Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Send a message via Skype™ to eplex-dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
eplex-dealer

I just want to confirm proper terminology for those that continue to talk e-plex...

??? Am I correct in saying - ???

The "programming software" from/for e-plex 1) is called e-Logic and 2) was (is still?) freely available on the net (from the former ED&D site) but is not available as readily now.

It seems there are 2 versions of e-Logic out there: the older Elogic v196.3266 and Elogic v198.3276 which seems to be the latest and greatest...

e-Logic also requires what appears to be a special serial cable that plugs directly into the front port of the e-plex "clock" (as Nemwar calls it) and then into a laptop serial port.

The so called proprietary "system source code" is the .ELC file loaded by the e-Logic program and contains all the detailed programming (e.g. the "pulse count" to "display value" lookup tables and the other forms of "logic programming" - the "if this then switch that" logic) used by Newmar for each module address/function. It is this .ELC file that is edited by e-Logic which then loads into the e-Plex clock module via the serial cable. This .ELC file has not been readily available from Newmar.

??? Is the above terminology correct ?????
Great Questions:
1) ELogic: Elogic is the “programming software” for the E-Plex system. It is the software needed to open an “.elc” file, like Word is needed to open a .doc file. Elogic is not only the software in which the customs solutions are created, but it is also the tool by which a user “loads” a solution into EPlex components (modules). Elogic also has a significant number of diagnostic tools.
2) The latest version of Elogic is V1.10.0 Build 3288. It was released about 1 month ago and is example of the continued development and support of the E-Plex product line. [Moderator Edit]
If there is interest by the community to have some example “.elc” files and/or some tutorial information please let us know and we will try to install some on our website.
3) “.elc” files: These files are the proprietary “system source code”. These files are developed by the vehicle/vessel OEM and are under their engineering control. These files contain all of the detail for the system as it is configured on the vehicle. Which load is connected to which output. The detail about this switch turns on “x” light. The calibration of tank sensors and the graphics and buttons on LCD touch screens are all included in this “.elc” file.
As I have said in other posts, any minor change to this “.elc” file can have significant bearing on the operation of the E-Plex system. Any modifications to these files should be preceded by an engineering process which understands the change to be made and the effects to be accomplished. Additionally a testing scheme is necessary in order to verify the change as well as testing the rest of the E-Plex system so that a change “here” does not impact function “there”. Lastly, version control and documentation of changes needs to be maintained.
4) Clock: “the clock” The clock is the Main CPU (the main brain) of the E-Plex system. It is called a “clock” because of the type of processing it does and the manner in which it talks to the other E-Plex modules. My opinion… it is unfortunate that it didn’t get a different name at the start.
While doing all of the processing for the system it also holds of the “.elc” information, but not in a visual format like you would see in Elogic. The “compiled” version of the information in the clock is not reversible to the visual format. Therefore, anyone wishing to work on a given E-Plex system must have the original “.elc” file.
The clock has the ability to program a replacement E-Plex component in most cases. Devices such as a tank sensor (with a calibration in it) or a LCD display (with graphics in it) need to be connected to a “clock” and a PC with the Elogic software (and “.elc” file) to be programmed with these additional pieces of information.
On another front, I consider the following to be some great news!
I spoke with Mr. Tony Hermann at Newmar yesterday. They are keen to have every Newmar customer be pleased with their vehicle and are working hard to make that happen. We have begun discussions about the E-Plex systems and how we can assist Newmar in working with E-Plex systems now and in the future. I expect these discussions to continue and expect that we can be successful in having the E-Plex systems supported through Newmar for a long time. E-Plex Ltd and its North American system integrators will do what we can to facilitate this process
Have a great day. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jim Kelly
eplex-dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
If there is interest by the community to have some example “.elc” files and/or some tutorial information please let us know and we will try to install some on our website.
Heck, yes. I admit that there's only a few of us on this board that are really interesting in that level of detail, so I wouldn't spend a lot of effort on it, but I sure would like to know more about how this stuff works.

