Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Replacing rubber floor edging in Ventana LE

The rubber edging covering the raw edge of the tile flooring at the entry door has split and is coming off. It is black rubber, L-shaped and about 3/8" by 3/8".

I'm sure I could buy more of the same material from Newmar, but am wondering if anyone has found something better to replace it with. It gets a lot of wear, being right on the edge of the top step.

Any thoughts?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
In our previous motorhome I used stair edging like this:

Of course I was going from vinyl flooring to the carpeted walls of the stairs. Home centers also carry metal edging specifically for tile that does not require screws, unfortunately you have to put it in with the tiles.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Following...I have the exact same issue...
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Such a molding could be secured with construction adhesive methinks, is screws are not doable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I was wondering about using a construction adhesive. I also wondered if holes could be carefully drilled through the tile without breaking it and screws used to secure the molding. I'll get into town later this week and see what I can find at the hardware store. I also have a friend in the flooring business, so I'll stop by his store and ask his recommendation.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #6

That trim shown above is the same as I installed in my LE 3847. The tile on my coach is vinyl base so screws worked just great. I didn't know you could get anything else in LE flooring.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well, I spent the day looking for solutions to the problem, with some marginal success. No one had any small rubber edging like the original, but I did find some aluminum stair nosing like Luv2go posted about. And, I found it in a nice "Spice" color that pretty well matches the existing floor tile.

The kicker is that the nose overhang is way too deep; it hits the hinge on the step well cover. I need to cut it down to just over 1/4" of overhang. Fortunately, I have a full woodworking and metalworking shop to work in. I'm torn between using a flooring blade in my table saw or a straight mill in the milling machine to trim the stock. Right now, I'm leaning toward using the milling machine as I think if would provide more control over the process.

The bottom line is that I could find nothing "off-the-shelf" that would work. I visited a local RV repair shop, a tile store and three hardware stores. I'm thinking that the "off-the-shelf" solution will probably need to come off the Newmar shelf.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Got the project completed today. Trimmed down the anodized aluminum stair nosing to reduce the vertical section to 1/4" to clear the step well cover hinge. I ended up using my milling machine to do the trimming as I liked the secure feeling of having the trim piece clamped securely in the mill vice while cutting.

Trimmed the length to 32" and installed the finished piece. The stair nosing I bought had a peel-and-stick adhesive on it, so will try that. If it loosens up (which I don't expect), I will drill a few holes and nail or screw the piece in place.

Sorry, but I can't seen to get the photos to post. I did it once before on another post, but have apparently forgotten some critical part of the process. Oh well!

TJ
Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
To attach photos, go to advanced and click the paper clip which should be to the right of the smiley face in the center. It should bring up pop-up to choose files and upload. The pictures should appear at the bottom of your post. There's probably a tutorial somewhere on this site but that's the basic procedure in a nutshell.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...here is one of the photos I couldn't load yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	136708

Can't seem to load a second photo; maybe you can only do one per post. As you can tell, technology is not my strong suit. Why forum designers can't make this process easier for us technology-challenged folks is beyond me.

TJ
Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Roppe is a manufacturer of rubber and vinyl moldings in Fostoria, ohio. Google them and find a distributor near you. they make the stair nose molding in many colors- anything but tacky gold metal

Johnsonite is another manufacturer
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did check Roppe, but they don't seem to make anything with a short lip on one side that will work. And, making a straight cut in aluminum is a lot easier than it is with rubber. I was able to find several colors of anodized aluminum stair nosing beyond the "tacky gold" (or, IMO, tacky silver). I chose a beige color called "Spice" that I think blends in fairly well with the surroundings.

The bottom line is that it works fine and the co-pilot likes it.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Very nice and clean work. Mine is coming loose too, but I don't have the machines to re-create what you did . Is your rubber coming loose on the left edge by the co-pilot's seat yet? I just noticed this weekend that mine is coming loose there too.
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
the reason I mention rubber as the color goes all the way thru and not painted on.
With the hinge for the steps, it is indeed difficult to cut straight. I have seen some large corian edge moldings on lots of Newmars
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana