat pump mode, or heats in air conditioner mode this is a common problem. The part cost about $35 and is easy to change, just 2 quick connect wires, although you must get up on the roof and pull the top cover off to change it.
2X. A complete diagnostic manual for Duo Therm CCC , is in the " Files " drop box under " heating and A/C " and as Isaac-1 says the reversing solenoid is a common fault and easy repair.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Good call! Now I must decide whether to send back the new units. Any suggestions, guys?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #8

Right part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewTippett View Post
Good call! Now I must decide whether to send back the new units. Any suggestions, guys?
Is this the right part?

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=282453331359&&&chn=ps
Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #9

I think it looks right, but you should probably check your specific unit.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

Replacement decision

Ok, it turns out that my current problem is simply a reversing switch on my heat pump. My new units will be arriving early next week. They shipped already. Couple of hundred bucks to send back. My units are 17 years old. I feel like I am on borrowed time. Should I still go ahead with the replacement?
Old 05-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #11

Personally I would not replace the heat pump until it fails, you may get another 3-4 years out of it. Then when it goes out switch it out for the one you have on hand, either that or sell the new one on ebay or craigslist if shipping back costs too much.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Ok, it turns out that my current problem is simply a reversing switch on my heat pump. My new units will be arriving early next week. They shipped already. Couple of hundred bucks to send back. My units are 17 years old. I feel like I am on borrowed time. Should I still go ahead with the replacement?
If you decide to keep the units, you should install it. Keep in mind that the 2 years warranty time clock is ticking and you will want to know if the units are good, bad or indifferent. The newest model Dometic units have a new style vertical mount LG compressor and the longevity is open for debate and I've had more than a few replaced under warranty.

For anyone buying new AC units, I highly recommend the extended 5 year warranty for about $170. Well worth it and can be purchased only when new.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:01 AM   #13

More testing

Quote:
Well, amateur that I am, I did more testing yesterday and there is no cold air coming out on either heat pump or cool setting. It was a cool night on my first test and I think that fooled me. Anyway, I am back in replacement mode.

Next question. Should I go ahead and replace the capacitor with a hard start capacitor?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #14

Question Wiring help on new Penguin Heat Pumps

OK, I am in the middle of the replacement of my old Dometic Heatpumps and I believe I have the venting conversion in hand, however, the wiring has me a bit confused. It was not a one for one swap out.

First, the power and thermostat connections for the new units are accessible through the return air unit vent. No box on the front for housing the connections. However, the power connection is made inside a one gang metal box that is currently just loose inside the unit. I cannot believe it is supposed to remain unsecured after the power connections are made? (BTW, absolutely no documentation in the box).

Second, more control wires in the front unit than in the back. One RJ11 wire and one other small wire for the rear. Two RJ11 and 4 other wires for the front unit. Anyone have a handy wiring diagram for which wires go where on the new units?

Tags
dometic, heat