Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Replacing the rope lighting in the ceiling of our 2003 Mountain Aire

Having issues getting substantive info regarding replacing the rope lighting in the ceiling of our 2003 Mountain Aire. Advice from customer service....."they are installed with hot glue". I replied, would a hair dryer or heat gun be helpful....response "yes". No response to query for additional information.
jwcgc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
It seems to me Customer Service is swamped right now. I sent a request on the second of October to try and get in to get my door adjusted before we leave for Florida the middle of November and just heard back a couple of days ago that they are booked until the end of November.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcgc629 View Post
Having issues getting substantive info regarding replacing the rope lighting in the ceiling of our 2003 Mountain Aire. Advice from customer service....."they are installed with hot glue". I replied, would a hair dryer or heat gun be helpful....response "yes". No response to query for additional information.
I am impressed that any manufacturer of any kind of product would respond to a question about a 12-13 year old product. I am not sure you can expect more from any other manufacturer in any industry.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

If you're trying to release hot glue, use 91% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Like others, my experience with Newmar parts has been outstanding. This is similar to another thread running. We have no idea what transpired on the phone. I also have to ask where this 5% gratuity thing is coming from. I've ordered several parts and have never had a 5% fee added.

Keep in mind, this is not Amazon where shipping is pre-calculated on everything you buy. When you call Newmar parts, your talking to a parts guy, not a UPS or FEDEX employee. Again, I've bought several parts and knew upfront that they couldn't quote shipping costs. The only time they did was when I ordered an entire table, chairs and buffet unit that had to be trucked. It was a flat rate to the dealer.

Lastly, can you honestly say that you didn't know that an RV manufacturer, car manufacturer or similar business ALWAYS charges full retail for parts. You ALWAYS search for parts elsewhere before calling the manufacturer, the manufacturer is the last resort.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It was my understanding that shipping was included in the quoted prices for the parts.
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had a few sections of the rope replaced in the interior... Tech just slowly pulled it out of the channel ...wired new section back in and pushed back into the channel with his thumb... No glue to speak of... Good luck
Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

The ceiling rope lighting was used well past 2003, so they are not necessarily responding to a question about a 12 year old product, but rather an element of the product used across a number of model years. I did hear back and am supposed to send a pic for further instructions. I agree with the last poster that one should be able to pull the rope light out of the channel....not sure what the hot glue issue is about, or where the glue is applied. I must assume the entire channel was installed with hot glue, but am not sure why the rope light cant be removed separately. As to the basic design of the lighting system, incandescent lights, unlike LEDs (which were likely not available at the time) have a limited lifespan, so, recognizing this, Newmar should have allowed for the replacement of the rope lighting without undue effort.
jwcgc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #9

I have rope lighting in my 2006, about 8 ropes running side to side. Every once in a while (once a year) I get 3-4 lights go out in one of the ropes. I tap on the defective lights with a wooden spoon (lightly)(pardon pun) and they come on again. And it's not always the same ones.
Have a neighbor where I am at right now (2004MA) who has a whole rope that is dead. These ropes run across and on each side they run into the top of cabinets, seems like one would have to remove some moldings to get access to the connections on the ends or are the connectors small enough that they could be pulled out and inserted back in?
Anyone been able to track down replacement strips?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcgc629 View Post
Take a wooden spoon and tap where the rope lights are not working and see what happens? This worked on one of our previous NewMar coach.

Terry
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #11

If replacing the rope lights you can start by knowing were the lights are connected which is on the passengers side. I have replaced 2 rows in the bedroom and 2rows in the front of our 04 Essex. Both sets of lights replacement were big projects with many of hours of work.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote