Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Folks- before you do this Allure business- search some more on this forum about flooring installation. I have mentioned this before. I will never own that material, or install it for anyone. Your results may vary-
We are replacing with Hampton Bay Hayside Bamboo THS, not the Allure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
We are replacing with Hampton Bay Hayside Bamboo THS, not the Allure.

You highjacked the thread though. This whole thread is about the OP installing some type of Allure from Home Depot.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
You highjacked the thread though. This whole thread is about the OP installing some type of Allure from Home Depot.
Highjacked? Merely commenting on the "Flooring" part and the fact that you might / might not have to deal with the rollers...SMH! and in case someone wanted to know what I was replacing with, have a great day!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #18

Replacing flooring

Thanks everyone for your input. Dmttransport, your unit looks exactly like mine. I took today off and went golfing and wanted to regroup and rethink this project. I will be returning the allure (the type with the glue strip on the one edge) I was aware that there was more types of allure and if not mistaken I believe a sales rep. Told me that the ultra allure was being replaced with something called simple lock. I will continue watching this forum for more info. I am definitely going to learn how to include photos in my threads. Thanks. Roger
Old 01-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #19

Posting photos

Test photo
Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #20
DJJ

Replacing flooring

Roger, smart move for you certainly don't won't to do the job twice.

On our way back home this past fall we stopped and visited friends who's house was just finished being rebuilt after a major fire. The floors looked great and I thought they were either wood or engineered wood floors glued down to the concrete slab. Turns out it was a floating floor.

Next stop, Port Charlotte to visit friends that just moved there into a newly built house. As soon as you walked in you could hear the hollow sound as you walked on the floor. That night on the drive back to our RV that's the first thing my wife commented on asking what was up with their floor. She went on to comment that if I had put that in our RV she would have been upset to the point I would have had to reinstalled carpet.

So since both were installed over concrete slabs it appears to me the quality between the products installed is everything. As I type this I should note that my friend up in Orlando is a retired trim carpenter and the one in Port Charlotte would not know which end of a hammer to use. So , Rob the carpenter would make sure a quality product was being installed.

I installed engineered hardwood, glued down, in my RV a year ago and we love. I am not saying that you would be unhappy with a floating floor, just make sure you get the best quality they make if you go that route. Also, If you go to a regular flooring store that sells to the installers and builders you would get better advise on the quality of the different products and they have a larger selection of samples.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Jeff, your last paragraph stated what I have been saying for years. It baffles me, that with such a small area, folks continue to use the cheap junk from the box stores.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Couple of thoughts regarding my wood floor installation, which ended up working out very well.

I spent a lot of time following Ernie and taking his advise. (I probably owe him a smoked turkey from Greenburg )

I purchased a Bruce flooring from Home Depot, the Vermont Hickory because it was engineered wood, Bruce is on Ernie's acceptable list, and it weighs less than most other choices.

To deal with the slide on the passenger side, which is all kitchen cabinets, I didn't want to try to tilt the slide by putting a wood frame at the top. I did some very basic calculations and I didn't want to risk the weight of the slide being too much for the siding to hold. Pretty darn expensive if it bends or breaks off the side of the slide! Instead, I just glued a wood transition piece to the side of the first plank that goes up next to the roller. As the slide comes in the roller will just "climb" up on to the flooring with no problem at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	117523  
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #23

Replacing flooring

Update on project. Returned allure (no restocking fee) thanks for more good advice. Ernie: I am now looking at Armstrong (natural creation arbor plank) it is the glue down type with butt joints. Have you had any experience with this product that you would be willing to share? Thanks. Roger ps: I am a little Leary about using the 2x4 to tilt the kitchen slide but I know that is what the factory does to replace the rollers.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #24

Roger, I had to make the 2x4 ladder. You measure the top of slide while it is extended. Build your ladder a couple inches less than the width. Insert the ladder- helps to have 2 people to handle that. start your slide to come in and you will notice the top trim raise to the ceiling. Stop the slide before it hits the ceiling and that way you can access all the old and install the new.
Any Armstrong product is good. Follow the directions to the letter on the adhesive bucket. Make sure the floor is 60+ degrees before during and a few days after so the adhesive will cure proper
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Jeff, your last paragraph stated what I have been saying for years. It baffles me, that with such a small area, folks continue to use the cheap junk from the box stores.
I should point out that the Armstrong Natural Creations Vinyl Plank flooring is available at Menard's (a chain "box store") and costs about the same as the Allure Ultra. Does that make the Armstrong Natural Creations "cheap junk from the box stores"?

I can't quite figure out what product you are referring to when you say "the cheap junk from the box stores".
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #26

allure- that product has been well cussed and discussed all over this forum and countless others
Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Couple of thoughts regarding my wood floor installation, which ended up working out very well.

I spent a lot of time following Ernie and taking his advise. (I probably owe him a smoked turkey from Greenburg )

I purchased a Bruce flooring from Home Depot, the Vermont Hickory because it was engineered wood, Bruce is on Ernie's acceptable list, and it weighs less than most other choices.

To deal with the slide on the passenger side, which is all kitchen cabinets, I didn't want to try to tilt the slide by putting a wood frame at the top. I did some very basic calculations and I didn't want to risk the weight of the slide being too much for the siding to hold. Pretty darn expensive if it bends or breaks off the side of the slide! Instead, I just glued a wood transition piece to the side of the first plank that goes up next to the roller. As the slide comes in the roller will just "climb" up on to the flooring with no problem at all.
Nice Job! The right thickness of rope will also work well for the transition.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #28

Replacing flooring

Earnie E. Two questions on your last replies to my thread. My passenger slide (approx 13 ft) I was going to build two blocks about 16 inches (slide is 18 inches) and place them towards the ends of the slide. You indicated building a ladder. Do you think maybe a 8 ft. Ladder centered in the slide would give better support for this procedure (makes sense). Second question: do you think I can get by with gluing product directly onto osb (particle board) . This would be better for me as far thickness goes . I could Install a thin overlayment and still make it work. Thanks again. Roger