Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replacing Main Sony 48" TV in 2017 DS 4369

Has anyone removed and installed a different TV? In our 2017 DS 4369, this TV is above the couch in a televator. I may want to replace this older Sony with an up-to-date TV from another company. The current Sony does not have dual-band wireless, and the wireless search function in the TV is erratic.

I'm concerned that even if a new TV has similar measurements, that the placement of the rear mount on the new TV may be different than the current Sony. I don't know if the mounting surface of the televator is adjustable or not. And, access to the back through the outside window is very limited unless there is a good way to remove the glass on the vented windows.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Kevin, I was looking at doing the same thing. In looking at the lift and dimensions I think it can be done without to much problem. May have to modify the brackets on the lift just a bit with some spacers etc. to get the perfect fit depending on what TV you are looking at. I think the 49" and 50" models are doable. I was looking at a Sony 49" QLED but haven't pulled the trigger yet. That will be a winter project.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN49Q...tronics&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR49X90...tronics&sr=1-3
Old 08-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The TV should have a standard 4 screw VESA mount. However, I am unclear how you gain access to remove the TV from the elevator. I will follow your thread to see if someone has an easy solution.
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKLindsay View Post
Has anyone removed and installed a different TV? In our 2017 DS 4369, this TV is above the couch in a televator. I may want to replace this older Sony with an up-to-date TV from another company. The current Sony does not have dual-band wireless, and the wireless search function in the TV is erratic.

I'm concerned that even if a new TV has similar measurements, that the placement of the rear mount on the new TV may be different than the current Sony. I don't know if the mounting surface of the televator is adjustable or not. And, access to the back through the outside window is very limited unless there is a good way to remove the glass on the vented windows.

I suggest an alternate approach to what you’re trying to fix. The Sony actually has a great picture in my opinion. Try instead using an Apple TV which feeds the TV via HDMI but gives you all of the wireless improvements and much more capability. Put the small Apple TV 4K unit in your AV box.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

We had a cabinet maker help us install a LG OLED 55" tv on the televator. the cabinet had to be lowered to enable us to see the whole screen which required a 2" high matching cherry wood cover for the 1" of tv still showing when stored for travel. It's all worth it, WE LOVE THAT TV.
2ndramtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I suggest an alternate approach to what you’re trying to fix. The Sony actually has a great picture in my opinion. Try instead using an Apple TV which feeds the TV via HDMI but gives you all of the wireless improvements and much more capability. Put the small Apple TV 4K unit in your AV box.
Neal: I'm not an Apple person, but I thought about a Roku device. The problem I see is that these sort of devices are designed for true unlimited 24/7 home Internet, and will consume many GBs of data And, these boxes do not provide capabilities for OTA broadcast like the Roku-enabled TVs.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndramtd View Post
We had a cabinet maker help us install a LG OLED 55" tv on the televator. the cabinet had to be lowered to enable us to see the whole screen which required a 2" high matching cherry wood cover for the 1" of tv still showing when stored for travel. It's all worth it, WE LOVE THAT TV.
Do you remember what the process was to remove the stock Sony TV? Do you have a couch under the TV?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replacing Main Sony 48" TV in 2017 DS 4369

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv_szy View Post
The TV should have a standard 4 screw VESA mount. However, I am unclear how you gain access to remove the TV from the elevator. I will follow your thread to see if someone has an easy solution.

Yes, VESA mounts on TVs are pretty standard, as far as the spacing of the screw locations on the TV itself (typically 200mm x 200mm). But they are not standard where the mounting screws are located on the TV. They could be in the middle, top, or bottom location of the TV. This is critical if the Televator doesn't have an adjustable mounting location for the VESA mount (which is like the wall side for the usual mounting in a house).
Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

We pulled the couch out, pulled the thin wood panel off and gained more access to the televator, also cut 2" off the top of the said panel. (And "modified" the bottom of the couch back to gain the lost viewing area.)
2ndramtd is offline   Reply With Quote