Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Any sense on timing of the next wave of routers with the 5G and 600 MHz band?
Based on past history with wireless technology advancement, the modem chipsets will be in short supply and high priced initially. The smartphone makers typically get them early followed by the cellular router makers much later. Verizon is saying 5G in 2019, so I would guess it would be 2020 before cellular routers get this technology. I would bet the 2019 iPhone announced next fall would be 5G.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #142

I will see if I can tether with Ethernet and improvevtve dropping problem. Or maybe and more likely the problem is myrozie.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Looks like the MoFi also has LTE-A.

I’m using the mofi. If you haven’t seen it, I have a thread and video in my setup in the tech forum.
MIT doesn’t have auto failover like the pep wave nor can I rebroadcast WiFi. But I’m ok with those limitations.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #144

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
I’m using the mofi. If you haven’t seen it, I have a thread and video in my setup in the tech forum.
MIT doesn’t have auto failover like the pep wave nor can I rebroadcast WiFi. But I’m ok with those limitations.
Yup, been following that thread and have watched the video. I ordered the mofi this afternoon. Hopefully it will will arrive to get it set up before we start our trek back to PA.

A little confused on the SIM - It says "embedded SIM", will see how it goes when it arrives.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #145

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I got the pepwave installed today with the roof mounted surecall antennas. I think this is going to work out nicely. As I already have a hole over my AV box for the weboost system it was simple to run two more wires down the path for the cell antennas. My setup is temporary at the moment with one more day of cable organization and currently connecting the WiFi Ranger to the pepwave via WiFi. I'll try the ethernet connection next time I'm at the MH.

Putting the MiFi 8800 SIM in the pepwave was simple as was configuring the pepwave for the first time (changing SSID, passwords, etc.). The AT&T Mobley on the other hand was like playing russian roulette. Obviously just putting the SIM card in didn't work. And I knew to get my PUK codes (pin unlock code) PUK1 and PUK2 from live chatting with AT&T a week ago. Wasn't too sure of the process but found the article from RVMobileInternet.com again and was lucky to eventually get it to work. You have to essentially fail to connect 4 times in the pepwave, put the SIM back in the Mobley, connect to it over WiFi and get to the Admin. It will tell you the SIM is locked and now you need to enter PUK1 and set a SIM PIN. If you fail to connect 10 times I think your SIM card is done so you need to be very very careful in this process. Once I set the SIM PIN I then put the SIM back in the pepwave and waited patiently. I entered the SIM PIN in the "optional pin" spot of the pepwave sim configuration area. It eventually connected, sigh of relief, I didn't toast the Mobley SIM.

What's surprising is the AT&T speed is about half of what it was from my earlier in the day tests prior to starting the pepwave install. I was getting around 25-30 Mbit connections and after the pepwave was in play it was down to 10-14'ish. I'm not going to worry about this just yet as there are a lot of factors involved (traffic/tower congestion, whatever). But it was nice to see the AT&T using LTE-A. Verizons connection was good. At some point I'm going to see how the speeds compare with the pepwave supplied internal antennas vs. the surecall roof antennas. I was surprised the crappy little Mobley antenna would outperform MIMO roof mounted antennas. Cellular can just be weird at times.

I'm pleased with the system, I really think putting the two SIM cards in the pepwave for it to manage and having much better antennas (hopefully) will be ideal and provide a more stable and often faster connection. I'll also have weboost available with a switch to internal antennas if needed.

I'm going to name my coach "Cheyenne Mountain" as I have so many antennas on the roof now!

More results to share in time as I continue to hone in the system.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #146

Newmar Owners Club
NealC - what AT&T plan are you using?

I was on the phone with their customer support and tried to set up the MOFI4500 that arrived today - that was useless. Their customer support insisted that the only device they supported was the Netgear Nighthawk and could not help me. I went to an AT&T store and the best they could do was 50gb for $50. Said they no longer offer unlimited data hotspots and I couldn't simply add it to my current plan which is their Unlimited Premier plan.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #147

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
NealC - what AT&T plan are you using?

I was on the phone with their customer support and tried to set up the MOFI4500 that arrived today - that was useless. Their customer support insisted that the only device they supported was the Netgear Nighthawk and could not help me. I went to an AT&T store and the best they could do was 50gb for $50. Said they no longer offer unlimited data hotspots and I couldn't simply add it to my current plan which is their Unlimited Premier plan.
I jumped on the AT&T Mobley connected car plan mid 2017 which is 20/month for unlimited unthrottled data (can slow if towers are congested but I've never seen it). Sadly, it's not available any longer but maybe it will return some day.

I'm 50/50 on AT&T vs. Verizon. I've been to enough areas where Verizon didn't work at all and AT&T did and vice-versa. No one carrier is the end all be all. I also have an Android phone on Google Fi as my tertiary system.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #148

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya I was lucky enough to get 2 unlimited hotspots before they yanked the plan. Going to try the pepwave and see how it compares.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #149

Newmar Owners Club
Any worries that about using the AT&T SIM in the pep wave? Tempted to kill the plan tomorrow and just using my iPad SIM
Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #150

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Ya I was lucky enough to get 2 unlimited hotspots before they yanked the plan. Going to try the pepwave and see how it compares.
Was told they yanked the plans because the unlimited data was getting "abused".
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #151

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Of course the unlimited data was getting "abused" in other words USED. I've done over 100 GIGs/month routinely. High speed data adds up fast! Update iOS devices, computers, Apple TV's, of course Netflix, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, the pepwave handles probably any SIM. The AT&T Mobley is a bit risky with their latest firmware update and how they are locking down the device. But there was a workaround as I described, just have to be careful. Had I used the pepwave before the latest firmware update it would have been plug and play but now with their recent update it's risky but now that the SIM is removed it's no longer at risk of firmware updates, but I guess they could do something to prevent the SIM from working outside of the Mobley device. We shall see. It's all part of the game.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #152

Newmar Owners Club
I tested the Mobi with the SIM from my iPhone X and got pretty good speeds. That’s what got me thinking about my old iPad SIM where they still offer an unlimited plan for about $30 and a prepay non renewing for $35.

The challenge for us though is that we’re not full timers and don’t necessarily need data every month.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 7.27.31 PM.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	226796
Old 11-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #153

Ok as promised I have finished testing my installation. This is the best I can do with current technology and it is working great

The entire installation along with the rationalization for various choices is fully documented at this web site:

Mobile Router | AireHeads

Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #154

Quote:
I tested the Mobi with the SIM from my iPhone X and got pretty good speeds. That’s what got me thinking about my old iPad SIM where they still offer an unlimited plan for about $30 and a prepay non renewing for $35.

The challenge for us though is that we’re not full timers and don’t necessarily need data every month.

Attachment 226796
I dropped by my friendly local Verizon cell tower today. Stood outside with my iPhone XS Max about 200' from the tower and this happened. I could stream two screens of 4k video from YouTube with this speed. Could be a lot of boondocking near Verizon towers.

Tags
wifi