Quote:
I spoke with Mr. Tony Hermann at Newmar yesterday. They are keen to have every Newmar customer be pleased with their vehicle and are working hard to make that happen. We have begun discussions about the E-Plex systems and how we can assist Newmar in working with E-Plex systems now and in the future. I expect these discussions to continue and expect that we can be successful in having the E-Plex systems supported through Newmar for a long time. E-Plex Ltd and its North American system integrators will do what we can to facilitate this process
That's also great to hear.

joe
Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
If anyone's interested in a copy of the E-Plex software that Jim mentions above, it's available here.

joe
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #18

I want to again thank eplex-dealer (Jim Kelly) for his participation and for providing some first hand info about what is happening with e-Plex - THANKS!!!!!

Basically our entire rig is controlled by e-Plex so knowing that some level of continued availability of parts/service/knowledge does have a high level of importance! We certainly don't want to have to take the route of replacing each e-Plex controlled device and swap it using a hodgepodge of other non-integrated controllers.

If Mr. Kelly or Newmar needs any owner participation - however either may define this - I certainly am available and I visit Nappanee fairly often just to say hi to the folks up there. I suspect others will pitch their names in as well...

FWIW - The "clock" (the big daddy brains of the entire system) though strangely named probably got that rap because certain e-Plex modules (like tank level sensors) send "pulses" for various readings and the "clock" times/counts these pulses then looks in a look-up table to see what value the e-Plex should display for the given pulse count. Kind of like a clock. Of course, the "clock" does a whole lot more in terms of logic and circuit mapping.

Hence the e-Plex uses these pulses as it's ADC (analog to digital converter) by converting analog signals (like the depth pressure of the water on a tank level sensor) into a digital signal that can be further acted on digitally by the rest of the e-Plex system.

I don't know about you guys, but I am feeling a whole lot better about my e-Plex!

Now, if we can work with everyone on the current parts pricing issue....
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #19

If you haven't seen the e-Plex training board that Nevin designed and built to provide the Newmar techs with detailed hands-on training here's a pic of the board and the following pdf file has more detailed pics. Newmar took e-Plex very seriously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02753.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	18855  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eplex newmar training board.pdf (2.64 MB, 278 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
FWIW - The "clock" (the big daddy brains of the entire system) though strangely named probably got that rap because certain e-Plex modules (like tank level sensors) send "pulses" for various readings and the "clock" times/counts these pulses then looks in a look-up table to see what value the e-Plex should display for the given pulse count. Kind of like a clock. Of course, the "clock" does a whole lot more in terms of logic and circuit mapping.

Hence the e-Plex uses these pulses as it's ADC (analog to digital converter) by converting analog signals (like the depth pressure of the water on a tank level sensor) into a digital signal that can be further acted on digitally by the rest of the e-Plex system.
ottffss - Thanks for the kind words

I would like to correct some information from your comments above.

I will try not to be overly technical or boring...

1) The Main CPU in E-Plex is refered to as a "clock" because of the way it talks to all the modules. The "clock" works differently than you have suggested with the reading of pulses from a tank sender. I will try to explain both situations.

First, the E-Plex clock will generally communicate with every module in its system roughly 5-10 times a second. This is definitely fast enough to control lighting, and slide outs, but would not be fast enough to say control a throttle or anti-lock brakes.

So the "clock" sends a message to the first module and expects an answer back at a very specific "time". If a return message does not come back from the module at the correct time then the clock reports a "data error". The "clock" goes round robin through all the modules in the list sending and receiving data and then acts on that information and starts the loop again. Hence the concept of a "clock". The data is gated in and out at specific time intervals.

2) Modules and what they do:

Each module has its own microprocessor (little computer). One part of the microprocessor does the functional work of the module. In the case of a tank sensor there is AtoD circuit which converts the analog value (voltage) from the pressure sensor in the tank into a digital number. There is a calibration table that is programmed into the tank sensor which the microprocessor uses to convert a voltage reading to a # of gallons.

In other modules like a 325QMM or 366HMM (delivering DC power to a load) the microprocessor turns a load on or off based on the request sent and then it monitors the output current to make sure it is within spec per the breaker setting.

Each module has its own purposes.

The other job of the microprocessor is to receive communication from the "clock" and report back in the appropriate time frame. In the example of the tank sensor its communication is really just reporting the gallons (or liters or the calibrated value) in a 16 bit #.

In the case of a 366HMM it needs to accept requests to turn a load on or off or dim up /dim down. And also report back the status of the output, the possibility of a fault (over current), and also potentially report actual real time current consumption.

3) Modules and their addresses:

Within an E-Plex system a module has an address. A tank sensor may have the address 60. This address is just like your home address. If someone wants to send you a letter they direct it to your address. In E-Plex when it is time for the "clock" to send a message to that tank sensor it sends the message to address 60.

Modules get their addresses when the ".elc" file is first created. The software developer starts by dropping all of the modules he/she needs into the Elogic ".elc" file. Then at some point he/she says, "Give all these modules an address" and Elogic assigns them.

The numbers are not random. A module takes a certain amount of memory space in order to communicate its information back to the "clock". Using the tank sensor example again we have said that this module sends back a gallon reading in the form of a 16 bit #. Thus the tank sensor takes up 16 bits of memory from the "clock".

So if the Elogic software is assigning address #'s and it comes to a tank sensor in the design and 59 bits of memory have been already assigned then that tank sensor becomes address 60. That tank sensor will use 16 bits and thus the next module to be found and addressed will be at 76 and so on.

Hopefully you find this information helpful.

Jim Kelly
Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplex-dealer View Post
Hopefully you find this information helpful.
You bet I did!
Thanks for the clarification, correction and operational details!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #22

After reading this thread, you have no idea how much I love my 12 volt wires - one positive; one negative and a multimeter for diagnosis. Someone educate me on all this E-plex / Silverleaf / Crestron stuff -- where are the advantages? Why stick your soft parts in this "bear trap"?? I am old fashioned enough to like turning on the lights without needing a degree in computer programming.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tend to agree Doug simpler is my way also, but than if you are of the engineering type you may get board without the challenge of E-Plex problems.
Newmar gives everyone happiness in their high line models.
I feel sorry though for some people who do not realize what they may get into when they are unaware of what a challenge they may have if going into the unknown.
Its good we have the experts on forum, if the people ask before venturing into the unknown, and we know where that can lead if they didn't ask.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougburi View Post
After reading this thread, you have no idea how much I love my 12 volt wires - one positive; one negative and a multimeter for diagnosis. Someone educate me on all this E-plex / Silverleaf / Crestron stuff -- where are the advantages? Why stick your soft parts in this "bear trap"?? I am old fashioned enough to like turning on the lights without needing a degree in computer programming.
There are many reasons to go with a multiplexed system.

1) Simplicity for the owner: The owner only needs to push one button (say "watch tv") for a multitude of steps to be performed. This also includes simplifying the number of switches. On the larger high end coaches you can end up with >75 interior lights. It can take you a little while to turn all off/on.

2) Weight: This is big for the manufactures. Marathon in the mid nighties had gotten to the point they were installing a couple miles of cable for each coach. Not only is this extremely heavy, but the conduits needed to run that much cable were infringing into interior space. Now they only need to run a simple bus wire network through out the coach. I read somewhere Liberty Coach was able to remove ~1500lbs of cable when they switched.

3) Prestige: Home automation is one of the few areas coach companies can actually differentiate their products. Since most coaches already have 4 slides, we are sort of up against a new innovation barrier. If you look at a 2006 era coach, and a 2012 coach there's nothing drastic between them. Both will have 4 slides, both will have HDTV's, etc... This is not like the difference between a ~2000 coach (2 slides only?) and 2006. They have to have something shiny and new to get people to upgrade.
CorporateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougburi View Post
To all:

I am really glad that this thread keeps bringing up new questions. I am really interested to hear the questions that are on your minds and be able to share a little bit of my understanding of the systems.

dougburi: makes a good point and one that should be thought about in the development of any of these types of vehicles (or yachts for that matter).

For my company and the new ownership of the E-Plex product line it is actually a philosophy that we actually agree with. E-Plex is not the fix all answer to every situation or engineering opportunity.

Yes, that is correct, E-Plex doesn't fit every situation. It is one of the reasons why I really find the current E-Plex owner on the proper track. They know that their product has value when used in the correct scenarios and implemented properly. Stuffed in the the wrong shaped hole it can be a nightmare for everyone (Themselves, OEM's, and End Users). The sister company (same ownership) to the E-Plex manufacturer works with a large number of European OEM's and some of their customers don't use a drop of the E-Plex product line. By offering a variety of solutions they are able to employ the best engineering solution for the assignment.

So what is the right place for E-Plex. Well at almost 50 years old, I am still a little wet behind the ears, but I am old enough to remember working in the gas station and the customers coming in screaming, "$%###*?" about their new car with "fuel injection". They and the mechanics would stand around an dream of the old days when you only had a carburator. Remember how those parts never broke and anyone who was anyone could fix them if they did? Well that wasn't exactly true, was it?

And I am just old enough that I remember learning to program on my friends computer, a Radio Shack Model I with 4 K of memory... yep 4K. We all remember how easy the business world was before the computer, email, the internet and oh yeah... forums. My dad started his own business in 1983 and I remember when he bought a fax machine. He tried to convince my mom that it would revolutionize how business was done. Does anyone even use a fax machine much anymore?

So the point is, technology is marching along and we need to take what is good from it and use it properly in order to make the most of our products today. Technology used correctly can be successful and helpful.

What E-Plex is good at if done properly:

1) Making the complicated less complicated;
2) Giving the end customers features that would not be possible (or at a minimum extremely difficult without such a system);

1) Complicated Less Complicated: (Examples

a) A DC load module can deliver power to 1-16 DC loads with different E-Plex modules. Pick the proper module, put it close to the loads and you now have a system that is easier to troubleshoot (in some ways). If the module has power and is outputing power the wires (power & ground) only have to run a few feet to the load. We are not tracing a wire through a whole vehicle back to a switch or circuit breaker panel;

Just the other day I was working with an RV manufacturer (not Newmar) and they were having problems with a pocket door closing. They thought it was an E-Plex issue because E-Plex controlled the door's operation. I logged into their laptop and watched the operation of the system from Chicago. I was able to tell that the E-Plex system was doing its job properly. Ended up that the door was just sticking and needed lube. Some perceived E-Plex problems really aren't.

b) The wiring loom manufacturing becomes much simplier.

c) The OEM needs to make a running change to add a device to the coach. Attach another set of wires to a module's spare output and you have a new device added. And oh yeah, need to control it, change the screen's graphics and you have a new button.

d) Add intermittant wipers without having to add some special controller from the wiper manufacturer (seen more on yachts than the RV world).

e) The control items of the electrical system (AC panels, DC circuit breakers) can be hidden away (but still accessible) freeing up more room for real vehicle features. One of my yacht OEM's places all of the AC circuit panels under the floor of the cabin in the machine space because the outputs of the panel are controlled by E-Plex relays on the panel. Only reason to ever go to the panel is a tripped breaker... which just really doesn't happen... how often do you trip a breaker in your home?

e) the list could go on.

2) Features you can't (or are difficult/costly to) do without a system like E-Plex.

a) Having multiple locations from which control a load can be controlled. Well we have 3 way switches but can we easily wire a system to have 3, 4 or 5 inteface points without them being digital? Not really. Again in a coach is this really necessary? For some loads it is beneficial others it would never happen.

b) Mood lighting. Can you have coordinated lighting moods without a digital system? Not really. You can dim one light here and another there but can a single button press give you the proper dinner lighting without a digital system?

When I talk about people say I can live without that. True.. so here is an example of something we do that owners seem to love. We turn a button on a 6 button touch pad in the master stateroom into the "Night" button. Sleep time comes and the user hits it and one minute later all of the lights dim out and you are in the "Night" mode. Now that touch pad that had 6 buttons has been converted to only have 1. Press anywhere on the pad in the middle of the night and only the floor lighting (dimmed) and the lights in the bathroom come on (dimmed as well). Use the restroom come back to bed, hit anywhere on the touch pad and the lights dim out again. No hitting the wrong button and waking your spouse with the overhead lights and the lights aren't so bright that they burn your eyeballs out. Hard to do with a traditional 2 wires and a switch.

c) Consolidated control panel:

Well this is really it, isn't it? and with new technology this is what it will be about for a significant amount of time.

With a system like E-Plex you can roll all the vehicle's/vessel's features into a common touch screen for monitoring and control. This means go to one place and look at everything. Power sources, battery status, lights on/off, tank monitoring, leveling conditions, HVAC controls, Security Systems, etc. etc. etc.

This is one thing that separates some multiplexed (digital systems) from the others. Some systems can only do DC loads, some can't talk to HVAC units, and so on. OEM's have to research those types of features to figure out which system suits their needs.

So now, in a digital based control system not only do you have a central place to monitor and control, but technology has made it possible to do that from anywhere.

Most have probably seen that commercial where the wife is boarding the plane and is called and asked to remotely start the car. Well that capability is here and being used in the cars of today.

E-Plex can give its customers the same type of features in a couple of different ways.

If the vehicle has E-Plex and a PC onboard with access to the Internet (even cell phone based Wifi) we can provide the capability for the OEM and the vehicle owner to monitor and control the vehicle remotely. We can even troubleshoot remotely and see exactly what is happening with each electrical circuit or upgrade software/features remotely.

Additionally E-Plex also has the ability to link an owner's iPad or iPhone to the system and have it be a super remote.

Conclusion: A wise implementation of any system, digital or otherwise is required for successful operation of any feature. It is important to really understand the system requirements and possible system designs before a decision can be made.

The OEM has a lot to tackle in this regard and positive communication between OEM's and their customers/suppliers is at the root of this engineering process.

Thanks again for letting me blab about, hopefully adding something to this quality thread.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #26

yikes

Reading this post has me scared half to death. Having dealt with Cummins inability to determine the problem of no output from the ECM in my truck over a 7 year period (no injector timing adjustment), electronics is like dealing with the devil. I have yet to determine what works and doesn't in my coach, and have yet to even try to use it (Only had it since Dec 2011.) How does one determine what he has, what systems are affected if this system is present, and whether it is operating as required? Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Reading this post has me scared half to death. Having dealt with Cummins inability to determine the problem of no output from the ECM in my truck over a 7 year period (no injector timing adjustment), electronics is like dealing with the devil. I have yet to determine what works and doesn't in my coach, and have yet to even try to use it (Only had it since Dec 2011.) How does one determine what he has, what systems are affected if this system is present, and whether it is operating as required? Bob T
If you put the info on your coach in your signature, you might get some help. Otherwise no one knows what you're asking about.

Also, it's probably best if you start a new thread with your questions.

joe
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #28

Thanks for the offer, Joe. I really want to do as much of the learning myself as I can. It never hurts to have a point in the right direction, however. I didn't want to start a new thread because all the smart folks were already looking at this one. We have a 99' DSDP, 38'. I can't get a serial # right now because I'm not at home. I guess I'll get it when I get home and call Newmar and ask. As has been said before, they are as helpful as can be. Thanks, Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote