Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Which model number Adventium? I see few different out there. I don’t like the whirlpool either.
Model: PSA9120SFSS
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The Whirlpool in our WBGO is sorely under powered. Stuff that heats in 1 min or less in our home microwave takes 2 or 2 1/2 mins to heat in the Whirlpool.

Is this one of the reasons you switched?
It’s one of endless reasons....the Advantium is far superior in so many ways it’s like comparing apples to oranges. If all you want to do is heat leftovers and don’t care how it does it, stay with the Whirlpool.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
It’s one of endless reasons....the Advantium is far superior in so many ways it’s like comparing apples to oranges. If all you want to do is heat leftovers and don’t care how it does it, stay with the Whirlpool.

I am assuming you used the manufacturer supplied bolts in lieu of the Newmar sheetmetal screws. In our older Essex that's one of the first things I did when we bought the RV (used). I was amazed the unit didn't pull the old screws loose on the first set of railroad tracks.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #18

Did you do anything special with respect to making the door latch more securely like they did with the Whirlpool (so it doesn't fly open while driving)?

I had an Advantium YEARS ago and loved it. The Whirlpool is a decent microwave but a mediocre oven ... so I've been wondering about an Advantium. It's been so long I can't remember how well it performed as an oven. Right now I'm carrying a toaster oven so I can properly cook stuff, especially at temperatures above 350F. I need something that will perform well even at 450. The speed-cook is nice, too. I've done whole chickens in 45 minutes (with 120v model) if I recall correctly.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Whirlpool microwave stopped working at 18 months. We are working on replacing it with the GE Advantium.

For comparison, Whirlpool sells for $430 at Best Buy. The GE - Profile Series Advantium 120 1.7 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave - Stainless steel is selling for $1080 at Best Buy. Not sure if you have to buy the filter kit in addition. We will have it replaced at Midway.

Thanks for the pictures Jerry.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I too use a toaster/convection oven in addition to the microwave. I use it for french fries, pizza, sandwiches (broiler) ham/cheese, etc. I am not sure if the GE upgrade can do all this or I still need to keep the toaster oven?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I compared the specs, the microwave side is a bit weaker in wattage than my whirlpool. The GE is only 925W.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I am assuming you used the manufacturer supplied bolts in lieu of the Newmar sheetmetal screws. In our older Essex that's one of the first things I did when we bought the RV (used). I was amazed the unit didn't pull the old screws loose on the first set of railroad tracks.
I did use the supplied bolts. That is one of the reasons the new unit needs to have at least a 1/2” backing board installed so the bolts will clear the back of the cabinet above. Even at that, only 3 of 4 mounting bolts can be used but that is more than sufficient and a whole bunch better than the way Newmar screwed the unit in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C47CFC2C-3EBF-4549-8497-AD32F28F953C.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	213099   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE31EB1F-3BE8-4707-9320-C1EF7F3C544D.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	213100  

Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I too use a toaster/convection oven in addition to the microwave. I use it for french fries, pizza, sandwiches (broiler) ham/cheese, etc. I am not sure if the GE upgrade can do all this or I still need to keep the toaster oven?
The Advantium has a broil and toast function, but I have not used them. The speed cook function with it’s many preset functions just by turning a dial is amazing. Frozen pizza is a function, for example, and it is excellent. There is also a speedcook function for sandwiches that will do your sandwiches quickly, and well. You can go to the GE Advantium site, and look at the manual. It will show you all the pre-set speedcook functions. Be aware that within the functions, you can also vary for frozen, fresh, amount etc. We have a Breville toaster oven at home, have not felt the need for it in the coach with an Advantium. I have not used it for a couple of slices of toast, just use a small toaster that stores easily. The speed of the oven, combined with not having to pre-heat, when using speedcook is super handy. Judy D
Old 07-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #24

Quote:
I did use the supplied bolts. That is one of the reasons the new unit needs to have at least a 1/2” backing board installed so the bolts will clear the back of the cabinet above. Even at that, only 3 of 4 mounting bolts can be used but that is more than sufficient and a whole bunch better than the way Newmar screwed the unit in.

Agreed. For those that don't know what we are talking about, the original installs by Newmar had sheetmetal screws going into the outer cover as a means of hanging the front of the microwave. The manufacturer of nearly all microwaves frowns on this type of installation ... they include special bolts (for hanging) that go thru a reinforced section of the frame of the microwave.

In your case, nice clean and safe install !!
Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Nice job! The Advantium was a very expensive upgrade when we built our coach, but it’s clearly worth it.
This is a factory option? my DW loves it in the house
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Did you do anything special with respect to making the door latch more securely like they did with the Whirlpool (so it doesn't fly open while driving)?

I had an Advantium YEARS ago and loved it. The Whirlpool is a decent microwave but a mediocre oven ... so I've been wondering about an Advantium. It's been so long I can't remember how well it performed as an oven. Right now I'm carrying a toaster oven so I can properly cook stuff, especially at temperatures above 350F. I need something that will perform well even at 450. The speed-cook is nice, too. I've done whole chickens in 45 minutes (with 120v model) if I recall correctly.
x2 on the toaster oven.

On the other note: I think I need a need a new microwave and was wondering if there was a better alternative to this Whirlpool, so nice timely thread. <2 years old and the frequency at which it will not come alive when I open the door is high enough that I have anxiety each time I go to use it.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #27

Not exactly a factory option but what Newmar call a special that you can ask for.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Model: PSA9120SFSS

Thank you Jerry
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave